Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Starface / National Enquirer partnership  (Read 4946 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Starface / National Enquirer partnership
« on: August 05, 2006, 10:07:17 PM »
So in between asking myself why the hell I'm even watching this crap, Danny pops up with a in-break promo, where he helpfully suggests that if we aren't getting our recommended daily allotment of celebrity trivia, to run right down to our favorite newsstand and pick up a copy of the National Enquirer.

This, just by itself, is already funny. But then he throws the cherry on the sundae with this little gem:

"The National Enquirer: It's like Starface in print."

Truer words never spoken.

(And, in this episode, with the clock in single digits and the contestant needing one more right answer to win, Danny thought it was more important to waste time emphasizing a wrong answer to try to get a laugh than to move quickly on to another question. The contestant was even calling for another question, showing he was more aware of the clock than the host was. He won anyhow on an absolute last-second wild-assed guess, but it was still unforgivable. The guy eats balls, folks. I await the response of the Bonaduce apologists.)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2006, 11:45:04 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2006, 11:43:32 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'126422\' date=\'Aug 5 2006, 10:07 PM\']
(And, in this episode, with the clock in single digits and the contestant needing one more right answer to win, Danny thought it was more important to waste time emphasizing a wrong answer than to move quickly on to another question. The contestant was even calling for another question, showing he was more aware of the clock than the host was. He won anyhow on an absolute last-second wild-assed guess, but it was still unforgivable. The guy eats balls, folks. I await the response of the Bonaduce apologists.)
[/quote]

Screw that. I'm waiting for the people who'll try to draw comparisons between that and the Temptation incident from two months ago noted on the show summaries. (They'd probably be apologists too, but still.)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2006, 11:44:49 PM by PYLdude »
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

cweaver

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2006, 12:16:28 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'126422\' date=\'Aug 5 2006, 09:07 PM\']
(...The contestant was even calling for another question, showing he was more aware of the clock than the host was. He won anyhow on an absolute last-second wild-assed guess, but it was still unforgivable. The guy eats balls, folks. I await the response of the Bonaduce apologists.)
[/quote]

I wouldn't say he "eats balls" (maybe I'm one of those apologists) but I didn't like him interfering with the contestant, either.  I can't stand it when Dylan does it on "Chain Reaction" (constantly) and I won't cut Bonaduce any slack for it either.  If that becomes a constant problem (instead of an occasional thing that phases itself out) obviously I'll revisit my earlier comments that   he wasn't as bad as I expected.

clemon79

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2006, 01:05:38 AM »
[quote name=\'cweaver\' post=\'126428\' date=\'Aug 5 2006, 09:16 PM\']
I wouldn't say he "eats balls" (maybe I'm one of those apologists) but I didn't like him interfering with the contestant, either.  I can't stand it when Dylan does it on "Chain Reaction" (constantly) and I won't cut Bonaduce any slack for it either.  If that becomes a constant problem (instead of an occasional thing that phases itself out) obviously I'll revisit my earlier comments that   he wasn't as bad as I expected.
[/quote]
And if it ends up being an isolated incident, I'll eat a hat. Ever since his career renaissance, such as it's been, he's always had this habit of being a attention whore, no matter whether he's the host of the show or a guest. This is the one place where he ABSOLUTELY needs to back the hell off and let the contestant be the star of the show for a minute, and while I'll belly up to the buffet for a nice phat plate of crow if I'm wrong, he's never done one single thing to indicate to me that he'll make that behavioral change.

LocalH

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2006, 02:39:02 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'126422\' date=\'Aug 5 2006, 10:07 PM\']"The National Enquirer: It's like Starface in print."

Truer words never spoken.
[/quote]
In my opinion, to be more accurate they should have partnered with the Weekly World News.
Scott Jones

Long-time Game Show Fan

Former Newscast Director

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2006, 07:34:49 AM »
Not apologizing for DB, but as long as the hijinx don't affect the outcome of the game, is there a problem?

As far as being an attention whore, isn't that why he's there?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

SteveRep

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2006, 09:00:07 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'126433\' date=\'Aug 6 2006, 07:34 AM\']
Not apologizing for DB, but as long as the hijinx don't affect the outcome of the game, is there a problem?[/quote]
That's just it. In the original example, DB's going for a yuck in the bonus round, less than :10 to go, the contestant needing one correct answer for the win.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2006, 09:42:29 AM »
[quote name=\'SteveRep\' post=\'126435\' date=\'Aug 6 2006, 09:00 AM\']
Not apologizing for DB, but as long as the hijinx don't affect the outcome of the game, is there a problem?[/quote]
That's just it. In the original example, DB's going for a yuck in the bonus round, less than :10 to go, the contestant needing one correct answer for the win.
[/quote]

If the contestant had lost, I might be inclined to agree.  Since he won, no harm, no foul.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2006, 12:19:39 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'126436\' date=\'Aug 6 2006, 08:42 AM\']
[quote name=\'SteveRep\' post=\'126435\' date=\'Aug 6 2006, 09:00 AM\']
[/quote]

If the contestant had lost, I might be inclined to agree.  Since he won, no harm, no foul.
[/quote]
Still.
Let's say it was Sale of the Century instead, you're down $10, and there's 11 seconds to go.  The host throws in a sidebar comment, and only reads one more question.  You lose by $5.

Still a happy camper?
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2006, 12:32:20 PM »
[quote name=\'LocalH\' post=\'126430\' date=\'Aug 6 2006, 02:39 AM\'][quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'126422\' date=\'Aug 5 2006, 10:07 PM\']"The National Enquirer: It's like Starface in print." [/quote]
In my opinion, to be more accurate they should have partnered with the Weekly World News.[/quote]
"To be more accurate" you couldn't be more wrong.  Weekly World News does not traffic in celebrities.  Their stock in trade is bizarre stories and headlines such as "DWARF DRACULA KNEE-HIGH ANKLE BITER TERRORIZING SEATTLE!" (Yes, actual headline.) Frankly, I think they get a bad rap since it's obvious that they're deliberately over-the-top and are actually more along the satirical lines of The Onion.  "Breaking News" on their website right now includes "Stairway to Heaven Collapses" and "Church and State Ordered to Separate", two headlines that would be right at home on The Onion.

GSN and the Enquirer are indeed in cahoots.  If they'd wanted a relationship with Weekly World News they could have; both tabloids are owned by the same conglomerate.  In fact, if someone wants to go in with me on a Headline Chasers remake with Weekly World News stories, I think it's a can't-miss idea.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2006, 12:58:30 PM »

Actually, he went for a yuk, and was lucky he didn't end up in a yucky situation.  Of course, it didn't help that the contestant was enocouraging this behavior.

Anyone notice how the game slammed to a halt in round 3?
This signature is currently under construction.

clemon79

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2006, 01:41:50 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'126433\' date=\'Aug 6 2006, 04:34 AM\']
Not apologizing for DB, but as long as the hijinx don't affect the outcome of the game, is there a problem?
[/quote]
If he's wasting the contestant's time in order to be a goofball, that creates the potential of there BEING a problem, and that is inexcusable enough.
Yes. On the producer's time. Not on the contestant's.

[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'126436\' date=\'Aug 6 2006, 06:42 AM\']
[/quote]
That is simply ridiculous.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2006, 02:57:17 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'126459\' date=\'Aug 6 2006, 01:41 PM\']
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'126433\' date=\'Aug 6 2006, 04:34 AM\']
[/quote]
If he's wasting the contestant's time in order to be a goofball, that creates the potential of there BEING a problem, and that is inexcusable enough.
Yes. On the producer's time. Not on the contestant's.

[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'126436\' date=\'Aug 6 2006, 06:42 AM\']
[/quote]
That is simply ridiculous.
[/quote]

Maybe I'm missing something.  I don't see where there is cause for complaint.  He won, right?

clemon79

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2006, 03:05:45 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'126466\' date=\'Aug 6 2006, 11:57 AM\']
Maybe I'm missing something.  I don't see where there is cause for complaint.  He won, right?
[/quote]
The complaint is not that the contestant was jobbed. The complaint is that Bonaduce is an even more intolerable host than we originally thought because his behavior is creating situations where a contestant COULD get jobbed.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2006, 03:13:59 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'126470\' date=\'Aug 6 2006, 03:05 PM\']
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'126466\' date=\'Aug 6 2006, 11:57 AM\']
[/quote]
The complaint is not that the contestant was jobbed. The complaint is that Bonaduce is an even more intolerable host than we originally thought because his behavior is creating situations where a contestant COULD get jobbed.
[/quote]

I would hope they would give a wronged contestant extra time to make up for the transgression.  I fear nowadays, they would just do retakes until the desired outcome is reached.