Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Rich Fields -- How Does He Rate?  (Read 12742 times)

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Rich Fields -- How Does He Rate?
« Reply #60 on: June 29, 2006, 01:01:19 AM »
an announcer who is loud enough, speaks audibly, and does not have a bad voice. That is good enough for them.
There has been at least one show from Mark Goodson Productions on the air every weekday for over half a century. Mr. Goodson didn't build his company on "good enough". I speak from firsthand experience here.

And as a matter of fact, Rich was very busy..
For someone who isn't Rich you seem to know quite a bit about his schedule.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2006, 01:03:27 AM by chris319 »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #61 on: June 29, 2006, 01:05:38 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'122744\' date=\'Jun 28 2006, 10:01 PM\']
There has been at least one show from Mark Goodson Productions on the air every weekday for over half a century. Mr. Goodson didn't build his company on "good enough". I speak from firsthand experience here.
[/quote]
That said, and with all due respect, Mr. Goodson does not run his company anymore.

One would like to think that Mr. Goodson never would have allowed the travesty that was CS2001 to see air, either.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #62 on: June 29, 2006, 01:17:44 AM »
Mr. Goodson does not run his company anymore.
No he does not. He is too busy spinning in his grave.

My point was, without Mr. Goodson's dedication to quality there wouldn't be The Price Is Right, which has been on the air for over 40 years when you count the New York version. The show you see on the air today is the same hour-long show you saw in 1975, which was created by Goodson and his team, with incremental updates.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2006, 01:21:25 AM by chris319 »

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #63 on: June 29, 2006, 01:33:53 AM »
Personally, I can't stand Randy West's announcing style and feel he is the one that is like a cartoon character announcer.
Randy is a personal friend of mine and you have bashed his announcing skills. Am I feeling all persecuted? Am I going to launch into not one but two defensive rants? Am I going to ban you from the board? No, because a) you're entitled to your opinion, and b) I know, Randy knows, and you should learn that you can't please everyone.

Playpal

« Reply #64 on: June 29, 2006, 04:15:29 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'122747\' date=\'Jun 28 2006, 10:33 PM\']
Personally, I can't stand Randy West's announcing style and feel he is the one that is like a cartoon character announcer.
Randy is a personal friend of mine and you have bashed his announcing skills. Am I feeling all persecuted? Am I going to launch into not one but two defensive rants? Am I going to ban you from the board? No, because a) you're entitled to your opinion, and b) I know, Randy knows, and you should learn that you can't please everyone.
[/quote]

You are correct... and I agree. You can't please everyone.  My intent was not to make everyone agree with me, but rather try and stop the ugly, unfounded rumors around here.  And I did not mean to "bash" Randy.  Its just my opinion of his announcing.  Just like you feel about Rich Fields announcing.  

[quote name=\'JasonA1\' post=\'122741\' date=\'Jun 28 2006, 09:30 PM\']
I have nothing wrong with Mr. Playpal as of yet (and if he's a troll, forgive my ignorance) - he is entitled to his opinion....[/quote]

Thank you... finally someone acknowledges that I am just expressing an opinion, albeit one that differs from most of you. For the record... my post here on this subject were not meant to be taunting or inflammatory. If they have been misread, I apologize. I just felt, as a fan, I wanted to speak up for a change, rather than look the other way. While I have not posted here in the past, I have been visiting here for a long time. There have been many threads where this has come up, perhaps not "polls", but various derogatory comments made on everything from Rich's announcing style, to the way he looks, right down to unfounded gossip and joking about how he got the job. The various opinions on his style and looks are one thing, your entitled to think what you want.  But I just feel when you start making serious claims about someone, (i.e. his hiring) you should be able to prove it and cite a reputable source. I don't agree with the spreading of unfounded rumors, about anyone! That is why I ask for someone to speak up, and say what they know about this. So as a fan, for once, I spoke up, and have gotten met with (what I feel are inflammatory) comments towards me, from being called a troll to even being called "stupid" for my opinions. If you want this board to be fair and unbiased, then you should welcome a difference of opinions. It feels from the response I am getting, you welcome only those views that are similar to yours. That is okay, at least I know where this site stands.  I only hope that perhaps, the unfounded rumors will stop. I understand your loyalty to your friend on this particular subject, and do respect your opinion of liking Randy's style. The world is made up if many different taste. I would only hope that I could be respected equally for mine.   I did not intend to start such a heated debate.  So with that.... I'll leave you guys with this....To each his own!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2006, 04:26:15 PM by Matt Ottinger »

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #65 on: June 29, 2006, 04:54:55 PM »
Playpal -

You need to read the board more carefully. We have been asking for details on the allegedly underhanded way Rich was hired and none have been forthcoming. All we have is a vague allusion, and that hardly constitutes the kind of "ugly, unfounded" rumor mongering you so apoplectically complain of.

If you want this board to be fair and unbiased, then you should welcome a difference of opinions.
That is precisely how we run the board. You are free to express your opinion and you won't be sanctioned until you violate one of the rules, not for expressing your opinion, be it popular or unpopular.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2006, 04:55:54 PM by chris319 »

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #66 on: June 29, 2006, 05:32:58 PM »
Well, then, why was it necessary to add in the "personal friend of mine" line?  You could have made the exact same point without patronizing him.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

clemon79

« Reply #67 on: June 29, 2006, 05:58:54 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'122792\' date=\'Jun 29 2006, 02:32 PM\']
Well, then, why was it necessary to add in the "personal friend of mine" line?  You could have made the exact same point without patronizing him.
[/quote]
Oh, Christ, Mark.

dzinkin

« Reply #68 on: June 29, 2006, 06:27:54 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'122792\' date=\'Jun 29 2006, 05:32 PM\']
[/quote]
Mark:

Chris's reference to his friendship with Randy was not to be patronizing, but to demonstrate to Mr. Playpal that we do not punish people merely for dissent.  What better way is there to do so than to note that we tolerate even criticism of personal friends of the moderators?

PJTP?  How about KJTK?  (For the Yiddish-impaired: Kvetching Just to Kvetch.)

dzinkin

« Reply #69 on: June 29, 2006, 06:49:41 PM »
[quote name=\'Playpal\' post=\'122787\' date=\'Jun 29 2006, 04:15 PM\']
But I just feel when you start making serious claims about someone, (i.e. his hiring) you should be able to prove it and cite a reputable source. I don't agree with the spreading of unfounded rumors, about anyone!
[/quote]
We don't agree with it either.  In fact, in the past both Chris and I have revoked members' posting privileges for doing exactly that.  But as Chris pointed out, there haven't been any actual rumors here, just vague allusions.

That is why I ask for someone to speak up, and say what they know about this.
As you may have noticed, so did Chris.  No one has been able to elaborate.  Case closed.

I think that both Randy and Rich are fine gentlemen and fine announcers.  Sure, given the heated Randy vs. Rich debates here, that puts me in the minority.  However, it also should blow away any suspicion that you're incurring any risk for disagreeing with the mods about Rich -- not only because we don't punish people for disagreeing, but because in this case, you're not even disagreeing with at least one of us.

We do have criticism and debate in spades, and since Rich is in a high-profile job on a popular show, he's going to be subjected to a lot of it.  It's just the nature of the beast; it's not personal, and when it appears to go too far -- as you're seeing with the alleged rumors -- we demand proof or shut it down.  Period.

clemon79

« Reply #70 on: June 29, 2006, 06:57:46 PM »
Wait, though. What I want to know is this: what allegations?

Going over the thread, I see two comments with regard to this, one of them mine:
[quote name=\'MyCapableAssistant\' post=\'122489\' date=\'Jun 25 2006, 05:01 PM\']
IMO, the ONLY "interesting" thing about Rich is how he got the job as announcer to begin with. Period.
[/quote]
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'122497\' date=\'Jun 25 2006, 05:53 PM\']
No, I agree with you. I simply think he's mediocre, and that there were some shenanigains around how he got the gig.
[/quote]
I don't speak for MCA (Ad Rock and Mike D., however, have employed me as their mouthpiece for some time), but I know my comment at least was simply reiterating what we've been saying all along - that we're fairly certain the CBS poll on their website was in Randy's favor, that he was pretty clearly the best candidate of those we saw during the fill-in period following Rod's death, and that for some reason Rich was given the job anyhow. That wasn't meant to suggest anything underhanded took place, in fact it's more an indictment of CBS's claim that the opinion of the vox populi mattered with regard to the hiring decision.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #71 on: June 29, 2006, 07:25:47 PM »
None of this suggests that there was anything nefarious about Rich's hiring. All it suggests is that the CBS on-line poll was a sham.

clemon79

« Reply #72 on: June 29, 2006, 07:45:50 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'122812\' date=\'Jun 29 2006, 04:25 PM\']
None of this suggests that there was anything nefarious about Rich's hiring. All it suggests is that the CBS on-line poll was a sham.
[/quote]
Right, which has always been my point, and I for one apologize if my suggestion of "shenanigains" (probably not the best choice of words, upon retrospect) implied anything underhanded. I figured I'd made the CBS-poll-sham point enough that folks would know what I meant.

Steve McClellan

« Reply #73 on: June 29, 2006, 07:46:05 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' post=\'122796\' date=\'Jun 29 2006, 03:27 PM\']PJTP?  How about KJTK?  (For the Yiddish-impaired: Kvetching Just to Kvetch.)[/quote]
Sorry, that acronym is already in use.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #74 on: June 29, 2006, 09:42:17 PM »
I figured I'd made the CBS-poll-sham point enough that folks would know what I meant.
Our good friend Playpal is not one of your devoted followers, apparently.

Back in the '60s, there were shenanigans surrounding the hiring of Stubby Kaye.