Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Does DOND Still Thrill You?  (Read 21841 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Does DOND Still Thrill You?
« Reply #60 on: September 24, 2006, 11:24:50 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'132568\' date=\'Sep 24 2006, 07:58 PM\']
Mounting jackpots work when the money would not otherwise be given away. Based on figures to date, they need to keep their awards around $120,000 per week.
[/quote]
Per week, or per show? 'Cuz the way they throw money around on this thing, they might be a little closer to the latter.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

itiparanoid13

« Reply #61 on: September 25, 2006, 12:03:44 AM »
My issue with the game now is that it's becoming a bother to view, which is why I rarely watch it anymore.  I just stop watching because I'm afraid what they are going to offer next.  They've already offered hair and a pony.  It's becoming a bother to keep up with the increasing jackpots constantly.  I think the first episode of the season, with the $1M and $2M games done in one hour, was the best because they trimmed out the crap and left the good bits in there.  It's becoming a bother to even comprehend some of the incredibly dumbass offers "The Banker" is giving and the fact that the Banker that is still completely void of any personality is absolutely insane at this point, being that should be THE part they play up the most.  And obviously, the answer is no: it still does not thrill me because NBC will spoil any thrill in the preview during the first minute or so.  I am a big DoND fan (I still feel the Dutch version is the best), but the NBC one is just becoming annoying more than anything to me.  I could stand it last season.  This season, I really don't know what happened, I guess my senses finally started again.

I just want 1 vs 100 to come soon, it should be a nice change of pace.  However, I swear to god, if they put a pony as one of the 100......
« Last Edit: September 25, 2006, 12:07:43 AM by itiparanoid13 »

Kevin Prather

« Reply #62 on: September 25, 2006, 12:19:14 AM »
[quote name=\'itiparanoid13\' post=\'132570\' date=\'Sep 24 2006, 09:03 PM\']
I just want 1 vs 100 to come soon, it should be a nice change of pace.  However, I swear to god, if they put a pony as one of the 100......
[/quote]
For Chrissakes, don't give them ideas.

cweaver

« Reply #63 on: September 25, 2006, 07:08:57 AM »
[quote name=\'itiparanoid13\' post=\'132570\' date=\'Sep 24 2006, 11:03 PM\']
[/quote]

Of course not, don't be preposterous, they'd never do anything like that.

The pony will be the "1."

The Ol' Guy

« Reply #64 on: September 25, 2006, 09:49:29 AM »
Some of you have been touching on my main point, which was they've been messing with the values anyway, as one million doesn't seem to be the top limit these days. And it's not like I hadn't thought of the potential for multi-million dollar payouts...I was fishing for some suggestions for a more logical, workable idea for a possible escalating big payoff. Personally, if a decent way to do it could be established, I could live with a 5 mil top limit, but something that could see the high end creep up a bit from game to game I don't think would hurt. After all, around the offfice, you hear employees ask, "Hey, what's the Michigan lottery pot up to now?" A little more excitement than top values going arbitrarily from 1 to 3 to 5 then back to only a flat 1 mil for several months seems anti-climactic. They started the problem by creating ratings-gimmick amounts in the first place. What makes one person worthy of a $3 mil payoff and another only $1 mil? They screwed with it, and it's going to hurt them.

Don Howard

« Reply #65 on: September 25, 2006, 10:54:11 AM »
[quote name=\'The Ol' Guy\' post=\'132580\' date=\'Sep 25 2006, 09:49 AM\']
They started the problem by creating ratings-gimmick amounts in the first place. What makes one person worthy of a $3 mil payoff and another only $1 mil? They screwed with it, and it's going to hurt them.
[/quote]
Indeed it is. In 2001, WWTBAM should not have added a $10000 bonus for each show in which the top dollar wasn't won as one-time payoff. Going back to "only a million" every time took more than a bit of the razzle-dazzle away. Same with DOND and their occasional boosts to the booty.

clemon79

« Reply #66 on: September 25, 2006, 11:56:23 AM »
You can't do this. Part of the problem with the show is that the Big One is at a million. Why? Human nature.

Having a million-dollar top prize is what is driving up the bank offers, and when you get into those disgusting amounts of money, most humans are gonna walk. On the other hand, with the Aussie show, given, say, $.10 and the Big One (which Down Under is $200K, in case you've been living under a rock) is gonna generate a bank offer right around $100K. Which isn't chicken feed, for sure, but isn't oh-my-god-are-you-insane high enough that nobody would turn it down. Given the same situation on our show, I don't care what the contestant said on their application form, they're not playing on when offered a sure thing of $500K.

mmb5

« Reply #67 on: September 25, 2006, 11:59:32 AM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'132582\' date=\'Sep 25 2006, 10:54 AM\']
Indeed it is. In 2001, WWTBAM should not have added a $10000 bonus for each show in which the top dollar wasn't won as one-time payoff. Going back to "only a million" every time took more than a bit of the razzle-dazzle away. Same with DOND and their occasional boosts to the booty.
[/quote]
I must disagree.  No increase in the WWTBAM money, no house for me.

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

itiparanoid13

« Reply #68 on: September 25, 2006, 12:05:25 PM »
On the other hand, with the Aussie show, given, say, $.10 and the Big One (which Down Under is $200K, in case you've been living under a rock) is gonna generate a bank offer right around $100K. Which isn't chicken feed, for sure, but isn't oh-my-god-are-you-insane high enough that nobody would turn it down.

You really hit my point why I feel a syndicated series of DOND will do much better than a network version.  I've done some drugs in my time, but I will and would never be baked enough, and hopefully no one would as well, to risk $500K on a gamble between $100 and $1,000,000.  However, you will some people risk a sum such as $100,000 for $100 or $200,000; which makes for a much more exciting show.  That and we can trim the crap out.  Hopefully by the time the syndie show comes out, we can decide to either give The Banker a personality or just get rid of him.  Sadly, I doubt either will happen.

TimK2003

« Reply #69 on: September 25, 2006, 01:28:49 PM »
Here's what I would like to see in a  Syndie DonD:

•  Make the top prize $250,000
•  Make the contestant open one more case per round than the current game (to speed up the games).
•  Have their rooting families/friends in the background shot the way they do in Millionaire with *limited*
    banter.
•  Have a 4-shot screen when revealing the case -- Contestant, Close-up on the case, The model opening      
    the case, and their friends/family members -- to show the instantaneous reactions.  
    (The one thing I cannot stand on the current show is showing the obvious edited delayed reactions of the
    contestants, family, host,... after the case is opened).  
•  I would also like to see George Gray tapped as host of the syndie version.  He did a good job in "Link"
    (and in many cases better than Anne Robinson), and I think he could throw in some well-timed humor in
    "Deal" as well.

BrandonFG

« Reply #70 on: September 25, 2006, 01:40:18 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'132587\' date=\'Sep 25 2006, 01:28 PM\']
•  Have their rooting families/friends in the background shot the way they do in Millionaire with *limited*
    banter.[/quote]
With this show prolly being 30 mins., I'd have as little banter as possible, so we can see more game play. Do a quick intro of the family, and shut them the hell up. And I'm not just saying that because the rooting section irritates me on the NBC version. ;-)
•  I would also like to see George Gray tapped as host of the syndie version.  He did a good job in "Link"
    (and in many cases better than Anne Robinson), and I think he could throw in some well-timed humor in
    "Deal" as well.
Plus, he also had a soul patch! ;-)
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Don Howard

« Reply #71 on: September 25, 2006, 01:53:38 PM »
[quote name=\'mmb5\' post=\'132584\' date=\'Sep 25 2006, 11:59 AM\']
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'132582\' date=\'Sep 25 2006, 10:54 AM\']
[/quote]
I must disagree.  No increase in the WWTBAM money, no house for me.
[/quote]
Oh, I liked the increase. I didn't like how after the $2.18M was won that the bonus didn't start over again.
Glad you got your house, though.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2006, 01:54:18 PM by Don Howard »

clemon79

« Reply #72 on: September 25, 2006, 02:08:05 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'132587\' date=\'Sep 25 2006, 10:28 AM\']

---
    "Deal" as well.
[/quote]
Excellent ideas both.

WhammyPower

« Reply #73 on: September 25, 2006, 02:19:35 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'132587\' date=\'Sep 25 2006, 12:28 PM\'] Here's what I would like to see in a  Syndie DonD:

[/quote]
Sounds good.
  [quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'132587\' date=\'Sep 25 2006, 12:28 PM\']
•  Make the contestant open one more case per round than the current game (to speed up the games).
[/quote]
The Australian version uses the 6, 5, 4, etc. ladder fine for a half-hour show, so why can't we use that here?
•  Have their rooting families/friends in the background shot the way they do in Millionaire with *limited* banter.
[/quote]
No, I think the way they do it on Howie's version is fine.  Just needs to be shortened a bit.
•  Have a 4-shot screen when revealing the case -- Contestant, Close-up on the case, The model opening the case, and their friends/family members -- to show the instantaneous reactions.   (The one thing I cannot stand on the current show is showing the obvious edited delayed reactions of the contestants, family, host,... after the case is opened).
[/quote]
One, I would rather have it where audience members opened the cases and earned money for guessing the contents correctly.  And two, if I were to do that, I'd rather set it up with the money chain and 3 "stacked" shots in the center: The contestant on top, the case in the middle, and the family on the bottom.
•  I would also like to see George Gray tapped as host of the syndie version.  He did a good job in "Link" (and in many cases better than Anne Robinson), and I think he could throw in some well-timed humor in "Deal" as well.
[/quote]
I don't think I'd like a host that teases the contestants on this type of show.  It was good for TWL, but not good for this.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2006, 02:21:32 PM by WhammyPower »

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #74 on: September 25, 2006, 02:40:58 PM »
I don't think I'd like a host that teases the contestants on this type of show.

I don't think that was his intention at all when he suggested George Gray. He saw his humor fitting the show - not his ability in being smarmy with contestants.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck