Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Bob Barker Retiring  (Read 57695 times)

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Bob Barker Retiring
« Reply #195 on: November 02, 2006, 04:35:15 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'136674\' date=\'Nov 2 2006, 04:19 PM\']
If Davidson's version of the show had been the same as Tom Kennedy's a decade earlier (in other words, just like the daytime version), do you think it might have lasted any longer than it did?
[/quote]

It might have made it past 20 weeks, but I couldn't see it lasting past the season (just like Kennedy's).

But that's besides the point. As much as I did enjoy TNPiR, even back then I was saying that the original Price did not need a makeover. Whoever at Goodson/All American/Pearson/Fremantle/Wotthehelleva thought that needs to be smacked in the head repeatedly, at least IMHO.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

GS Warehouse

Bob Barker Retiring
« Reply #196 on: November 02, 2006, 04:43:14 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'136676\' date=\'Nov 2 2006, 04:35 PM\']... Goodson/All American/Pearson/Fremantle/Wotthehelleva ...[/quote]
No less than three articles and TV clips have called it "Freemantle".  Nice to see we haver a lot of English majors out there in the media.  [rolls eyes]

How about Ryan Seacrest?  He's currently employed by Fremantle...and everybody else, for that matter.  Or, how about a dark horse that currently works for CBS and is known and loved on this group.  That's right, I can only be talking about...

...wait for it...

...wait for it...

Pat O'Brien!

tpirfan28

Bob Barker Retiring
« Reply #197 on: November 02, 2006, 04:50:46 PM »
WE HAVE A WINNER!

/I then thought of Rush Limbaugh, but he can be the announcer
//change can be good
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

uncamark

Bob Barker Retiring
« Reply #198 on: November 02, 2006, 05:07:10 PM »
Believe it or not, a blogger from the LA Daily News has exhumed a former host already mentioned in this thread:

http://www.insidesocal.com/babbleon/archiv...ill_replac.html

It would be funnier if it was Kennedy.

Matt Ottinger

Bob Barker Retiring
« Reply #199 on: November 02, 2006, 05:12:15 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'136680\' date=\'Nov 2 2006, 05:07 PM\']
Believe it or not, a blogger from the LA Daily News has exhumed a former host already mentioned in this thread:
It would be funnier if it was Kennedy.[/quote]
Cullenbot 3000.  The one without the limp.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

gsgalaxy82

Bob Barker Retiring
« Reply #200 on: November 02, 2006, 05:13:54 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'136680\' date=\'Nov 2 2006, 05:07 PM\']

It would be funnier if it was Kennedy.
[/quote]

LOL. I didn't mind Davidson, but I think he's better suited on Young and the Restless.

David

Adam Nedeff

Bob Barker Retiring
« Reply #201 on: November 02, 2006, 09:07:52 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'136619\' date=\'Nov 2 2006, 11:54 AM\']
I don't think Marc Summers would be a bad candidate at all, actually. Why do you say that? Wouldn't you rather have a real game-show host than this manufactured CBS Golden Boy?
[/quote]

I'm casting my vote for Summers, too. Dealing with an audience full of ten-year-olds isn't that far removed from dealing with 300 "Price" fans. #2, he strikes me as caring enough about show prep to handle 70+ games in rotation. It didn't occur to me until this debate came up, but I realized on "Double Dare," he would always bring an index card with him when he was describing whatever physical challenge they were about to do...but then he would never look at it. He just knew the stunt. "Double Dare" was along the same lines of "a show done differently each time," and Marc did a heck of a job.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Bob Barker Retiring
« Reply #202 on: November 02, 2006, 09:31:10 PM »
By the later years, I wanna say mid 1989, and certainly by the time the show was "Family" on Nickelodeon, he wasn't using the index card. And you could further extrapolate that the obstacle course had some pricing game like qualities for it, as Marc knew the little ins and outs ("now you're going to be here with about 15 seconds left - your partner should have his hand stretched out...").

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

TimK2003

Bob Barker Retiring
« Reply #203 on: November 02, 2006, 10:55:55 PM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'136678\' date=\'Nov 2 2006, 05:50 PM\']
//change can be good
[/quote]

I chuckle the thought of Rush hosting TPiR..

Imagine the commentary fun he would have whenever they'd play Flip Flop!

Or the Grocery Game:

"On Fridays, YOU may choose your items, otherwise Monday through Thursday *I* get to choose what you pick."

dzinkin

Bob Barker Retiring
« Reply #204 on: November 02, 2006, 11:35:40 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'136722\' date=\'Nov 2 2006, 10:55 PM\']
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'136678\' date=\'Nov 2 2006, 05:50 PM\']
//change can be good
[/quote]

I chuckle the thought of Rush hosting TPiR..

Imagine the commentary fun he would have whenever they'd play Flip Flop!

Or the Grocery Game:

"On Fridays, YOU may choose your items, otherwise Monday through Thursday *I* get to choose what you pick."
[/quote]
Wouldn't work.  You already have too many contestants playing Hit Me with half their brains tied behind their backs. :-)

GS Warehouse

Bob Barker Retiring
« Reply #205 on: November 03, 2006, 12:12:30 AM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' post=\'136725\' date=\'Nov 2 2006, 11:35 PM\']... You already have too many contestants playing Hit Me with half their brains tied behind their backs. :-)[/quote]
But that makes it fair! :-D

MyCapableAssistant

Bob Barker Retiring
« Reply #206 on: November 03, 2006, 02:14:33 AM »
Which term of endearment do you think does the models the MOST justice on Price?

With Bob, we all have come to know them as "Barker's Beauties." Kinda rolls off the tongue. Easy enough.

IF Mr West were to step in, we could call them "Randy's EYE CANDY!" A little trickier than Bob's, but it get's the job done.

Dave Price would do well to name them "Dave's Darlings." Well.. maybe.

Then of course we have Daniel. Good ole' Mr. Rosen. I thought and I thought and the name that jumped out to me was "Danny's Fannies."
Perhaps taking the show in a far different neighborhood than Bob has...

Now of course if RICH FIELDS became the EM CEE, we'd have..
"Rich's - - um... Witches" YEAH.. WITCHES.. that's the ticket!
(or something close!) ...

Kent Broyhill

Bob Barker Retiring
« Reply #207 on: November 03, 2006, 02:41:06 AM »
[quote name=\'booboo\' post=\'136470\' date=\'Nov 1 2006, 01:46 PM\']
i do think that if Cbs continues with the prime time specials then they should see if they can't get Bob to step in just for them.
[/quote]

I was thinking the same thing.  Is it possible that Bob may do the periodic Prime Time Specials (which usually air during the sweeps months), or has he hung up his microphone for good?   Or has either been confirmed yet?

Inquiring minds want to know!  ;)

HYHYBT

Bob Barker Retiring
« Reply #208 on: November 03, 2006, 08:30:50 AM »
What to say... I'm glad he's decided to retire, and hope that it isn't, like, say, Charles Schulz's, barely in time. Wish I'd gotten around to seeing a taping... but on the bright side, everybody else now who's had that on their list of things to do eventually will be trying to get out there by June, so by the fall the lines should be shorter...

Anyway, as for a replacement, sure it's been talked to death. Many, many times. And will be, for at least two more rounds after the new host has been chosen. Personally, I'd prefer Tom Bergeron, which is almost a sure sign it'll be someone else, but any excuse to repost a quote saved from either this board or its predecessor, good for mood-lightening whenever needed:

[quote name=\'Chris319\' date=\' I hope\']Listen to me, Tom Bergeron.

You say you don't want a career in game shows? OK, fine. Turn the clock back to 1988(?) when Mike Brockman tapped game show emcee Pat Sajak to host a late-night talk show on CBS. Did Sajak quit Wheel of Fortune for this undertaking? No, he did not. Where would Pat Sajak be today if he had?

"Hi, I'm Pat Sajak. You may remember me from the hit game show 'Wheel of Fortune', or not. I want to tell all you insomniacs watching this infomercial at three AM how you can make five, ten, fifteen thousand dollars a week just by placing itty bitty want ads in the newspaper."

Now imagine a guy named Syd driving up to your house in a great big truck. What's in the truck? Why it's a printing press! But this isn't just any old printing press, no sir. It's a SPECIAL printing press. It only prints GREAT, BIG PAYCHECKS. Those paychecks all say "Fremantle" on them. This printing press will run just about forever. All you have to do is show up in 33 a couple of days a week and ask some people "What do you bid?". You wouldn't turn down Syd and his magic printing press now would you? Hmmm? Of course not, because if you do you might wind up like our friend Pat Sajak:

"Hi, I'm Tom Bergeron and I used to have a burgeoning television career. Help keep public television alive here in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. Send in a check for five, ten, twenty dollars, whatever you can afford."

OK?[/quote]

I'll try to be more coherent next time around.
"If you ask me to repeat this I'm gonna punch you right in the nose" -- Geoff Edwards, Play the Percentages

toddyo

Bob Barker Retiring
« Reply #209 on: November 03, 2006, 09:57:27 AM »
Any word on whether Yolanda will make an appearance on the last Bob episode?