Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: It's time for another of my oddball queries  (Read 6874 times)

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
It's time for another of my oddball queries
« on: August 19, 2006, 01:21:37 AM »
I'm asking this of you guys because I don't remember seeing it before, so I don't know how this would be conducted.

Say, f'rinstance, there are two categories left on the Pyramid board (the $25000/$100000 version, not Donnymid), and one team has to get a certain amount of answers right to stay in the game and take it to a final category. Also, say that one of the categories is either the 7-11 or Mystery 7, and this particular team does not pick it. Then, say that they crap out and don't catch up.

Now, in that case, I wanna know which rules apply: do they let the other team play for the $1100 or the mystery prize, like they would if they picked the category last and only needed X amount of points to win, or do they go right to the Winner's Circle as procedure would normally dictate?

I know the answer is probably obvious, but you can never be too sure- you think things are one way, and they turn out to be a whole different one entirely.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Gus

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2006, 01:37:21 AM »
The opportunity to win the bonus is always given, even if the game has been decided. In the case above, Dick would likely mention that he's going to the Winner's Circle* no matter what, and that he's playing the round for the bonus prize.

*There's a reason I didn't abbreviate that ^_^

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2006, 01:41:07 AM »
[quote name=\'Gus\' post=\'128001\' date=\'Aug 19 2006, 01:37 AM\']
The opportunity to win the bonus is always given, even if the game has been decided. In the case above, Dick would likely mention that he's going to the Winner's Circle no matter what, and that he's playing the round for the bonus prize.

[/quote]

That's what I thought...just needed confirmation. Thanks a bunch.

(Cheap jokes aside.)
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2006, 04:48:20 AM »
[quote name=\'Gus\' post=\'128001\' date=\'Aug 18 2006, 10:37 PM\']
The opportunity to win the bonus is always given, even if the game has been decided. In the case above, Dick would likely mention that he's going to the Winner's Circle* no matter what, and that he's playing the round for the bonus prize.
[/quote]
Can you say that with 100% certainty? Did that situation ever come up on the show? The lack of a need to play the final category happened so seldom on the show, that I question whether you can say conclusively if that was in fact how it worked.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Brandon Brooks

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2006, 05:50:31 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'128010\' date=\'Aug 19 2006, 03:48 AM\']
[quote name=\'Gus\' post=\'128001\' date=\'Aug 18 2006, 10:37 PM\']
[/quote]
Can you say that with 100% certainty? Did that situation ever come up on the show? The lack of a need to play the final category happened so seldom on the show, that I question whether you can say conclusively if that was in fact how it worked.
[/quote]
Oh, definitely.  I can't rattle off Horanesque dates, but if the bonus card was the last to be picked, all six catergories would always be played.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2006, 05:50:56 AM by Brandon Brooks »

tpirfan28

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2006, 08:29:02 AM »
The closest that I can come to any sort of verification of this is one ep. I have on tape...it's not exactly the same scenario, but I'm sure that the scenario presented would play out the same way.

Team A pulls the second-to-last category, which leaves the 7-11.  They get some, but only take a lead of like 3 points.  I remember Mr. Clark saying that the other team will play all 7 or until time ran out so that the $1,100 can be given out
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

BrandonFG

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2006, 09:48:29 AM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'128013\' date=\'Aug 19 2006, 08:29 AM\']
Team A pulls the second-to-last category, which leaves the 7-11.  They get some, but only take a lead of like 3 points.  I remember Mr. Clark saying that the other team will play all 7 or until time ran out so that the $1,100 can be given out
[/quote]
Indeed...I want to say on some occasions he would tell the audience to hold their applause. If they got 7/7, the "WINNERS" graphic flashed, with a "$1,100" graphic right above that.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

tpirfan28

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2006, 10:33:24 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'128016\' date=\'Aug 19 2006, 09:48 AM\']
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'128013\' date=\'Aug 19 2006, 08:29 AM\']
[/quote]
Indeed...I want to say on some occasions he would tell the audience to hold their applause. If they got 7/7, the "WINNERS" graphic flashed, with a "$1,100" graphic right above that.
[/quote]

When I'm back home from college sometime...I'll try to get a clip.  I do remember on that particular clip, he said "audience, please hold you applause so that they can get the full 7 and the bonus."  And yes, it was $1,100 and the winner's graphic.  I would assume that if the Mystery 7 was also won, that protocol would also be used, just the $1,100 was changed to whatever prize it was.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2006, 11:23:41 AM »
Do they play the bonus if a game ends after four rounds? I don't think they did, but I figured this would be the best time for me to ask and verify.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

Brandon Brooks

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2006, 11:32:14 AM »
[quote name=\'rollercoaster87\' post=\'128023\' date=\'Aug 19 2006, 10:23 AM\']
Do they play the bonus if a game ends after four rounds? I don't think they did, but I figured this would be the best time for me to ask and verify.
[/quote]
Semantics, I know, but without the tie breaker, there are only three rounds per match.  Has this ever happened?  They've always played the bonus, I just can't see a reason why they wouldn't after two rounds, even if the game is decided.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2006, 11:35:18 AM by Brandon Brooks »

Jay Temple

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2006, 12:12:12 PM »
There weren't many games that lopsided in the 25/100 era, but I think I saw a game in the New York era where the game was decided in four rounds, and the Big 7 was behind one of the two remaining categories. They let the team that had already lost choose first. They picked the Big 7 and played it out. (I don't recall whether they won it.)
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

Brandon Brooks

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2006, 12:37:37 PM »
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' post=\'128031\' date=\'Aug 19 2006, 11:12 AM\']
There weren't many games that lopsided in the 25/100 era, but I think I saw a game in the New York era where the game was decided in four rounds, and the Big 7 was behind one of the two remaining categories. They let the team that had already lost choose first. They picked the Big 7 and played it out. (I don't recall whether they won it.)
[/quote]
That makes sense... the team behind always had choice of the fifth category.

/guess what's the number one game show was on my list of fifty
« Last Edit: August 19, 2006, 12:39:01 PM by Brandon Brooks »

tpirfan28

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2006, 02:10:14 PM »
[quote name=\'Brandon Brooks\' post=\'128033\' date=\'Aug 19 2006, 12:37 PM\']
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' post=\'128031\' date=\'Aug 19 2006, 11:12 AM\']
[/quote]
That makes sense... the team behind always had choice of the fifth category.

/guess what's the number one game show was on my list of fifty
[/quote]

...and if that was the case, and you were behind THAT much, then didn't pick the bonus, you would have incredibly bad luck.

/if I ever compile a list of 50, this one...top 3 easy

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2006, 03:09:32 PM »
[quote name=\'Brandon Brooks\' post=\'128012\' date=\'Aug 19 2006, 02:50 AM\']
Oh, definitely.  I can't rattle off Horanesque dates, but if the bonus card was the last to be picked, all six catergories would always be played.
[/quote]
Okay, but let's clarify this, just to be sure. I'm not talking about those situations where the player needs less-than-seven to win and they play it out to completion to see if the player can win the bonus, I'm talking about those (really REALLY rare) situations where the player needed 0 to win and the remaining category was the bonus. Is that what you're telling me you can confirm (even without Horanesque dates; your word is certainly good enough for me) happening?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TimK2003

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2006, 03:54:54 PM »
Re: the Big 7 and the "Big 7" logo they used on Pyramid --  Ever get the feeling that Bob Stewart got the idea for the Big 7 logo while he was purchasing a Slurpee at the certain local carry-out??),