Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hollywood Showdown's back!  (Read 4472 times)

tvrandywest

Hollywood Showdown's back!
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2006, 07:11:50 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'122558\' date=\'Jun 26 2006, 01:09 PM\']It will be interesting to see if they eventually air the third season that we heard might have been taped, but was never shown on GSN.
[/quote]The third season won't air because it never taped. There were 100 episodes taped in early 2000 for season 1, and 65 episodes taped in late 2000 for season 2.

[quote name=\'hmtriplecrown\' post=\'122568\' date=\'Jun 26 2006, 02:51 PM\']Another bonus with these reruns is we get to hear the dulcet voice of Randy West.
[/quote]Thanks! But warning: two episodes back-to-back may induce diabetic coma. Use as directed  ;-)

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: June 26, 2006, 07:13:50 PM by tvrandywest »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

tvwxman

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2006, 08:48:57 PM »
[quote name=\'Seth Thrasher\' post=\'122546\' date=\'Jun 26 2006, 02:08 PM\']
Supposedly, TV Guide Channel has been trending away from the smaller blurbs about upcoming programming[/quote]

Oh, so it's exactly like what they did to the magazine.....
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

TimK2003

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2006, 10:04:08 PM »
If Hollywood Showdown works for TVGC, perhaps other "Pop Culture TV/Movie" shows could resurface:

Couch Potatoes (A perfect fit) , Remote Control (likewise, but doubtful that MTV would go for it), and Reel To Reel Picture Show (could help pay for part of Peter's Salary that is still due to him).

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2006, 10:29:18 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'122587\' date=\'Jun 26 2006, 08:48 PM\']
Oh, so it's exactly like what they did to the magazine.....
[/quote]

Yeah, except one could argue the channel's better now. :)
@lambertman

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2006, 10:18:52 PM »
I don't seek out the TV Guide Channel very often, but on my visit to NYC I was surprised by two things.  One, the network appears on the local NYC basic cable on THREE DIFFERENT CHANNELS.  Any native here who can tell me why that is?

But secondly, yeah, a lot of the time -- in fact, just about every time I can remember going by -- they were airing some preposterously inexpensive but legit half-hour program.  A lot of it was shows-about-shows, of course.  The most interesting would seem to be something called InFANity, if you happen to be a fan of the particular show they're profiling.  My wife and I stopped and watched one about Scrubs that actually gave us a bunch of information we didn't know.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2006, 10:52:21 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'122660\' date=\'Jun 27 2006, 10:18 PM\']I don't seek out the TV Guide Channel very often, but on my visit to NYC I was surprised by two things.  One, the network appears on the local NYC basic cable on THREE DIFFERENT CHANNELS.  Any native here who can tell me why that is?[/quote]
I can't answer that, but my cable provider does the same.  Two of the three TVG channels had been designated for governmental or educational use since at least 2000, but have never been used.  Maybe it's an Adelphia thing? *shrug*

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2006, 11:56:33 AM »
[quote name=\'hmtriplecrown\' post=\'122664\' date=\'Jun 27 2006, 10:52 PM\']
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'122660\' date=\'Jun 27 2006, 10:18 PM\']I don't seek out the TV Guide Channel very often, but on my visit to NYC I was surprised by two things.  One, the network appears on the local NYC basic cable on THREE DIFFERENT CHANNELS.  Any native here who can tell me why that is?[/quote]
I can't answer that, but my cable provider does the same.  Two of the three TVG channels had been designated for governmental or educational use since at least 2000, but have never been used.  Maybe it's an Adelphia thing? *shrug*[/quote]
Well, that actually makes a little bit of sense.  Cable providers are required by local franchise agreements to provide a certain number of "access channels" for government, educational and public use.  (Here in our community we are blessed with an overabundance of them, which is why I have a job.)  If the local municipality isn't using them, but wanted to keep them "just in case," they may have agreed to let the cable company run their channel listings as a placeholder.  Maybe that's the deal in NYC as well.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.