Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Sonic Brand  (Read 1135 times)

alfonzos

Sonic Brand
« on: July 03, 2006, 05:46:20 PM »
Today's LA Times has an article about 'Sonic Brands.' The concept that just a few musical notes can remind a consumer about a product and perhaps urge a purchase. It got me to thinking how little sonic branding there is in game shows. The first game that came to my mind was PDQ. TNPIR and MG '73 also have it to some extent but that is about it. Game shows have distinct theme songs but none others with sonic branding came to mind.
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

Matt Ottinger

Sonic Brand
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2006, 06:25:12 PM »
[quote name=\'alfonzos\' post=\'123195\' date=\'Jul 3 2006, 05:46 PM\']
Today's LA Times has an article about 'Sonic Brands.' The concept that just a few musical notes can remind a consumer about a product and perhaps urge a purchase. It got me to thinking how little sonic branding there is in game shows. The first game that came to my mind was PDQ. TNPIR and MG '73 also have it to some extent but that is about it. Game shows have distinct theme songs but none others with sonic branding came to mind.[/quote]
Unlike the world of advertising, game shows aren't trying to grab your attention in two-second bursts, though you could make the argument that a lot of shows do have distinctive chimes or fanfares.  Millionaire's dramatic fanfare before a question probably counts.  The "new puzzle" sound on Wheel might be another.  And certainly, though the notes are part of a much longer song (all of thirty whopping seconds!), everybody can recognize Final Jeopardy music being hummed almost instantly.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.