Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Bob Barker Retiring  (Read 57696 times)

sshuffield70

Bob Barker Retiring
« Reply #180 on: November 02, 2006, 12:37:16 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' post=\'136595\' date=\'Nov 2 2006, 09:51 AM\']
OK kids, here's a drop of blood for the shark tank:

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/e...5p-393269c.html

No comment from me; simply passing along the link.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
[/quote]

No problem, Randy!  I did look at it and see one glaring line that, to me, gives it away as a fake.

The Price Is Right" executive producer Howard Huntridge was there to put Price, who the source described as "very personable," through his paces.

Any confirmation about this person being a staffer?

Stripey

Bob Barker Retiring
« Reply #181 on: November 02, 2006, 12:40:32 PM »
I agree with Chris -- I think Summers would be a fine choice. I'd prefer Summers out of the names that are being tossed around, actually. He always had fun with the contestants on the various incarnations of Double Dare, which is the closest thing to Price that he's hosted. I haven't seen History I.Q., but he was certainly more dry on WinTuition. I think that was a result of WT being a straight, less contestant-driven quizzer -- i.e., he adjusted his style to the format. Whereas someone like Todd Newton, with the Eubanks-on-steroids persona he's developed, would turn Price into pure kitsch, I think Summers would bring a genuine warmth to the job.

BrandonFG

Bob Barker Retiring
« Reply #182 on: November 02, 2006, 12:48:25 PM »
I'm not throwing this name out at all, but what was honestly so bad about Doug Davidson? Mind you, it's been 12 years since I've seen the show, and I was only 12 at the time, so I didn't know any better. :-P

Was he just stiff as a host, didn't have the hang of the games? I mean, the show only ran for a few months, so it's not like he had too much of a chance to improve...
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Bob Barker Retiring
« Reply #183 on: November 02, 2006, 12:48:26 PM »
[quote name=\'Stripey\' post=\'136635\' date=\'Nov 2 2006, 09:40 AM\']
I haven't seen History I.Q., but he was certainly more dry on WinTuition.
[/quote]
He was awfully dry on History I.Q., too, so I can see where Neumms might have that complaint, but then HIQ _was_ on The History Channel. I haven't seen him do the Price stage show, so I don't know how he is there, but I do think that he's had enough changes to his life over time (the whole OCD thing, for one) that maybe comparing his qualifications today to his previous work might be unfair. But I do respect his opinion.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2006, 12:48:48 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

DYosua

Bob Barker Retiring
« Reply #184 on: November 02, 2006, 12:49:44 PM »
The Price Is Right" executive producer Howard Huntridge was there to put Price, who the source described as "very personable," through his paces.

Any confirmation about this person being a staffer?
It looks like he is the executive producer of the British version.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0403188/
« Last Edit: November 02, 2006, 12:53:10 PM by DYosua »

Neumms

Bob Barker Retiring
« Reply #185 on: November 02, 2006, 12:54:05 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'136638\' date=\'Nov 2 2006, 12:48 PM\']
He was awfully dry on History I.Q., too, so I can see where Neumms might have that complaint, but then HIQ _was_ on The History Channel. I haven't seen him do the Price stage show, so I don't know how he is there, but I do think that he's had enough changes to his life over time (the whole OCD thing, for one) that maybe comparing his qualifications today to his previous work might be unfair. But I do respect his opinion.
[/quote]

I don't even like him on Food Network, so this might just be me. Let's all just hope for Bergeron.

toddyo

Bob Barker Retiring
« Reply #186 on: November 02, 2006, 01:08:07 PM »
Bergeron would be my vote!  Personable, well known, fair to contestants and the home viewer and has quick wit.

I do not like Dave Price.  He's okay on Late Show w/Colin Ferguson but he can't pronounce words and doesn't impress me.

tpirfan28

Bob Barker Retiring
« Reply #187 on: November 02, 2006, 01:28:40 PM »
If Dave Price gets the nod...wow.  Add on the puns would be too easy...

Tom Bergeron seems like a good choice.  He's already mastered working the genre, and seemed really comfortable with the contesants.

Marc Summers, to me, has almost too vibrant of a voice to do the show.  He would need to tame it down a little to do the show.

From the very very limited clips I've seen of Doug Davidson, he fell victim to the show itself.  His show was so drastically different from the normal daytime show that she got sucked down with it.  He should be considered, but he wouldn't be my first choice.

I just wish Tom Kennedy wasn't really old right now.  He could step in and do the show really well, like he did in the 80s.

I want to throw another name into the mix...Pat Sajak.
(runs to avoid all things thrown at me for saying that)
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

clemon79

Bob Barker Retiring
« Reply #188 on: November 02, 2006, 01:38:53 PM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'136649\' date=\'Nov 2 2006, 10:28 AM\']
From the very very limited clips I've seen of Doug Davidson, he fell victim to the show itself.  His show was so drastically different from the normal daytime show that she got sucked down with it.  He should be considered, but he wouldn't be my first choice.
[/quote]
There, fixed that for you.

Actually, with a competent host, TNPiR would have been pretty good. Doug Davidson was not a competent host.

(And Burton. Christ. Friggin' Burton.)

MyCapableAssistant

Bob Barker Retiring
« Reply #189 on: November 02, 2006, 01:45:29 PM »
I was stunned to see this topic last night when I logged on, and have been following it since. Yet I don't think it "hit me" until just now. I took a stroll to Marc's site. When I read the first few posts, a huge feeling of impending doom came over me. I have never seen Barker in person, and that has been one of my lifelong goals. Now I KNOW what I gotta do. I kept reading everyone else's post saying "it's a sad day," and I have to admit, it IS.

tpirfan28

Bob Barker Retiring
« Reply #190 on: November 02, 2006, 02:20:41 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'136650\' date=\'Nov 2 2006, 01:38 PM\']
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'136649\' date=\'Nov 2 2006, 10:28 AM\']
[/quote]
There, fixed that for you.

Actually, with a competent host, TNPiR would have been pretty good. Doug Davidson was not a competent host.

(And Burton. Christ. Friggin' Burton.)
[/quote]

Let's agree to disagree with this one.  Maybe.

I liked TNPiR.  I liked the set. (see Golden Road on that black floor...classssy!)  The host wasn't aweful, but could have done a lot better.  But it fell against the juggernaut named Bob Barker and his classic set.  One of the reasons the 70's syndicated version lasted (I think) is that the set stayed the same with the daytime version (albeit with the inflated budget).  Tom Kennedy's version lasted that whole season for the same reason.

NOW...if they took the show currently, held it for, say, a year, and brought it back with that set, a competent host AND announcer, there could be a chance.  Isn't that what they did with "Sale of the Century/Temptation" in Australia?

(And I agree...Burton should NEVER EVER AGAIN announce on TPiR.)
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

TimK2003

Bob Barker Retiring
« Reply #191 on: November 02, 2006, 02:23:29 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'136637\' date=\'Nov 2 2006, 01:48 PM\']
I'm not throwing this name out at all, but what was honestly so bad about Doug Davidson? Mind you, it's been 12 years since I've seen the show, and I was only 12 at the time, so I didn't know any better. :-P

Was he just stiff as a host, didn't have the hang of the games? I mean, the show only ran for a few months, so it's not like he had too much of a chance to improve...
[/quote]

For some reason, Doug Davidson reminded me a lot of Jeff MacGregor (All New Dating Game '86) both in appearance and smarmy demeanor.

From what I remember from Davidson's TPiR, he tried to come up with funny little terms for parts of the game.  For example, he always liked to call the lever on the showcase range-finder thingamajig a "LEE-ver" in a way to make it sound funny.

Opening up my "Decisions, Decisions" ranking book, this is how I would rank the possibilities:

Tom Bergeron
Marc Summers
Todd Newton
Chuck Woolery
Dave Price
Doug Davidson

clemon79

Bob Barker Retiring
« Reply #192 on: November 02, 2006, 03:03:08 PM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'136654\' date=\'Nov 2 2006, 11:20 AM\']
(And I agree...Burton should NEVER EVER AGAIN announce on TPiR.)
[/quote]
There, fixed that for you. :)

gsgalaxy82

Bob Barker Retiring
« Reply #193 on: November 02, 2006, 04:00:29 PM »
To me there's only one candidate: John O'Hurley. But that's just my opinion.

David

Ian Wallis

Bob Barker Retiring
« Reply #194 on: November 02, 2006, 04:19:41 PM »

I didn't think Davidson's version of the show was that bad at the time.  It was a neat way to kill a half-hour in the evenings - but I guess it's back to the old adage "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

If Davidson's version of the show had been the same as Tom Kennedy's a decade earlier (in other words, just like the daytime version), do you think it might have lasted any longer than it did?
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!