Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Onion's AV Club  (Read 3024 times)

alfonzos

The Onion's AV Club
« on: September 01, 2006, 05:19:34 PM »
The Onion AV club

The writer's youth is betrayed when the only reference to $otC is the Jim Perry version and Ludden's first name is misspelled.

About $otC, I agree with the point that I always found  the Q&A quiz a rather unimagiantive way to get money into the players' coiffures between Instant Bargains. OTOH, Second Chance over PYL? Puh-leese!
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

Jay Temple

The Onion's AV Club
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2006, 05:44:37 PM »
I liked his comment at the end of the section on Hot Potato:
One stipulation for the revival: the producers must reanimate the surely still-charming corpse of Bill Cullen, and make him the host.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
The Onion's AV Club
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2006, 05:56:55 PM »
[quote name=\'alfonzos\' post=\'130102\' date=\'Sep 1 2006, 02:19 PM\']
The writer's youth is betrayed when the only reference to $otC is the Jim Perry version and Ludden's first name is misspelled.
[/quote]
Can't say I'm surprised. I like a lot of The Onion, but their contribution to The Aristocrats was probably the low point of the movie, where a bunch of twentysomethings sit around a meeting table and brainstorm pretentiously about the "key components" to the joke.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

jalman

The Onion's AV Club
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2006, 06:09:13 PM »
From what I've read, the writer's batting average is higher than many writers' articles about the genre.  He seems to be a genuine fan of game shows.

[quote name=\'alfonzos\' post=\'130102\' date=\'Sep 1 2006, 05:19 PM\']
[/quote]
The dates are there for the original version.  Exactly how much footage of the original Sale is readily available to the average researcher?  Many revivals of the shows that had at least one weren't highly noted.

Oh, there's a misspelled name present...ho-hum. The quality of the article was good, so I'll give that a pass.

About $otC, I agree with the point that I always found  the Q&A quiz a rather unimagiantive way to get money into the players' coiffures between Instant Bargains.
When Family Feud is the #2 quiz show in America, I'll gladly welcome Sale's format should it return here.

OTOH, Second Chance over PYL? Puh-leese!
He's probably going "tsk, tsk" at the Whammy Cult.  Note the tongue-in-cheekiness.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2006, 06:10:12 PM by jalman »

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
The Onion's AV Club
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2006, 06:19:17 PM »
Interesting list, I will say. Nice to see Whew!, $ale, and Scrabble on it. Not nice to see the lousy video quality, but hey, tape doesn't age well.

(That was Marc Summers hosting Chuck vs. Jamie Farr, right?)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2006, 06:20:34 PM by PYLdude »
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
The Onion's AV Club
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2006, 06:23:45 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'130107\' date=\'Sep 1 2006, 03:19 PM\']
[/quote]
If by that you mean Scrabble, yes, it was.

/DNRTFA
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
The Onion's AV Club
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2006, 06:41:21 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'130108\' date=\'Sep 1 2006, 06:23 PM\']
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'130107\' date=\'Sep 1 2006, 03:19 PM\']
[/quote]
If by that you mean Scrabble, yes, it was.

[/quote]

I thought so. Damn crappy videos.

/DNRTFA

I might regret asking, but what exactly does that stand for?
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

cmjb13

The Onion's AV Club
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2006, 06:57:21 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'130109\' date=\'Sep 1 2006, 06:41 PM\']
I might regret asking, but what exactly does that stand for?
[/quote]
Did not read the (you know) article
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Jackpotman800

The Onion's AV Club
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2006, 08:25:35 PM »
If there's one thing I wish to say about reviving Second Chance, NO WAY!

cweaver

The Onion's AV Club
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2006, 11:24:52 PM »
[quote name=\'jalman\' post=\'130106\' date=\'Sep 1 2006, 05:09 PM\']
From what I've read, the writer's batting average is higher than many writers' articles about the genre.  He seems to be a genuine fan of game shows.
[/quote]

The remark about the Password theme/ticket music was enough to convince me, this fellow is either one of us or wants to be.

jrjgames

The Onion's AV Club
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2006, 12:58:27 AM »
Joker made #5! With any luck, they will have to remove it from that list soon! :D

Johnny

Brandon Brooks

The Onion's AV Club
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2006, 01:53:38 AM »
This is a great article by someone who cares.

[quote name=\'jrjgames\' post=\'130132\' date=\'Sep 1 2006, 11:58 PM\']
Joker made #5! With any luck, they will have to remove it from that list soon! :D
[/quote]
I sure hope so.

Esoteric Eric

The Onion's AV Club
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2006, 12:38:47 PM »
[quote name=\'alfonzos\' post=\'130102\' date=\'Sep 1 2006, 02:19 PM\']About $otC, I agree with the point that I always found  the Q&A quiz a rather unimagiantive way to get money into the players' coiffures between Instant Bargains.[/quote]"Coffers", not "coiffures".  (As my smiley should tell you, I personally can't put any money in my coiffure.) ((8=D))

[quote name=\'alfonzos\' post=\'130102\' date=\'Sep 1 2006, 02:19 PM\']OTOH, Second Chance over PYL? Puh-leese![/quote]Well. if Michael Larsen could've played the SC board, he might have spun for a week of episodes.  I preferred the question format of SC, though, especially the way it led to Jim Peck's clue of how many first-shot answers were right or wrong. ("At least two of you are right."  "All three of you are wrong.")

Esoteric Eric, who has an idea for $ale of the 21st Century, but is uncertain about sharing it on the 'Net
Eric Smallman; "...I don't think God ever forgave me for Phyllis Newman..." - "Jimmy Carter" (Dan Aykroyd), SNL, 1976

Jay Temple

The Onion's AV Club
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2006, 12:35:35 PM »
[quote name=\'Esoteric Eric\' post=\'130166\' date=\'Sep 2 2006, 11:38 AM\']
I preferred the question format of SC, though, especially the way it led to Jim Peck's clue of how many first-shot answers were right or wrong. ("At least two of you are right."  "All three of you are wrong.")

Esoteric Eric
[/quote]
Amen to that.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.