Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Bob Barker Retiring  (Read 57706 times)

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Bob Barker Retiring
« Reply #135 on: November 01, 2006, 12:35:07 PM »
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'136452\' date=\'Nov 1 2006, 11:25 AM\']
And they do, too.  You may this already, but as soon as they tape the end of the season, they go right into the premiere week shows (normally)
[/quote]
Yep.  The first time I went they taped the fourth show of season 33, and it was taped just a few days after the final taping of season 32 (obviously aired about three months apart).  This year, they deviated--taping the premiere well after some season 35 shows were already in the can (including one that several members of this forum were in attendance for, including myself).

My recollection was from during the 1980s, when stagehands were shown exchanging money when Barker made or missed the putt. :)

Doug -- and the countdown to 2400 continues
« Last Edit: November 01, 2006, 12:35:35 PM by SRIV94 »
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

dzinkin

Bob Barker Retiring
« Reply #136 on: November 01, 2006, 12:55:37 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'136449\' date=\'Nov 1 2006, 11:59 AM\']
[quote name=\'booboo\' post=\'136444\' date=\'Nov 1 2006, 08:40 AM\']
It's not going to last long at all without him only because it won't be the same, and you all know that.!!!
[/quote]
Christ.
[/quote]
I think He has better things to do than host Price.

(Sorry, couldn't resist.  L'Chaim!)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2006, 12:56:01 PM by dzinkin »

sshuffield70

Bob Barker Retiring
« Reply #137 on: November 01, 2006, 01:06:43 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'136421\' date=\'Nov 1 2006, 07:53 AM\']
Both have done it, but Todd's done it longer.
No dear, we were talking about the two Todds: Natural Todd and Gus-Glitz Todd. The latter does the stage show.
[/quote]

My response included Marc Summers and the "two" Todds.  I stand Pat (Finn, not Bullard).

booboo

Bob Barker Retiring
« Reply #138 on: November 01, 2006, 01:10:23 PM »
L'Chaim? what does that mean?

booboo

Bob Barker Retiring
« Reply #139 on: November 01, 2006, 01:15:44 PM »
I have to admit, Marc Summers probably would be an ok replacement,

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Bob Barker Retiring
« Reply #140 on: November 01, 2006, 01:17:28 PM »
[quote name=\'booboo\' post=\'136454\' date=\'Nov 1 2006, 09:25 AM\']
I only said it might as well be because it won't last long without him, because whether you're a die hard fan or a casual fan  it'll probably still be hard for ANYBODY to adjust, I know it'll be hard for me.
[/quote]
Then speak for yourself, don't speak for anyone else.

I'm looking forward to the change and I hope that it improves the show, because it needs help right now.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

MitchJoseph2004

Bob Barker Retiring
« Reply #141 on: November 01, 2006, 01:33:31 PM »
Just look at the vast popularity of the stage show. This proves to me that the show can go on. Most people go there knowing that Barker won't be hosting, but the still, according to what I've heard from Randy, turn out to sell out the place.
So Fremantle and CBS both know that they can continue the show and have had a good training  ground with the stage show.

Personally, I'm rooting for Marc Summers because since a lot of TPIR's audience (in studio as well) is made up of college students who would remember him from Double Dare, this is an opportunity to continue for another 35 years because I see DD as being Summers' T or C. Thoughts?

booboo

Bob Barker Retiring
« Reply #142 on: November 01, 2006, 01:42:00 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'136465\' date=\'Nov 1 2006, 01:17 PM\']
[quote name=\'booboo\' post=\'136454\' date=\'Nov 1 2006, 09:25 AM\']
I only said it might as well be because it won't last long without him, because whether you're a die hard fan or a casual fan  it'll probably still be hard for ANYBODY to adjust, I know it'll be hard for me.
[/quote]
Then speak for yourself, don't speak for anyone else.

I'm looking forward to the change and I hope that it improves the show, because it needs help right now.
[/quote]

why is it that every time i post, you have to criticize it? And i guess you're right, although, i am not going to deny two things, a. I am really really sad to see him go,

and b. as to whether or not it will improve,  it all depends on who they pick to replace him, although this person will have some really huge shoes to fill.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Bob Barker Retiring
« Reply #143 on: November 01, 2006, 01:46:02 PM »
[quote name=\'booboo\' post=\'136467\' date=\'Nov 1 2006, 01:42 PM\']
why is it that every time i post, you have to criticize it? And i guess you're right, although, i am not going to deny two things, a. I am really really sad to see him go,

and b. as to whether or not it will improve,  it all depends on who they pick to replace him, although this person will have some really huge shoes to fill.
[/quote]

Booboo, the reason why people criticize you when you post is because you don't think before you post. Also, you were warned about your grammar several times. I'm surprised you haven't got the boot yet.

And how can you criticize someone for criticizing you, and then AGREE with the point in the same sentence?
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

TimK2003

Bob Barker Retiring
« Reply #144 on: November 01, 2006, 01:46:06 PM »
When I saw the CBS News interview w/ Bob that was fed to the local CBS affiliates to use, Bob had a great little line:

(Paraphrasing -- Not exact quote).

"After I retire, I'm gonna stay home for two straight weeks to see what it's like to be bored".

Knowing how Bob's schedule was so busy with the show, and other assorted appearances, I would agree that he probably doesn't know what it's like to do absolutely nothing for a couple of weeks.  Same goes for Dick Clark.

I'm glad he's going out on a high note, and being around a while after to enjoy retirement.

booboo

Bob Barker Retiring
« Reply #145 on: November 01, 2006, 01:46:32 PM »
i do think that if Cbs continues with the prime time specials then they should see if they can't get Bob to step in just for them.

booboo

Bob Barker Retiring
« Reply #146 on: November 01, 2006, 01:49:43 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'136468\' date=\'Nov 1 2006, 01:46 PM\']
[quote name=\'booboo\' post=\'136467\' date=\'Nov 1 2006, 01:42 PM\']

[/quote]

Booboo, the reason why people criticize you when you post is because you don't think before you post. Also, you were warned about your grammar several times. I'm surprised you haven't got the boot yet.

And how can you criticize someone for criticizing you, and then AGREE with the point in the same sentence?
[/quote]

I'm not technically criticizing HIM, I'm just asking for an explanation.

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
Bob Barker Retiring
« Reply #147 on: November 01, 2006, 02:07:17 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'136469\' date=\'Nov 1 2006, 01:46 PM\']
Knowing how Bob's schedule was so busy with the show, and other assorted appearances, I would agree that he probably doesn't know what it's like to do absolutely nothing for a couple of weeks.  Same goes for Dick Clark.[/quote]

Dunno.  Price takes a pretty long tape break during the summer.

Maybe he should call up Pat Sajak and see how it's like.

/If I had to work only 39 days out of the year, I'd be happy
This signature is currently under construction.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Bob Barker Retiring
« Reply #148 on: November 01, 2006, 02:10:51 PM »
[quote name=\'booboo\' post=\'136471\' date=\'Nov 1 2006, 10:49 AM\']
I'm not technically criticizing HIM, I'm just asking for an explanation.
[/quote]
I'm gonna make this as polite as I can:

If you can't figure out why I might have an issue with you saying "it's going to be hard for EVERYBODY, not just me, but EVERYBODY", then I simply can't help you.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Bob Barker Retiring
« Reply #149 on: November 01, 2006, 02:50:53 PM »
Chris, Chris, Chris, Chris, Chris --

Let's analyze the logic of that statement:

1. Bob Barker is the best emcee there is. OK, he's the best living emcee there is. We have the statistical data to back that up right here on this board;

2. Anyone else is not the best living emcee there is. Marc Summers came in at #23. Todd Newton came in at #37.

Therefore, it follows that:

A change of emcee won't help the show.

However, I firmly believe it is possible to cast an emcee who will do a perfectly creditable job with the show. You know who my choice is.