Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hollywood Showdown's back!  (Read 4473 times)

FlashStash

Hollywood Showdown's back!
« on: June 26, 2006, 08:20:10 AM »
From today's Cynopsis...

The TV Guide Channel will expand its programming to include the game show series Hollywood Showdown. The half-hour pop culture and entertainment contest was acquired by the network and will premiere today at 12p, airing every weekday. The show has previously aired on both GSN and PAX and is hosted by Todd Newton of Whammy! fame.

aaron sica

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2006, 08:44:07 AM »
As verified by TV Guide's website, it will be airing at 12pm and 5pm (EST) daily.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2006, 09:04:12 AM »
Interesting.

Seems like they're worse than GSN when it comes to PR....did anyone know about this beforehand?
(It is reruns, I presume?)
--Mark
Phil 4:13

itiparanoid13

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2006, 09:06:44 AM »
Actually, no.  I searched every source I could online.  Cynopsis was sent to me early the morning, and that's the first time I've heard about it.  It's buried in VERY small print.

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2006, 09:55:51 AM »
I knew TV Guide channel would be airing a series CALLED "Hollywood Showdown" roughly two days ago, but without any other information, I'd assumed it was some entertainment info/gossip program or something...Not helping this is that all listings data I have has it airing as a 1 hour show, rather than as two 30 minute shows.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2006, 09:56:41 AM by Seth Thrasher »

scottua1

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2006, 10:38:54 AM »
[quote name=\'Seth Thrasher\' post=\'122533\' date=\'Jun 26 2006, 09:55 AM\']
I knew TV Guide channel would be airing a series CALLED "Hollywood Showdown" roughly two days ago, but without any other information, I'd assumed it was some entertainment info/gossip program or something...Not helping this is that all listings data I have has it airing as a 1 hour show, rather than as two 30 minute shows.
[/quote]
I'm not sure what listings data you were using, but I just checked Zap2It and, while they have it listed as a 1-hour show, they have the following description listed:
Hollywood Showdown Contestants take part for a week in a quiz on popular culture and entertainment.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2006, 10:39:26 AM by scottua1 »

uncamark

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2006, 12:31:48 PM »
Berman has a similar description in today's column.  I'm assuming that it's repeats and not first-run shows, because if they were doing contestant searching, we would've heard about it by now.

FOXSportsFan

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2006, 01:13:51 PM »
*Scratches head on the matter out of slight confusion as to why TVG would air it*

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2006, 01:41:01 PM »
[quote name=\'FOXSportsFan\' post=\'122543\' date=\'Jun 26 2006, 10:13 AM\']*Scratches head on the matter out of slight confusion as to why TVG would air it*[/quote]Because many of the questions pertained to television? Because it's just sitting in the vault not earning money for anyone? Because it was a mildly clever game? Yeah, those guys at TV Guide are a bunch of dumbasses for putting "Hollywood Showdown" on the air.

(The password for today is hyperbole)
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2006, 01:51:49 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'122544\' date=\'Jun 26 2006, 10:41 AM\']
Because many of the questions pertained to television? Because it's just sitting in the vault not earning money for anyone? Because it was a mildly clever game? Yeah, those guys at TV Guide are a bunch of dumbasses for putting "Hollywood Showdown" on the air.
[/quote]
All true, but what's headscratching about it is that to the best of my knowledge TV Guide Channel isn't known for showing long-form programming...most of their stuff are those little blurbs about upcoming shows and what-not, aren't they?

I don't think Jim is curious as to why this show specifically is being pulled out of the mothballs; everyone seems to agree that it was pretty well done and fairly inoffensive. The question is why this PARTICULAR channel.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2006, 02:08:55 PM »
Supposedly, TV Guide Channel has been trending away from the smaller blurbs about upcoming programming and such for a little while now, and is now heading towards longer-form programming.   Hollywood Showdown is  an entertaining and harmless little show, it's relevant to the focus of the network, and I'd say it was probably relatively cheap to come by.

Makes slightly more sense, I suppose.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2006, 02:11:40 PM by Seth Thrasher »

uncamark

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2006, 02:16:50 PM »
[quote name=\'Seth Thrasher\' post=\'122546\' date=\'Jun 26 2006, 01:08 PM\']
Supposedly, TV Guide Channel has been trending away from the smaller blurbs about upcoming programming and such for a little while now, and is now heading towards longer-form programming.   Hollywood Showdown is  an entertaining and harmless little show, it's relevant to the focus of the network, and I'd say it was probably relatively cheap to come by.

Makes slightly more sense, I suppose.
[/quote]

That's exactly why they'd pick it up.

In case you've forgotten, the Rivers bi--uh, ladies are now doing live red carpet awards show coverage for TVGC--when they're allowed on the red carpet.  :)

FOXSportsFan

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2006, 03:21:55 PM »
Mr. Lemon is correct.  I mean if the show is a dated show in some respects.  I know it's entertainment based which is why the logic of it being on TVG* might make sense, but a lot of the questions are dated (of course fairly recently, but still ex post facto) for a channel dedicated to current programming.

I liked Showdown and all...Todd's best hosting job was done on showdown and all, just kinda surprised me a bit.

* - Horse racing fans, I'm aware there actually is another channel referred to as TVG...fun channel, live horse racing and so called handicappers making idiots out of themselves and such.  Anytime I go tot he aunt's house, it's must see TV.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2006, 03:24:11 PM by FOXSportsFan »

Ian Wallis

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2006, 04:09:43 PM »
I'm assuming that it's repeats and not first-run shows, because if they were doing contestant searching, we would've heard about it by now.

It will be interesting to see if they eventually air the third season that we heard might have been taped, but was never shown on GSN.

I liked Showdown and all

I did too.  I thought it was a pretty decent show and GSN's best original to that point.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2006, 05:51:10 PM »
I caught the first half of the 5 PM show.  The show was from 2000.

Good heavens, TV Guide Channel did a horrible job slicing up the show so you get the aforementioned 4 minutes of programming to 6 minutes of commercials ratio.  Right after someone bombed at the Box Office round, Todd went to a new round...but TVG cut him off mid-sentence with a commercial break, prefaced by the Hollywood Showdown logo and a 3 second snippet of the theme.

Another bonus with these reruns is we get to hear the dulcet voice of Randy West.