Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Rich Fields -- How Does He Rate?  (Read 12749 times)

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Rich Fields -- How Does He Rate?
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2006, 06:45:11 PM »
It's no longer an audience of housewives politely clapping. The crowd is loud, possibly obnixious
The audiences were just as loud with Rod Roddy doing the show, yet Rod didn't use an exaggerated, over-the-top delivery which sounds more like a caricature of a game show announcer.

there could be a producer there telling Rich to fit in with the level of excitment the audience puts out these days.
Yeah, right. "Rich, we're after that 'Bob Hilton on steroids after a four-pack of Red Bull' sound."

Bob Barker was interviewed by radio hosts Don and Mike a few months ago and he was highly complimentary of the work Rich is doing. I think you're hearing what the "suits" want.
What else is Barker going to say during a radio interview? "My new announcer sucks"?

FOXSportsFan

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2006, 07:39:48 PM »
While I will admit that Rich was better earlier on, I'm not about to say he's a horrible announcer by any means (give that to distinction to Daniel Rosen or Roger Rose).  He's a solid guy, after all over 25 years in the business in credible markets have to prove something right?  He's a good copy reader which is vital for Price.  He has plenty of energy (okay, we may want the producers to switch him to decaf every other show to keep him balanced).  He has the timing down well.  And, while he may not have gained the following of Rod Roddy or Johnny O., fact of the matter is a lot of fans of the show seem to like him.  Those ingredients seemingly imply that Rich will probably be here to stay for awhile.

It's a shame that aside from a select couple of individuals who post here and have announced either/or the CBS or stage versions, it's tough to truly gauge and fully grasp just how difficult Rich's job is.  From the sidelines, I can obviously imply that announcing Price has to be the most active and verbose voiceover/announcing job in television.  Page after page of copy, being mindful of timing issues, keeping the audience in it as a warm-up personality, and so much more...a combination guaranteed to make you say...WOW!  What you thought I was gonna say Whew?

narzo

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2006, 07:42:17 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'122483\' date=\'Jun 25 2006, 05:45 PM\']
It's no longer an audience of housewives politely clapping. The crowd is loud, possibly obnixious
The audiences were just as loud with Rod Roddy doing the show, yet Rod didn't use an exaggerated, over-the-top delivery which sounds more like a caricature of a game show announcer.

there could be a producer there telling Rich to fit in with the level of excitment the audience puts out these days.
Yeah, right. "Rich, we're after that 'Bob Hilton on steroids after a four-pack of Red Bull' sound."

Bob Barker was interviewed by radio hosts Don and Mike a few months ago and he was highly complimentary of the work Rich is doing. I think you're hearing what the "suits" want.
What else is Barker going to say during a radio interview? "My new announcer sucks"?
[/quote]

Now you should know better than anyone how heavily produced every aspect of tv is these days, especially with new talent.  There's not an announcer/host/talent anywhere that hasn't been told, even the smallest amount, how to do his job buy a producer.

And if Bob Barker didn't care for his performance he didn't need to bring up what a nice job he was doing.  He could have left the whole topic alone.  Sometimes what you don't say is as telling as what you do.

MyCapableAssistant

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2006, 08:01:58 PM »
[quote name=\'Adam Nedeff\' post=\'122474\' date=\'Jun 25 2006, 01:41 PM\']
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'122467\' date=\'Jun 25 2006, 04:01 PM\']
[quote name=\'Adam Nedeff\' post=\'122460\' date=\'Jun 25 2006, 01:00 PM\']
Rich tells this story during his warm-up. He sat in the audience twenty-five years ago, and when Johnny O. asked if there were any questions from the audience, Rich asked if he could try his hand at announcing, so Johnny let him yell "Come on down!"
[/quote]

Hell, when I was in the audience for Super Password 19 years ago, and I had mentioned that I worked in radio, Gene Wood let me say the opening spiel (It's Password...It's Super Password!!!) during a shooting break.  

But unlike Rich, I don't claim that as my "big break", or any break for that matter.
[/quote]

Maybe I didn't tell it right, but Rich didn't take this as a serious "big break" from the way he told the story. He told it in a vein of "here's an interesting thing about me..."
[/quote]

IMO, the ONLY "interesting" thing about Rich is how he got the job as announcer to begin with. Period.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2006, 08:22:01 PM »
[quote name=\'FOXSportsFan\' post=\'122487\' date=\'Jun 25 2006, 04:39 PM\']
He's a solid guy, after all over 25 years in the business in credible markets have to prove something right?
[/quote]
No, in my experience, this pretty much proves nothing.
it's tough to truly gauge and fully grasp just how difficult Rich's job is.
Talking? As I've said before, and with all due respect to Randy, not a terribly difficult vocation.
...a combination guaranteed to make you say...WOW!  What you thought I was gonna say Whew?
No, but I'll certainly add a "wow." of my own.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

clemon79

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2006, 08:24:25 PM »
[quote name=\'narzo\' post=\'122488\' date=\'Jun 25 2006, 04:42 PM\']
And if Bob Barker didn't care for his performance he didn't need to bring up what a nice job he was doing.  He could have left the whole topic alone.  Sometimes what you don't say is as telling as what you do.
[/quote]
Bob's gonna say what he thinks will promote the show the best, with no regard to whether or not he believes it. If he thinks that commenting favorably about his announced will get more people to watch the show, then I imagine he would have absolutely no problem smiling at the Morning Zoo monkey and lying through his teeth.

dzinkin

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2006, 08:43:39 PM »
I'm amazed that I seem to be the only one here who thinks that Rich is neither God's nor Satan's gift to game show announcing.  (And before anyone says "I don't believe in either," you know what I mean and are free to substitute accordingly.)

Having met Rich in person, and knowing Randy through a mutual acquaintance as well as via this forum, I like and respect both of them.  Call me a diplomat (or a wuss -- same thing ;-), but that's how I feel.

clemon79

« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2006, 08:53:41 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' post=\'122495\' date=\'Jun 25 2006, 05:43 PM\']
I'm amazed that I seem to be the only one here who thinks that Rich is neither God's nor Satan's gift to game show announcing.  (And before anyone says "I don't believe in either," you know what I mean and are free to substitute accordingly.)
[/quote]
No, I agree with you. I simply think he's mediocre, and that there were some shenanigains around how he got the gig.

He doesn't offend me, he just very obviously wasn't the best applicant.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2006, 09:16:54 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' post=\'122495\' date=\'Jun 25 2006, 07:43 PM\']
[/quote]
Actually, judging from the poll results, you and Chris L. are far from the only ones.  :)

[quote name=\'dzinkin\' post=\'122495\' date=\'Jun 25 2006, 07:43 PM\']
Having met Rich in person, and knowing Randy through a mutual acquaintance as well as via this forum, I like and respect both of them. Call me a diplomat (or a wuss -- same thing ;-), but that's how I feel.[/quote]

And I'm in a similar mold.  I met Rich at last year's Congreff (while he was working the TPiR taping I attended a year earlier I did not take the opportunity to introduce myself), and I broke bread with Randy (and Chris C.) prior to attending said taping a year earlier.  So count me among the wusses.  :)

Doug
« Last Edit: June 25, 2006, 09:22:17 PM by SRIV94 »
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

ChuckNet

« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2006, 09:45:48 PM »
IMO, the ONLY "interesting" thing about Rich is how he got the job as announcer to begin with. Period.

LOL...although his work on Flamingo Fortune (the mid-90s FL Lottery GS) may have factored in somewhat.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2006, 09:49:32 PM »
Please share with us the dirt on how Rich got his job (keeping in mind that we have rules against libel on this board).
« Last Edit: June 25, 2006, 09:49:53 PM by chris319 »

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2006, 09:57:25 PM »
Now you should know better than anyone how heavily produced every aspect of tv is these days, especially with new talent. There's not an announcer/host/talent anywhere that hasn't been told, even the smallest amount, how to do his job buy a producer.
Again, having worked with several of the TPIR production people probably before you were born, I can't imagine any of them saying "Give us that cheesy caricature-of-a-game-show-announcer" sound. For one thing, they weren't getting it from Rod Roddy, so why would they require it of his successor?

If he would ditch the shouting and the exaggerated inflection it would be a tremendous improvement, and the poll results back this up.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2006, 10:25:48 PM by chris319 »

tjhornikel

« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2006, 10:53:44 PM »
I am not sure if shouting is Rich Fields style, or is the shouting a result of the direction he is given by Fremantle Media or more likely CBS brass.  It seems like the show is being told to go a' la Emeril, and "Kick it up a notch!"

As an irregular viewer of the show because of work and other considerations, I tend to see the changes in a big way when I watch TPiR. My general opinion of more recent shows is that they can replace any text they flash across the screen, such as "Bob Barker Studio" or "Fabulous Prizes", and replace them with "HYPE! HYPE!! HYPE!!!" The game is still solid. Bob just impresses me more and more each year he goes on.  But the show has taken on more of a circus atmosphere to me. Perhaps if Bob retires, they'll make a big splash, and hire Star Jones to host the show. <ducking huge tomatoes>
Tom Hornikel

I did NOT push Jim Peck. I just encouraged gravity.

clemon79

« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2006, 11:10:11 PM »
[quote name=\'tjhornikel\' post=\'122508\' date=\'Jun 25 2006, 07:53 PM\']
Bob just impresses me more and more each year he goes on.
[/quote]
Do elaborate on this. The man keeps making more and more gameplay errors as he gets older, then he covers by throwing up his hands, invoking EP fiat, and screaming "The contestant wins anyhow!" Then everyone cheers 'cuz something was given away and everyone forgets that it wouldn't have happened if the host did his job properly.

So I'm honestly interested in hearing what's impressive about that.

Neumms

« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2006, 11:28:05 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'122497\' date=\'Jun 25 2006, 07:53 PM\']
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' post=\'122495\' date=\'Jun 25 2006, 05:43 PM\']
[/quote]
No, I agree with you. I simply think he's mediocre, and that there were some shenanigains around how he got the gig.

He doesn't offend me, he just very obviously wasn't the best applicant.
[/quote]

Me, too. His being over the top doesn't bother me as much as his voice has no personality to it. He doesn't bring anything to the table.