Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Interesting prize on TPIR  (Read 4287 times)

Terry K

Interesting prize on TPIR
« on: September 16, 2006, 03:17:47 AM »
Notiing in Friday's TPIR rerun one of the prizes offered was a HONDA Motorbike.  I find it odd that they'd offer that and not a Honda Car.  

Am I not the only one who thinks TPIR is going to have to start offering some of the foreign cars?

Also, Chrysler is now German..so why are we seeing Jeeps?  =)

Craig Karlberg

« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2006, 03:52:37 AM »
I doubt if TPIR will go back to import cars anytime soon.  In fact, it's been at least 15 years since they last offered one.  Even if Ford's streamlining its vehicles over the next few years, I probably wouldn't worry about a shortage in domesticated cars on the show anytime soon.

As for a frequent offering of Jeeps, it's probably the fact that it's an American car even though Chrystler is now a part of a German comglomerate.

TonicBH

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2006, 07:06:01 AM »
Look, they only go for American cars because they're patriotic and stuff. Or at least, that's what the eggheads at G-R.net said...
You Found a Secret Area: The place where I write about dumb game show and video game stuff occasionally.

Casey

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2006, 10:26:28 AM »
[quote name=\'TonicBH\' post=\'131766\' date=\'Sep 16 2006, 06:06 AM\']
Look, they only go for American cars because they're patriotic and stuff. Or at least, that's what the eggheads at G-R.net said...
[/quote]
Is this really necessary?  Anyway, they've offered Honda and Kawasaki motorcycles over there years, even after they stopped offering foreign cars.  I submit you'd be hard pressed to name more than 1 or 2 domestic motorcycle manufacturers.  Harley Davidson, naturally.  But who else?

And since you are so in tune with what is said at Golden-Road.Net, you know *why* they offer only American branded cars.  Considering where the folks who run the site get their information (namely Roger and Bob themselves), I think they are probably right.

bandit_bobby

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2006, 11:31:47 AM »
Possibly after Barker is gone...

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2006, 11:36:06 AM »
[quote name=\'bandit_bobby\' post=\'131772\' date=\'Sep 16 2006, 10:31 AM\']
Possibly after Barker is gone...
[/quote]
It has been stated that even after Barker is gone, that foreign cars will not be given away.

Try again.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

cweaver

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2006, 04:52:04 PM »
[quote name=\'TonicBH\' post=\'131766\' date=\'Sep 16 2006, 06:06 AM\']
[/quote]

That's an interesting piece of logic.  I could see that logic as recently as 15 years ago.  I used to be a big "buy American" guy myself, even bought four consecutive cars based on that logic (two Chevys, a Pontiac and a Ford).  But there are so many "American" (GM especially) cars built overseas now, and so many "foreign" cars built in the US I have to wonder what the big deal is.  My current car is a Toyota RAV4 and here in Alabama we have a Honda plant almost within eyesight of the Talladega Superspeedway and a Mercedes plant in the same county as Bear Bryant's legendary Crimson Tide.  Not soapboxing here, just a thought...after all it's not my show.  Maybe there's an issue with the unions representing CBS workers and talent?

Brakus

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2006, 05:53:52 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'131773\' date=\'Sep 16 2006, 11:36 AM\']
It has been stated that even after Barker is gone, that foreign cars will not be given away.
[/quote]

Stated where? This is the first *I've* heard of it...
"Whatever you do, enjoy it to the fullest. THAT is the secret of life." -- Iskandar, King of Conquerors (Fate/Zero, Fate/GO)

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2006, 05:56:11 PM »
Golden-road.net.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

cweaver

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2006, 06:40:09 PM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' post=\'131793\' date=\'Sep 16 2006, 04:56 PM\']
Golden-road.net.
[/quote]

I dug around the site and couldn't find it, can you post a more specific link?

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2006, 06:42:45 PM »
Sure.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

dzinkin

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2006, 06:44:12 PM »
[quote name=\'TonicBH\' post=\'131766\' date=\'Sep 16 2006, 07:06 AM\']
[/quote]
And since the "eggheads" (I guess it's better than the alternative in the Soria scenario) happen to be getting their information from the people who, you know, actually produce the show, you can't possibly believe anything they say, right?

Wow.

(Hi Marc and John! ;-)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2006, 06:44:33 PM by dzinkin »

TonicBH

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2006, 11:45:40 PM »
I apologize. I mean, I have nothing against the powers over there...

But yeah, they only give away American cars. Probably will never change unless American cars cease to exist.

/And what with our outsourcing issue
//So much for not talking politics
You Found a Secret Area: The place where I write about dumb game show and video game stuff occasionally.

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2006, 01:04:05 AM »
Of course, none of this answers my question, which is whatever happend to Saturn?
This signature is currently under construction.

BrandonFG

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2006, 09:42:35 AM »
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'131817\' date=\'Sep 17 2006, 01:04 AM\']
Of course, none of this answers my question, which is whatever happend to Saturn?
[/quote]
Aren't they still owned by GM? I don't remember ever seeing one offered on TPiR...not to say it hasn't been offered, I just don't remember.

Are they still given to Survivor contestants?
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!