Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GSF 50 Greatest List - RESULTS THREAD  (Read 115537 times)

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
GSF 50 Greatest List - RESULTS THREAD
« Reply #330 on: September 10, 2006, 11:47:25 PM »
If I have read correctly, then that means there were 0 shows that appeared on all 80 ballots!

I'd certainly like to know why out of curiousty.
This signature is currently under construction.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #331 on: September 10, 2006, 11:48:26 PM »
[quote name=\'Chuck Sutton\' post=\'130979\' date=\'Sep 10 2006, 10:41 PM\']
Don't blame me because you did not ask the right question.
[/quote]
Are you related to an Adam Kliest, by chance?  With all of this crap, I'm surprised Pass the Buck wasn't your #1 show.

I'd certainly like to know why out of curiousty.
Um, because someone didn't vote for them?  Simple as that...there's a couple people around that simply don't like TPiR, J!, etc. for whatever reason.

Not that I was one of them.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2006, 11:52:07 PM by Modor »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

tyshaun1

« Reply #332 on: September 10, 2006, 11:52:10 PM »
Thanks, Matt, for the list. I actually find it interesting that most of the shows we picked were quite similar to GSN's list, save for a few throwaways, whom shall go unmentioned since I'm tried of reading the played out phrase every other post.
I'm one of the folks who voted Family Feud #1, simply for the fact that IMO, Feud has had 5 different hosts and 4 of them have lasted at least 3 years, which is a true testament to how perfect the game/show is put together.

Tyshaun

P.S. I had TPIR at #7 and Jeopardy! #5 (Sorry Brandon!)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2006, 11:54:13 PM by tyshaun1 »

chad1m

« Reply #333 on: September 11, 2006, 12:00:19 AM »
I don't know how necessary it is or how many people need it, but here's the complete list, 101-1 of our picks. This might save some people some time and aggravation of looking through twenty-some pages of stuff. If you want it gone, just say so and I'll remove it.

100. The Magnificent Marble Machine
100. Finders Keepers
99. Pitfall
98. Make Me Laugh
96. Street Smarts
96. Play the Percentages
95. PDQ/Baffle
94. Name's the Same
93. Queen For A Day
92. Money Maze
90. Trivia Trap
90. The Mole
89. Legends of the Hidden Temple
87. Monopoly
87. Caesar's Challenge
86. Dream House
84. Winning Lines
84. History IQ
83. Talk About
82. Child's Play
81. Hot Streak
80. Hollywood Showdown
79. Pass the Buck
78. Pantomime Quiz/Stump the Stars
77. Battlestars
76. Fun House
75. Face the Music
74. The Amazing Race
73. Debt
71. Two Minute Drill
71. American Gladiators
70. Starcade
69. Video Village
68. Double Dare
67. Hit Man
66. Wipeout
65. Survivor
64. Eye Guess
63. Cross-Wits
62. Liar's Club
61. Three on a Match
60. Hot Potato
59. Greed
58. Body Language
57. Celebrity Sweepstakes
56. Bullseye
55. Big Showdown
54. Russian Roulette
53. Where in the World/Time is Carmen Sandiego?
52. Win, Lose or Draw
51. You Don't Say
50. Gambit/Las Vegas Gambit
49. The Weakest Link
47. The Dating Game
47. Remote Control
46. College Bowl
45. Treasure Hunt
44. Deal or No Deal
43. Now You See It
42. Break the Bank
41. Twenty One
40. Go
39. The Gong Show/Extreme Gong
38. Whew!
37. The Who What or Where Game/ The Challengers
36. You Bet Your Life
35. Lingo
34. Truth or Consequences
33. The $64,000/$128,000 Question
32. Chain Reaction
31. He Said, She Said/Tattletales
30. Jackpot
29. Win Ben Stein's Money
28. Supermarket Sweep
27. Split Second
26. The Newlywed Game
25. Double Dare (Nickelodeon)
24. Beat the Clock
23. High Rollers
22. Blockbusters
21. I've got a Secret
20. Scrabble
19. Name That Tune
18. Tic Tac Dough
17. Let's Make a Deal
16. Sale of the Century
15. The Joker's Wild
14. What's My Line?
13. Card Sharks
12. Press Your Luck/Whammy!
11. Who Wants to Be a Millionaire
10. To Tell the Truth
9. (Classic) Concentration
8. Hollywood Squares
7. Wheel of Fortune
6. Family Feud
5. Match Game
4. Password
3. Pyramid
2. Jeopardy!
1. The Price is Right

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #334 on: September 11, 2006, 12:26:00 AM »
[quote name=\'Chuck Sutton\' post=\'130979\' date=\'Sep 10 2006, 08:41 PM\']
The first piece of advice I give my clients, on the stand, answer the question you are asked and ONLY the question you are asked.  I did that both times.
[/quote]
Oh PLEASE tell me you're not claiming you're a lawyer.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

tomobrien

« Reply #335 on: September 11, 2006, 12:33:14 AM »
[quote name=\'Chuck Sutton\' post=\'130979\' date=\'Sep 10 2006, 10:41 PM\']
Then let me explain in terms even a "ninny" can understand

<snip> And visa versa.

[/quote]
I prefer MasterCard versa myself.

J.R.

« Reply #336 on: September 11, 2006, 01:24:14 AM »
Here was the list I submitted to Matt. It has only 30 shows, but I think I now realize that I could of easily thought up 50 after reading the official list:

30: The Gong Show
29: Supermarket Sweep
28: The Weakest Link
27: Greed
26: Name That Tune
25: Blockbusters
24: What's My Line?
23: Let's Make a Deal
22: Russian Roulette
21: Password
20: Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?
19: The Jokers Wild
18: Scrabble
17: Deal or No Deal?
16: Tic Tac Dough
15: Card Sharks
14: Lingo
13: To Tell The Truth
12: Double Dare (Nick)
11: Press Your Luck
10: Concentration
  9: Match Game
  8: Hollywood Squares
  7: $ale of the Century
  6: Who Wants to be a Millionaire?
  5: Wheel of Fortune
  4: Family Feud
  3: The $______ Pyramid
  2: The Price is Right
  1: Jeopardy!

-Joe R.
-Joe Raygor

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #337 on: September 11, 2006, 09:42:47 AM »
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'130980\' date=\'Sep 10 2006, 11:47 PM\']
If I have read correctly, then that means there were 0 shows that appeared on all 80 ballots!
I'd certainly like to know why out of curiousty.[/quote]
We talked about this a few pages back, but as quickly as this thread has moved, it's understandable that you might have missed it.

There are essentially two ways a major, major show gets left off a ballot: accidentally and deliberately.  My guess is that MOST of the major omissions were accidental, but that there might have been a person or two who just hated a show so much that they refused to include it.

Only thirteen ballots "missed" at least one of the top ten, and all but three of those had nine out of ten.  So yes, three ballots had multiple omissions of top-ten shows, and that doesn't even count the one person who had four of the top-ten shows in the 40-50 range.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #338 on: September 11, 2006, 10:10:52 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'130987\' date=\'Sep 10 2006, 11:26 PM\']
[quote name=\'Chuck Sutton\' post=\'130979\' date=\'Sep 10 2006, 08:41 PM\']
The first piece of advice I give my clients, on the stand, answer the question you are asked and ONLY the question you are asked.  I did that both times.
[/quote]
Oh PLEASE tell me you're not claiming you're a lawyer.
[/quote]
Nice catch, Chris.

He'll probably claim the fifth on this one.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

DrBear

« Reply #339 on: September 11, 2006, 10:14:18 AM »
Here's my list  (Number in parentheses is group ranking)

1 To Tell The Truth. For longevity, play-along factor, Garry Moore's hosting, Mark Goodson saying it's the "golden" game show idea, and because it's my favorite, nyaah.(10)
2 Password Invented the celeb-civilian pairing, inspired dozens of other shows, good runs on all three original networks. (4)
3 The Price is Right. Version 1 was ahead of its time and a huge hit. Version 2...well, on it flows. (1)
4 What's My Line. The wittiest game show ever. And the most sophisticated.(14)
5 Concentration Wonderful play-along, simple to understand but mind-involving, just plain fun to watch.(9)
6 WWTBA Millionaire. Proved big-money Q&A shows can be honest and work. If you don't run them into the ground. (11)
7 Family Feud. The 1960s Match Game with the perfect additions: the family angle, Richard Dawson and a solid bonus game. (6)
8 Match Game. The first version was Family Feud in utero. The second was a party.(5)
9 Jeopardy. The last outpost of hard questions - yes, even now - and influential (how many other three-on-a-question games have we seen since then?) (2)
10 Name That Tune. An odd choice, but I'll stand by it - the best of several musical game shows. (19)
11 I've Got A Secret. Just a lot of fun. And yes, I have three panel shows in my top 11. Deal with it. (21)
12 Hollywood Squares. Easily the funniest show on the list, either intentionally or unintentionally.(8)
13 College Bowl. . Not only for inspiring every high school quiz in America, but for Allen Ludden's big break. (46)
14 (insert$here) Pyramid. Bob Stewart mixes tension and big money with Password and creates a classic. (3)
15 Let's Make a Deal. Strictly for Monty Hall. (17)
16 15 to 1. One shw on this list I've never seen, but one I'd love to - a hard British quiz.(NOT RANKED)
17 Wheel of Fortune. Like "Cats," Now and Forever. (7)
18 Split Second. Really fast-paced buzzer game. Great job by Tom Kennedy (27)
19 Who, What or Where Game. On at the same time as Split Second. Slower pace, harder questions. (37)
20 You Don't Say!. For the original version. (51)
21 Press Your Luck. The "crack" of game shows, but it stays with people. (12)
22 Information Please. A radio classic. (NOT RANKED)
23 $64,000 Question. Started the 50s big-money craze. (33)
24 The Newlywed Game. Yeah, a lot of us are sick of it, but very big in its time.(26)
25 You Bet Your Life. No, it's not for the Bill Cosby or buddy Hackett versions. (36)
26 Scrabble. Solid adaptation of a board game. (20)
27 Double Dare (Nick) Best children's game show ever.(25)
28 Video Village. One of Heatter-Quigley's first big hits. I still remember the big dice cage. (69)
29 Tic Tac Dough. Another long runner. (18)
30 Eye Guess. A perfect show for Bill Cullen. Just a joy with humor.(64)
31 Win Ben Stein's Money. Self-consciously funny, but likeable for the Mighty Mr. Stein. (29)
32 PDQ/Baffle. A pretty good word game.(95)
33 The Gong Show. Well it was a game, and no show had more STUFF! (clap) (39)
34 World Series of Pop Culture. The token new kid - but very addicting.(NOT RANKED)
35 Truth or Consequences. Bob Barker's fiefdom before TPIR, and Ralph Edwards' before that. (34)
36 Remote Control. The one good game in MTV's history. (47T)
37 Tattletales. The one all-celeb game show that worked. (31)
38 Lingo. An addictive game, probably GSN's best original. (35)
39 Weakest Link. I'm not a fan of vote-em-off shows, but two good hosts and a catchphrase made it memorable.(49)
40 Inquizition. The gimmick got old quickly, but at its heart was a good fast-paced quiz. (NOT RANKED)
41 The Magnificent Marble Machine. Just for actually executing an idea that nobody thought would work. It didn't. But they tried.(100)
42 The Joker's Wild. Never a favorite of mine - it seemed too easy to fix, and having Jack Barry at the helm didn't increase my confidence any.  (15)
43 Hollywood Showdown. Another good GSN original. (80)
44 Twenty One. One wonders if NBC had taken the revival seriously how well it could have done. (41)
45 High Rollers. Best of the dice games. (23)
46 Seven Keys. One of the first shows I remember watching.(NOT RANKED)
47 Dream House. Here for one reaso - on the original show, they gave away a house called "The Barrington." (86)
48 Sports Challenge. Its use of legends puts this a bit ahead of "Two Minute Drill," whose good points (Kenny Mayne hosting) were overshadowed by illiterate jocks trying to read rapid-fire questions. (NOT RANKED)
49 I'll Bet. Just one that's stuck with me from childhood. I could have included Showdown, Window Shopping, Everybody's Talking, or a dozen others in this spot.(NOT RANKED)
50 Stump the Stars. This sort of fell here when I ran long. But charades shows have a long tradition, so why not one here.(78)
(NOTE: When I recounted, I realized I had actually listed 52, so hoorable mention to Whew!, (38) in honor of Randy Amasia, and Beat The Clock, (24) which is easily the longest-running game I never liked.)

NOT ON MY LIST:

50. Gambit. Just never enjoyed it.
47T The Dating Game The foundation of Chuck Barris' empire, but Newlywed was the bigger hit.
45. Treasure Hunt. Just personal dislike
44. Deal or No deal.It's eye catching, but there isn't a game there.
43. Now You See It. Word search puzzles on TV? It doesn't work. Great theme, though.
42. Break the Bank. Too much of a Squares ripoff.
40. Go. Never got into it.
32. Chain Reaction. Ditto.
30. Jackpot! Like the idea of 15 contestants for a week but not silly riddles.
28. Supermarket Sweep. Never saw the updated version (sorry, Randy!) but I didn't like the original because I never heard of any of the grocery chains at the time.
22. Blockbusters. Good game, but I leaned toward Eye Guess.
15. Sale of the Century. I never saw the second incarnation of the show - all I remember is the Jack Kelly version, and it wasn't a favorite.
13. Card Sharks. I thought it was OK but maybe top 75, not top 50. Especially with two sub-par revivals of an original I thought was just OK. OK? OK.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

Mike Tennant

« Reply #340 on: September 11, 2006, 10:19:20 AM »
So did anyone else have It Pays to Be Ignorant on his list?  I put it at number 49 on the strength of the radio version, which I find uproariously funny.  According to the EoTVGS, there was a TV version featuring the radio cast which I can only assume was basically the same show and just as funny.  I never saw the '70s Joe Flynn version either.  (Hey, Jamie, if you can find a copy of either version, how 'bout a Page O' Clips posting?)

Neumms

« Reply #341 on: September 11, 2006, 11:08:09 AM »
I take it no one else had it on their list, but does anyone else remember "Wonderama?" It was a kids' show highlighted by its game elements (sort of like "Ag USA," apparently) which included Snake Cans and Guess Your Best. It was TPIR before TPIR.

And on the topic of "It Pays to Be Ignorant," did Hatos-Hall mount the Joe Flynn version? There was a poster for it in their office, as seen in the LMAD documentary. I'd love to see it again, because Joe Flynn is a riot.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #342 on: September 11, 2006, 11:26:10 AM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'131037\' date=\'Sep 11 2006, 10:08 AM\']
And on the topic of "It Pays to Be Ignorant," did Hatos-Hall mount the Joe Flynn version? There was a poster for it in their office, as seen in the LMAD documentary. I'd love to see it again, because Joe Flynn is a riot.
[/quote]
I do believe they did.

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #343 on: September 11, 2006, 11:48:19 AM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'131037\' date=\'Sep 11 2006, 08:08 AM\']
I take it no one else had it on their list, but does anyone else remember "Wonderama?" It was a kids' show highlighted by its game elements (sort of like "Ag USA," apparently) which included Snake Cans and Guess Your Best. It was TPIR before TPIR.
[/quote]
"Wonderama" was largely an East Coast localish thing, I think. The rest of us (of age to) remember when it kinda-sorta morphed into "Kids Are People Too" on Sunday mornings on ABC. The thing that always stuck in my head about that show (when Bob McAllister was still the host) was that he kept a rubber ball (like, one of those pink ones used for stoopball...I think y'all back East call it a "Spaldeen"?) in a holster on his belt and would play catch with the audience during the closing credits.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #344 on: September 11, 2006, 11:52:18 AM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'131032\' date=\'Sep 11 2006, 10:10 AM\'][quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'130987\' date=\'Sep 10 2006, 11:26 PM\']Oh PLEASE tell me you're not claiming you're a lawyer.
[/quote]Nice catch, Chris.
He'll probably claim the fifth on this one.[/quote]
Both of you stop now.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.