Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Does DOND Still Thrill You?  (Read 21843 times)

Matt Ottinger

Does DOND Still Thrill You?
« Reply #45 on: September 22, 2006, 02:49:48 PM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' post=\'132386\' date=\'Sep 22 2006, 02:17 PM\']
Grey's Anatomy (ABC): 15.7/23
CSI: Original Recipe (CBS): 13.5/20
Deal or No Deal (NBC): 6.5/10
[/quote]
It looks like no one yet is using this to proclaim that the end of DoND is a lot closer at hand than we thought, and that's good.  A show like DoND is a "default" show, something to watch when there's "nothing else on".  The game will probably continue to do fine on Mondays where the competition is not nearly as fierce, and as for Thursday, NBC can either move it to a different night, drop it, or just leave it where it is as inexpensive counterprogramming.  But it was never going to make a dent against the two dramatic powerhouses, and bless NBC for not dropping Studio 60 there as originally planned.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #46 on: September 22, 2006, 03:18:48 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'132391\' date=\'Sep 22 2006, 02:34 PM\']Oh yeah, the other 52 reasons to watch.  Slipped my mind.  Briefly.[/quote]
Ha ha, slip.

6.5 is still better than what most of NBC was last year, wasn't it?  It's a nice figure, though.  Not set-the-world-on-fire large, but not GSN's-kicking-our-hindquarters small.  I think the panic button comes at the low 5's, but that's just me.
This signature is currently under construction.

Neumms

« Reply #47 on: September 22, 2006, 04:31:07 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'132392\' date=\'Sep 22 2006, 01:49 PM\']
A show like DoND is a "default" show, something to watch when there's "nothing else on".  
[/quote]

That was the genius behind "Dateline NBC" and "Whose Line Is It Anyway," too. I like to think a prime time "Match Game" revival could work the same way.

I watch the show very rarely but am tired of Howie's suspenseful tosses to commercial. Good lord, before every stinking break? And this thing's going to be on EVERYDAY?

And would anyone who knows budgets predict if they can actually afford 26 models in syndication?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #48 on: September 22, 2006, 04:45:41 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'132399\' date=\'Sep 22 2006, 01:31 PM\']
I watch the show very rarely but am tired of Howie's suspenseful tosses to commercial. Good lord, before every stinking break? And this thing's going to be on EVERYDAY?
[/quote]
To his credit, he's gotten MUCH better at them. In the beginning, he was telegraphing the hell out of them, and you could see it coming down Main Street whenever he was about to do one. Now he either makes the camera turn and does it immediately, or plays the telegraphing up intentionally for comedic value. So clearly he's gotten more comfortable in his role, which is only gonna make him a better host.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #49 on: September 22, 2006, 05:47:36 PM »
[quote name=\'jdhernandez\' post=\'132371\' date=\'Sep 22 2006, 03:29 AM\']All I will say is this...

DonD is thrilling.... in the first three minutes of the show when the models bring down those suitcases. ;-D

OH YEAH!![/quote]
I showed my students Monday's Deal, specifically where you could see me quite clearly--when the models brought down the cases.  Your eyes, Mr. JD, were locked on the model bringing down the player's case, watching every globule of saline jiggle with even the slightest motion.

I rest my case.

[quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'132373\' date=\'Sep 22 2006, 07:51 AM\']And from what I understand, when seeing the show in person, that process happens over and over and over again, thereby adding to the 'gasm.[/quote]

Oh yeah!!!!  Er, um, yeah.  I need to shower.

/ Woulda done the same as JD if I turned all the way around.
// My kids noticed I was looking straight at Anya the whole time.  As I told them, I have taste in ladies.
/// No BB&Bs near Culver Studios, darnit.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2006, 05:48:46 PM by MikeK »

mbc793

« Reply #50 on: September 23, 2006, 01:14:25 AM »
It thrills me for a few seconds until I realize that no one has yet one the dang million dollars. and um..right moving on.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #51 on: September 23, 2006, 04:11:42 AM »
/// No BB&Bs near Culver Studios, darnit.

Silly boy:

http://maps.yahoo.com/py/maps2.py?Pyt=Typ&...CI8fgbZqjgYxJQ-

They're everywhere.

They have it set so that you str8 men vaporize when trying to enter a BB&B alone. That's why the only heteros you see in there are grudgingly accompanying their wives or g/fs. Gay guys don't vaporize no matter what; that's why you see so many of them (us) in there.

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #52 on: September 23, 2006, 11:28:37 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'132440\' date=\'Sep 23 2006, 04:11 AM\']Silly boy:

http://maps.yahoo.com/py/maps2.py?Pyt=Typ&...CI8fgbZqjgYxJQ-

They're everywhere.

They have it set so that you str8 men vaporize when trying to enter a BB&B alone. That's why the only heteros you see in there are grudgingly accompanying their wives or g/fs. Gay guys don't vaporize no matter what; that's why you see so many of them (us) in there.
[/quote]
Great call, Chris, as always.  I didn't see any in the general area, not that I was looking for one after the Deal taping.  Honestly.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2006, 11:29:27 AM by MikeK »

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #53 on: September 23, 2006, 11:41:03 AM »
Great call, Chris, as always. I didn't see any in the general area, not that I was looking for one after the Deal taping. Honestly.
You're telling me that you would not have vaporized had you gone into BB&B by yourself? Okee.

Robair

« Reply #54 on: September 23, 2006, 02:15:18 PM »
I blame girl #1. She started this whole mess.

And yes, straight, single men do find themselves in BB and B due to the fact that there are many non-decorating elements in there, particularly small kitchen appliances. It's not all about the towels, kids.
--Robair

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #55 on: September 23, 2006, 02:23:44 PM »
[quote name=\'Robair\' post=\'132472\' date=\'Sep 23 2006, 11:15 AM\']
And yes, straight, single men do find themselves in BB and B due to the fact that there are many non-decorating elements in there, particularly small kitchen appliances. It's not all about the towels, kids.
[/quote]
I can spend hours just roaming through the kitchen gadgets.

/not that there's anything wrong with that
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

The Ol' Guy

« Reply #56 on: September 24, 2006, 05:05:43 PM »
Getting back to the topic at hand (what are you BB&B fans snickering at??), I'm with the group that says dropping to million dollar jackpots will make the show more of a snorefest than now. Just puttering around with some ideas for the show overall. What do you think?

(a) Howie and the contestant are the only ones on stage until the first two rounds are done. Let the contestant feel the pressure of making the first choices by themselves with only the audience as a whole shouting advice.
(b) After the first 11 cases are gone, then bring on the family and/or friends to encourage as the choice of cases grow smaller.
© if there are any gimmicks (church choirs/video links, etc), wait until after the third round to bring them into play.
(d) and the biggie...why don't they do something like the state lotteries do? The game is done - if the million dollar case is not chosen or has been eliminated by a pick, come up with some system connected with the game that adds money to the $1 million to create a carry-over effect of "Gee, how much is it worth next show?" In the old Break The Bank radio show, the amount of money contestants had when they were eliminated from the game went into the jackpot. If the pot was already at $1,000 and a team lost with, say, $600, the contestants got the $600 and the sponsor matched the $600 and put it in the bank - making the next game's bank $1600. What if the banker's last unclaimed offer or the highest amount left on the board is added to the million so it has the potential of growing with each show? "The next contestant has a chance to win $1,345,000 on DoND!"
Just some ideas.

Don Howard

« Reply #57 on: September 24, 2006, 05:46:03 PM »
[quote name=\'The Ol' Guy\' post=\'132545\' date=\'Sep 24 2006, 05:05 PM\']
What if the banker's last unclaimed offer or the highest amount left on the board is added to the million so it has the potential of growing with each show? "The next contestant has a chance to win $1,345,000 on DoND!"
[/quote]
In time, this would give us a theoretically possible billion-dollar cash jackpot. I'm a big fan of progressive jackpots, but I think that would skyrocket it too much and too quickly. Plus, what would that do to the value of the bank offers in some circumstances? I like the idea, Ol' Guy, but that would wreak havoc on the budget.
By the by, the billion-dollar sentence above is in memory of what Pat Sajak would say in reference to the Jackpot space on the wheel in the late 1980s on the daytime edition of Wheel Of Fortune.
True, the above sentence along with this one could have been preceded by a slash, but I'm a slash celibate.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2006, 05:50:48 PM by Don Howard »

Kevin Prather

« Reply #58 on: September 24, 2006, 05:49:57 PM »
The jackpot needs to stay put, plain and simple. Modify it at all, and you run the risk of permanently damaging the game.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #59 on: September 24, 2006, 10:58:16 PM »
They're not going to give away a prize which approaches 0.3% of the entire market capitalization of General Electric Co.

Mounting jackpots work when the money would not otherwise be given away. Based on figures to date, they need to keep their awards around $120,000 per week.