Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GSM-Press Your Luck Ratings  (Read 5461 times)

pianogeek

• LET'S PLAY!
GSM-Press Your Luck Ratings
« on: June 09, 2006, 12:25:02 PM »
According to fast nationals,

1st- NBA Nation (ABC), 4.7/9
2nd- Game Show Marathon, 4.6/8

Great show last night.  But, I really thought this episode would get a good sampling and rank over.
-Sanford

uncamark

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2006, 12:29:45 PM »
[quote name=\'pianogeek\' post=\'120844\' date=\'Jun 9 2006, 11:25 AM\']
According to fast nationals,

1st- NBA Nation (ABC), 4.7/9
2nd- Game Show Marathon, 4.6/8

Great show last night.  But, I really thought this episode would get a good sampling and rank over.
[/quote]

I don't think anyone expected "Dance" to break out in its second series the way that it has.  And Fox is going to put a rerun of it at 8 p.m. for at least the next three weeks--you can be sure of that.  The NBA Finals didn't help either--are there any future games scheduled on Thursday nights?

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2006, 12:34:01 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'120847\' date=\'Jun 9 2006, 11:29 AM\']
The NBA Finals didn't help either--are there any future games scheduled on Thursday nights?
[/quote]
Game 4 will be, and Game 7 would be.

Doug -- and the countdown to 2000 continues
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

SteveRep

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2006, 12:41:15 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'120849\' date=\'Jun 9 2006, 12:34 PM\']
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'120847\' date=\'Jun 9 2006, 11:29 AM\']
The NBA Finals didn't help either--are there any future games scheduled on Thursday nights?
[/quote]
Game 4 will be, and Game 7 would be.

Doug -- and the countdown to 2000 continues
[/quote]
One thing that helps GSM is that it's up against the pre-game show. The game itself starts at 9:00.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2006, 12:46:23 PM »
[quote name=\'SteveRep\' post=\'120850\' date=\'Jun 9 2006, 09:41 AM\']
One thing that helps GSM is that it's up against the pre-game show. The game itself starts at 9:00.
[/quote]
...in one-fourth of the country.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

jdhernandez

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2006, 01:27:01 PM »
Exactly, Chris. Being an NBA fan, I watched as much NBA coverage as I could before Game Show Marathon was set to begin. (At least I got to see that SICK SICK dunk by D-Wade)

The NBA Finals... usually draw big ratings, especially when you have two great teams that excite people like Dallas and Miami. If this series goes seven games, don't be surprised if NBA Nation tramples the competition. Only 'cause I love watching both teams play, I hope this series goes six or seven games. :)
-Jason Hernandez; aka "Dimples"

Tomarken: "...somebody else could do this job!"

Rod Roddy: "Yes, I'm afraid that's true."

~Rod making a joke after Peter complains that it's Labor Day and he shouldn't be working on Press Your Luck.

FOXSportsFan

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2006, 01:54:20 PM »
[quote name=\'jdhernandez\' post=\'120880\' date=\'Jun 9 2006, 01:27 PM\']
Exactly, Chris. Being an NBA fan, I watched as much NBA coverage as I could before Game Show Marathon was set to begin. (At least I got to see that SICK SICK dunk by D-Wade)

The NBA Finals... usually draw big ratings, especially when you have two great teams that excite people like Dallas and Miami. If this series goes seven games, don't be surprised if NBA Nation tramples the competition. Only 'cause I love watching both teams play, I hope this series goes six or seven games. :)
[/quote]

As an aside, I certainly hope the Finals go 7 games...it has all the makings of being a classic series.  The Finals draw big but have really tailed off in the last 5-6 years or so.  The broadcast is great this year since the guys calling the game actually aren't phoning it in (i.e. Al Michaels the last couple of years).
« Last Edit: June 09, 2006, 01:55:31 PM by FOXSportsFan »

jdhernandez

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2006, 03:17:29 PM »
[quote name=\'FOXSportsFan\' post=\'120884\' date=\'Jun 9 2006, 12:54 PM\']
[quote name=\'jdhernandez\' post=\'120880\' date=\'Jun 9 2006, 01:27 PM\']

[/quote]

As an aside, I certainly hope the Finals go 7 games...it has all the makings of being a classic series.  The Finals draw big but have really tailed off in the last 5-6 years or so.  The broadcast is great this year since the guys calling the game actually aren't phoning it in (i.e. Al Michaels the last couple of years).
[/quote]

Thank you! Last nite's game was probably one of the most enjoyable games up until I changed it to CBS-2. Both teams excite me in their own way, and Dwyane Wade is becoming a star right before our eyes. The announcers are great this year, although I did enjoy Al Michael's call when Derek Fisher made that shot with 0.4 seconds left. ;-D

sorry this went off-topic, guys!
-Jason Hernandez; aka "Dimples"

Tomarken: "...somebody else could do this job!"

Rod Roddy: "Yes, I'm afraid that's true."

~Rod making a joke after Peter complains that it's Labor Day and he shouldn't be working on Press Your Luck.

mmb5

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2006, 04:01:54 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'120856\' date=\'Jun 9 2006, 12:46 PM\']
[/quote]
[/quote]
Bzzz.  The Eastern Time Zone has 47.0% of the U.S. population, Central has 32.9%.  So, for nearly 80% of the country, the GSM was up against the pre-game show.  The remainder is 5.4% for Mountain, 14.1% for Pacific and 0.6% for the others.  (Source)

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2006, 04:19:24 PM »
[quote name=\'jdhernandez\' post=\'120880\' date=\'Jun 9 2006, 12:27 PM\']
The NBA Finals... usually draw big ratings, especially when you have two great teams that excite people like Dallas and Miami. [/quote]
I'll be ready to watch the NBA again when its not a 3-ring circus.

Until then, give me college ball anyday.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Tony

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2006, 04:23:16 PM »
[quote name=\'mmb5\' post=\'120898\' date=\'Jun 9 2006, 03:01 PM\']
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'120856\' date=\'Jun 9 2006, 12:46 PM\']
[/quote]
[/quote]
Bzzz.  The Eastern Time Zone has 47.0% of the U.S. population, Central has 32.9%.  So, for nearly 80% of the country, the GSM was up against the pre-game show.  The remainder is 5.4% for Mountain, 14.1% for Pacific and 0.6% for the others.  (Source)

--Mike
[/quote]
This may merely be arguing semantics, but you, mmb5, are wrong.  The game did indeed start at 9:00 PM in the Eastern time zone (about 1/4 of the physical contiguous US) only.  True, 9:00 Eastern corresponds to 8:00 Central.  Still, only about 1/2 the country (land area-wise) saw the NBA Finals game begin at such a time as to allow the viewing of both it and the Marathon without missing any of the other.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2006, 04:42:12 PM »
[quote name=\'mmb5\' post=\'120898\' date=\'Jun 9 2006, 01:01 PM\']
[/quote]
Geographically, it's still one-fourth of the country.

/at least we know where to tell 'em to aim the nukes now
//point well taken tho
« Last Edit: June 09, 2006, 04:42:52 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

mmb5

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2006, 05:11:59 PM »
[quote name=\'Tony\' post=\'120901\' date=\'Jun 9 2006, 04:23 PM\']
This may merely be arguing semantics, but you, mmb5, are wrong.  The game did indeed start at 9:00 PM in the Eastern time zone (about 1/4 of the physical contiguous US) only.  True, 9:00 Eastern corresponds to 8:00 Central.  Still, only about 1/2 the country (land area-wise) saw the NBA Finals game begin at such a time as to allow the viewing of both it and the Marathon without missing any of the other.
[/quote]

Do Nielsen ratings count land area or viewers?  If you believe I am still wrong, please go back to your last place of higher education and ask for a refund.

--Mike

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2006, 05:17:01 PM »
[quote name=\'mmb5\' post=\'120907\' date=\'Jun 9 2006, 05:11 PM\']
[quote name=\'Tony\' post=\'120901\' date=\'Jun 9 2006, 04:23 PM\']
[/quote]

Do Nielsen ratings count land area or viewers?  If you believe I am still wrong, please go back to your last place of higher education and ask for a refund.

--Mike
[/quote]

Alright, enough.

Mike, he obviously wasn't talking about Nielsen ratings when you made your original post calling him wrong.

You're both right, and it is semantics. Now shake hands and move on with it.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

mmb5

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2006, 05:25:10 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'120909\' date=\'Jun 9 2006, 05:17 PM\']
Alright, enough.

Mike, he obviously wasn't talking about Nielsen ratings when you made your original post calling him wrong.

You're both right, and it is semantics. Now shake hands and move on with it.
[/quote]
Looks like you need a refund as well.  It's not semantics.  A land mass does not watch television.  People watch television.  Please don't make me use puppets.

--Mike