Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Family Feud this year...  (Read 41504 times)

BrandonFG

Family Feud this year...
« Reply #120 on: August 27, 2006, 04:20:36 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'129352\' date=\'Aug 27 2006, 04:19 PM\']
It's funny...Karn did the show for four years and looked at the end like he started yesterday.  O'Hurley started essentially yesterday and already looks like he's been on for four years.
[/quote]
Class, Irony or coincidence? :-P
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Family Feud this year...
« Reply #121 on: August 27, 2006, 04:33:50 PM »
They just added a clip of the intro. I don't know if Burton chooses to deliver it the way he does, but it sounds awful. And they kept the awful pre host intro pun. But again, so much is better and yada yada....it just sucks such a good show has to start in a compartively poorer fashion for the viewer.

-Jason
« Last Edit: August 27, 2006, 04:34:14 PM by JasonA1 »
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Family Feud this year...
« Reply #122 on: August 27, 2006, 04:51:12 PM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' post=\'129356\' date=\'Aug 27 2006, 01:33 PM\']
They just added a clip of the intro. I don't know if Burton chooses to deliver it the way he does, but it sounds awful.
[/quote]
Ya know, frankly, anytime Burton wants to slip into Russian-Roulette mode instead of Top-40-Pukey-DJ mode, I'm completely willing to let him do it. It makes him an almost tolerable announcer instead of an utterly worthless one.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

whewfan

Family Feud this year...
« Reply #123 on: August 27, 2006, 05:02:23 PM »
Here's my take...

The intro: Visually it looks great, and they obviously thought much of the Feud fans resurrecting the old intro. The punny host intro... well, just like the logo, I think we can look past it. We can't expect Burton to do the intro the exact same way Gene Wood did it. You may recall that when Gene Wood first did the intros for Feud, he sounded MUCH more over the top.. maybe Burton will fine tune the intro as the series progresses.

The set: A very nice mix of the classic look and a 21st century flair. I also like the in the round setup. The lights and lighting effects look like they belong. Also, although you can't really see it, it looks like the lights on the gameboard flash in the same manner when the family scores the points for the round.

O'Hurley as host: Wow! Finally a host that can make the players shine! That's one of the many things Feud has been missing. When Louie hosted, he could be funny, but he also could look very lost. As Howard Felscher put it, Louie wouldn't be able to tell you the names of the players after the show. When Karn hosted, sure he knew the mechanics of the game, and ran it like a well-oiled machine, but unfortunately he also came across as a bit mechanical. Karn was more focused on keeping the game moving, and not giving us any reason to care about or like any of the family members, and root them on through to Fast Money. The ONLY thing I notice about John (and this is a VERY minor nitpick) is that he hasn't figured out how to position himself at the faceoff podium. The way his free hand clutches onto the podium suggests that he's quite nervous, but I have to say that based on what I saw, I could enjoy the Feud a LOT more now.

Other quirks: DOUBLE THE POINTS... looks like that's GONE.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Family Feud this year...
« Reply #124 on: August 27, 2006, 05:46:20 PM »

If you go back a few posts, it was quite rightly noted that a double or triple round's clip started off in the mid of the audience's whooping and hollering. It might just not be represented in full on YouTube is all.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

BrandonFG

Family Feud this year...
« Reply #125 on: August 27, 2006, 06:06:56 PM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' post=\'129361\' date=\'Aug 27 2006, 05:46 PM\']

If you go back a few posts, it was quite rightly noted that a double or triple round's clip started off in the mid of the audience's whooping and hollering. It might just not be represented in full on YouTube is all.
[/quote]
I noticed that too, but there is a YouTube clip (don't remember which one), where John very casually mentions the doubled or tripled points, and was not interrupted by hootin' and hollerin'.

I'm starting to have faith in game shows again.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2006, 06:07:46 PM by fostergray82 »
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

FeudDude

Family Feud this year...
« Reply #126 on: August 27, 2006, 06:25:45 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'129362\' date=\'Aug 27 2006, 06:06 PM\']
I noticed that too, but there is a YouTube clip (don't remember which one), where John very casually mentions the doubled or tripled points, and was not interrupted by hootin' and hollerin'.
[/quote]

And even in the clip with the hootin' and hollerin', it didn't sound like John was begging for applause the way Richard Karn used to.

John's impressing me more with every clip I watch.  I wonder if they had thought of hiring him in 2002 - TTTT had just been cancelled, after all.

As for the intro - well, Burton seems to be making some effort not to puke, but now he sounds like he has a cold, and he can't seem to decide whether he wants to sound dramatic or goofy.  But it's good to see the families posing again.

MikeK

• Martha!
Family Feud this year...
« Reply #127 on: August 27, 2006, 07:00:29 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'129359\' date=\'Aug 27 2006, 04:51 PM\']Ya know, frankly, anytime Burton wants to slip into Russian-Roulette mode instead of Top-40-Pukey-DJ mode, I'm completely willing to let him do it. It makes him an almost tolerable announcer instead of an utterly worthless one.[/quote]
This was something mentioned between a fellow board member and myself last night.  What you get on Feud isn't any sort of pukey DJ mode.  That's Burton's normal conversation voice.  When he announces, it's his voice with a little more oomph.  If it comes across as Burton putting so much energy into announcing that it sounds like my insides will be coughed up after the host intro, there's nothing Burton can do about it.

/LA airfare--$420.  (Heh, I said 420!)
//GSC admission--$100.
///Hearing Burton say "Alter Cockers"?  Abso-frickin-lutely priceless.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Family Feud this year...
« Reply #128 on: August 27, 2006, 07:10:59 PM »
[quote name=\'MikeK\' post=\'129368\' date=\'Aug 27 2006, 04:00 PM\']
If it comes across as Burton putting so much energy into announcing that it sounds like my insides will be coughed up after the host intro, there's nothing Burton can do about it.
[/quote]
Sorry, no, Burton pukes. On every show aside from RR, Burton has been a huge puker. (Be aware that I'm using "puke" in the broadcast sense, it has nothing to do with actual vomiting.)

Puking is not a normal way of speaking. There is ALWAYS something you can do about it.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

mparrish11

• Marriage is the leading cause of divorce.
Family Feud this year...
« Reply #129 on: August 27, 2006, 07:37:32 PM »
I just saw the clips and I'm very impressed with the hosting style of John O'Hurley.  Not since Ray Combs has the host been able to emcee the Feud and also be a genuine part of the show.  Aside from the very uninspiring Burton Richardson, who sounds extremely out of his element, the show is excellent.
--Matt

FeudDude

Family Feud this year...
« Reply #130 on: August 27, 2006, 09:08:10 PM »
FWIW, I listened to that interview that Da Perf did with Burton, and I'd say that his natural speaking voice sounds closer to his Russian Roulette voice than to his "normal" announcing voice.

Matt Ottinger

Family Feud this year...
« Reply #131 on: August 27, 2006, 09:18:06 PM »
[quote name=\'FeudDude\' post=\'129381\' date=\'Aug 27 2006, 09:08 PM\']
FWIW, I listened to that interview that Da Perf did with Burton, and I'd say that his natural speaking voice sounds closer to his Russian Roulette voice than to his "normal" announcing voice.[/quote]
I'm not sure how you could assume that an interview that he knew was going to be downloaded was his "natural" voice.  Even the doofus who hosts QuizBusters on a local station knows to be "on" if an interview is being recorded.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Casey Buck

Family Feud this year...
« Reply #132 on: August 27, 2006, 09:19:24 PM »
There's a new clip up from a Triple round. The audience still cheers when John says "To make things really interesting, we're going to triple the points."

Fortunately, John is a lot more calm when he says that.

tpirfan28

Family Feud this year...
« Reply #133 on: August 27, 2006, 09:20:32 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'129372\' date=\'Aug 27 2006, 07:10 PM\']
[quote name=\'MikeK\' post=\'129368\' date=\'Aug 27 2006, 04:00 PM\']
If it comes across as Burton putting so much energy into announcing that it sounds like my insides will be coughed up after the host intro, there's nothing Burton can do about it.
[/quote]
Sorry, no, Burton pukes. On every show aside from RR, Burton has been a huge puker. (Be aware that I'm using "puke" in the broadcast sense, it has nothing to do with actual vomiting.)

Puking is not a normal way of speaking. There is ALWAYS something you can do about it.
[/quote]

Feud seems to be a hard game to announce, surprisingly.  Gene Wood pulled it off to a T.  I don't know of any current announcer that would handle it well (Maybe Johnny Gilbert...maybe), as proven by GSM, and these clips.

Now, on to John.  He seems to have the professionalism that this version's has lacked.  He also has a swagger of Dawson in him (see the "In the Bath" question).  I'm really liking his hosting swagger.

The set...WOW!  Really a very modern adaptation of the set.  I don't mind it being modern because it is 2006.  What I don't like...

- The audience in the set thingy.  Just too cluttered.
 - The survey board.  This was the prime opportunity to revert back to a more classic survey board...but no...they use the more modern one.

All in all...I'm waiting to see this in its entirety soon!
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

TonicBH

Family Feud this year...
« Reply #134 on: August 27, 2006, 09:32:30 PM »
One thing I gotta mention, and it kinda bothers me: Once the points are put into the team's bank, they stick to the old "zoom in on winning family" camera angle instead of going something more old-school and zooming on the family who just scored.

This also causes a problem as most of the clips don't show what the scores are, and that'll be a problem if you're gonna use the old gameboard style.
You Found a Secret Area: The place where I write about dumb game show and video game stuff occasionally.