Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Last spin for Wheel of Fortune  (Read 3611 times)

CherryPizza

Last spin for Wheel of Fortune
« on: June 23, 2006, 02:47:11 AM »
GAME show Wheel Of Fortune has had its final spin on Channel Seven, with a confirmation from the network that the program has been axed.

Australia's longest-running game show will not continue beyond the present series, which is hosted by Larry Emdur and Laura Csortan and is likely to last another month or six weeks. "We have commissioned our final batch of shows," a spokeswoman for Channel Seven said yesterday. "Programs have to evolve and we are working on other projects for that timeslot."

Ratings for the 5pm show were consistent, but station executives relied on audience forecasting to make their decision.

Emdur scored the role on Wheel Of Fortune in January after leaving Channel Nine, where his long-running quiz show The Price Is Right was axed.

But a spokeswoman for Seven said that Emdur remained an important part of the network. It is believed the new quiz shows being developed by the station are likely to include him.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2006, 11:29:46 AM »
[quote name=\'CherryPizza\' post=\'122219\' date=\'Jun 22 2006, 11:47 PM\']
GAME show Wheel Of Fortune has had its final spin on Channel Seven, with a confirmation from the network that the program has been axed.
[/quote]
That's a bummer. I thought it was a really good version of the show, and I'm not exactly the biggest Wheel fan in the world.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

ChuckNet

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2006, 10:23:39 PM »
And here I thought WoF had made a successful comeback Down Under following the disastrous 04 season w/Steve Oemcke...sometimes you never can tell. :-(

Chuck Donegan (The Disappointed "Chuckie Baby")

CherryPizza

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2006, 12:21:34 AM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' post=\'122505\' date=\'Jun 25 2006, 09:23 PM\']
And here I thought WoF had made a successful comeback Down Under following the disastrous 04 season w/Steve Oemcke...sometimes you never can tell. :-(

[/quote]

Yeah, I actually thought it was doing well too. It was a surprise to see it go.

CherryPizza

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2006, 12:22:59 AM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' post=\'122505\' date=\'Jun 25 2006, 09:23 PM\']
 the disastrous 04 season w/Steve Oemcke...sometimes you never can tell. :-(

[/quote]

So you noticed his struggle as host from afar, did ya?

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2006, 12:32:17 AM »
The changes that the Australian version made were a bit jarring, but once I got over them, I realized that there is a good game there. Instead of putting a premium on solving like our version, the Australian show rewards calling the right letters. (Which is just as valid as the solving of the puzzle). While I find our wheel to be garish and blinding, I didn't mind it down under, for some reason.

On the upside, that frees up a bit of television time. Now it's down to Temptation and The Deal. ;)
Travis L. Eberle

CherryPizza

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2006, 12:41:02 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'122519\' date=\'Jun 25 2006, 11:32 PM\']
Instead of putting a premium on solving like our version, the Australian show rewards calling the right letters. (Which is just as valid as the solving of the puzzle).
[/quote]

My biggest problem is that there's no incentive on the show to take the last risks, have those final spins.

Let's say we're in the final round with only a few letters remaining and the person in control is over a thousand dollars behind the champ. If the amount spun on the wheel were multiplied by the number of times the letter chosen is in the puzzle like in other countries (allowing some strategy), or the reward for solving a puzzle were still determined by the amount of money in the contestant's score (allowing the "the higher your score, the more prizes/cash you'll receive" incentive), there'd be so much more competitive play