Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Toss-Up Tuesday  (Read 7556 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Toss-Up Tuesday
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2006, 11:56:47 AM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'121376\' date=\'Jun 14 2006, 07:53 AM\']
Point taken.  To me, recording a live sporting event and watching it later kinda takes the thrill out, especially if you know what happened.  You don't get the exhiliration of seeing it "as it happens."
[/quote]
That's true, but there are exceptions. I was lucky enough to attend the 1997 NHL All-Star Game in San Jose, the one where Owen Nolan called his shot to complete his hat-trick in front of the home fans. I taped the Fox broadcast, and I like to pull that tape out every so often to relive the moment. Sure, it's not the same as it was when I was actually there, but it's a fond memory that is nice to refresh.

I could totally see Ray Bourque fans taping the Cup presentation when he finally won one with the Avs, for that matter.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Toss-Up Tuesday
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2006, 12:42:13 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'121380\' date=\'Jun 14 2006, 10:56 AM\']
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'121376\' date=\'Jun 14 2006, 07:53 AM\']
Point taken.  To me, recording a live sporting event and watching it later kinda takes the thrill out, especially if you know what happened.  You don't get the exhiliration of seeing it "as it happens."
[/quote]
That's true, but there are exceptions. I was lucky enough to attend the 1997 NHL All-Star Game in San Jose, the one where Owen Nolan called his shot to complete his hat-trick in front of the home fans. I taped the Fox broadcast, and I like to pull that tape out every so often to relive the moment. Sure, it's not the same as it was when I was actually there, but it's a fond memory that is nice to refresh.
[/quote]
In that case, you were at the game.  In my case, I'd be missing the game entirely, then watching it at a later time.  Trying to shut out the world around me to avoid hearing the result and/or seeing the highlights is a headache I'd just as soon not deal with (it's not as simple as a) go to the concert, b) then drive home and rewind the tape).

Last night, I was beat from a long day at the office, so I didn't bother to stay up to watch the second half of the Miami/Dallas NBA Finals game.  Turns out I missed a heck of a finish.  Yeah, I could've taped it to see for myself what happened, but I would've been spoiled by hearing the result when I woke up (my clock radio's tuned to all-sports--I hardly listen to any of the music stations here ever since I got my iPod).

Sure, there are exceptions.  They just don't apply to me here.  :)

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Toss-Up Tuesday
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2006, 02:48:06 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'121381\' date=\'Jun 14 2006, 09:42 AM\']
In that case, you were at the game.  In my case, I'd be missing the game entirely, then watching it at a later time.  Trying to shut out the world around me to avoid hearing the result and/or seeing the highlights is a headache I'd just as soon not deal with (it's not as simple as a) go to the concert, b) then drive home and rewind the tape).
[/quote]
Oh, agreed totally. I stopped trying long ago. When the Sharks play on a Friday night, I'm not home on Friday nights, that's my game night. So I Tivo it and have the score updates sent to my phone. If they win, I go back the next day just to see the goals, and if they don't, I delete it unwatched.

But you're totally right about the taping to watch later, and staying in the dark until you do. It's just not the same and most of the time it doesn't even work. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe