Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Match Game (Behinds the Blank) and Best of DVD  (Read 11576 times)

tvwxman

Match Game (Behinds the Blank) and Best of DVD
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2006, 04:36:21 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'138912\' date=\'Nov 27 2006, 02:46 PM\']
And I would personally love it if the computer that runs the "DOND" board broke down and that they would have to bring out a big piece of cardboard on an easel with the amounts written on it in Magic Marker, with Howie crossing each one out with another Magic Marker as each case opened--not to mention the Banker holding up a huge card with the offer written in Magic Marker from his booth.  That to me would be, if not great television, still very entertaining, because it's the feeling that something is actually happening and not being processed.
[/quote]

It's written in stone at 30 Rock that no easel shall appear on any NBC show without Tim Russert there to assist.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

Hastin

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2006, 05:42:58 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'138897\' date=\'Nov 27 2006, 09:32 AM\']
I personally think a lot of editing sucks the immediacy out of a game show, and that one of the great appeals of a show like that is the sense that it's happening in the moment.
[/quote]

You mean like when they tape the Audience faking all the laughs/claps/sadness/etc. at the end of a taping? Or telling you to yell 'Deal!', even if you don't think that way? Or how about when they didn't like her reaction to revealing the million, so they did it again!?

After attending a 3+ hour taping of DoND, I truly learned how staged it was (can't stand watching it anymore). Thank god I had Jeopardy! tickets for the next day. Nice to see a show 'flow' again, just as Match Game did. Part of the fun was when then set went wrong, like TPiR.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2006, 05:46:16 PM by Hastin »
-Hastin :)

cweaver

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2006, 05:43:39 PM »
[quote name=\'Clay Zambo\' post=\'138909\' date=\'Nov 27 2006, 03:16 PM\']

(I've forgotten: did they do a re-take, or bleep Marcia's response from that show?)

[/quote]

They don't say in the documentary but I saw an "oops!" graphic cover up someone else's answer once (I think it was Charles, of all people) so I wouldn't be surprised if that happened this time.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2006, 05:50:51 PM »
[quote name=\'cweaver\' post=\'138922\' date=\'Nov 27 2006, 04:43 PM\']
[quote name=\'Clay Zambo\' post=\'138909\' date=\'Nov 27 2006, 03:16 PM\']

(I've forgotten: did they do a re-take, or bleep Marcia's response from that show?)

[/quote]

They don't say in the documentary but I saw an "oops!" graphic cover up someone else's answer once (I think it was Charles, of all people) so I wouldn't be surprised if that happened this time.
[/quote]
I *think* I saw the ep in question where Marcia's was bleeped.  I want to say both mouth and card were obscured (don't remember if the bleep was audible).  Pretty sure it wasn't a retake.

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Adam Nedeff

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2006, 06:05:12 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'138249\' date=\'Nov 19 2006, 10:28 AM\']
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' post=\'138234\' date=\'Nov 19 2006, 12:00 AM\']
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'138219\' date=\'Nov 18 2006, 06:25 PM\']
Richard Dawson's interviews were clearly conducted some time ago, probably around the time when GSN was just getting started and getting comments from all the icons they could get their hands on.[/quote]I would assume Gene's remarks are from about the same time?[/quote]
Yep.

[/quote]
Actually, esteemed moderator, I think there was about five years' space between the two interviews. Dawson's interview was probably, as theorized, from the beginning of GSN (It looked like it was shot in his dressing room between Feud tapings), but when GSN first aired that interview from Gene, they hyped it as being "one of his last interviews" and implied that it was done VERY close to his 1999 death,

BrandonFG

« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2006, 07:17:44 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'138924\' date=\'Nov 27 2006, 05:50 PM\']
[quote name=\'cweaver\' post=\'138922\' date=\'Nov 27 2006, 04:43 PM\']
[/quote]
I *think* I saw the ep in question where Marcia's was bleeped.  I want to say both mouth and card were obscured (don't remember if the bleep was audible).  Pretty sure it wasn't a retake.
[/quote]
Looks like it was left in.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

pyramid100

« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2006, 10:41:44 AM »
that picture is photoshopped unless Marcia showed two cards

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2006, 11:37:29 AM »
Maybe I'm missing something, but what makes you say that?

Steve McClellan

« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2006, 11:43:51 AM »
Silly, there's no way that MG logo was in the top right on the original airing, of course it was Photoshopped!

Actually, the large image at the bottom of that page is the first frame after the cut from Richard to Marcia, modified by no more than some color enhancement, if anything. The cameraman is in the process of zooming out, so starting with the next frame, the answer is effectively obscured by the "OOPS!"

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2006, 01:45:19 AM »
Well, Buzzer says that the documentary hit the "big" numbers.  .7 rating and 450K households.  I know this is probably lousy perspective, but  CNN and ABC Family got .7 for all of October (as per CableWorld) and ESPN 2 and Food Network got .6

How did GSN do in October?  .3 (better than 3 networks) and 198K (better than 6).  I'm thinking that will improve this month purely on the documentary, but considering practically all the originals were in reruns or pulled by then, I'm not so sure.
This signature is currently under construction.

DjohnsonCB

« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2006, 11:44:02 AM »
Near the end of the broadcast, I discovered some real food for thought.  It was stated that the three attempts to revive MG--two without Rayburn hosting--didn't do well and were soon dropped.  This proves that just because the original version of a game was a long-running classic (although in this instance, it was the second version), that doesn't mean that one should stick to some unofficial rule that only the classics are worth bringing back in new incarnations and that certain lesser games should be left to wallow in eternal obscurity.

A perfect example of the latter was Second Chance, whose format could have could have been written off as disastrous and not worth refining and reviving.  But of course, its creators DID refine it, and it was indeed revived by another network as Press Your Luck, which became, at least, a respectable and well-remembered show at a time when games gradually starting to disappear from network daytime.
"Disconnect her buzzer...disconnect EVERYONE'S buzzer!"

--Alex Trebel

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2006, 12:12:55 PM »
Nitpick, but the NBC version ran slightly longer than the CBS version.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

mmb5

« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2006, 01:06:53 PM »
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'139156\' date=\'Nov 30 2006, 01:45 AM\']
How did GSN do in October?  .3 (better than 3 networks) and 198K (better than 6).  I'm thinking that will improve this month purely on the documentary, but considering practically all the originals were in reruns or pulled by then, I'm not so sure.
[/quote]
It might improve slightly, but mathematically it won't be that much of a change.  For one hour to bump a 3-hour, 30-day rating just 0.1 the special would have had to been at least 1.3.  I don't think GSN has ever crossed 1.0 for any one hour.  Plus GSN will probably down a little bit anyway because of first-run competition on the networks.
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

cweaver

« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2006, 04:58:59 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'139184\' date=\'Nov 30 2006, 01:12 PM\']
Nitpick, but the NBC version ran slightly longer than the CBS version.
[/quote]

On the other hand, the second version (as it was called) didn't confine its run to CBS, it ran three more years in syndication.  That combined run outlasted the original, NBC, two-celebrity-four-civilian format by two years.

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2006, 03:56:42 PM »
[quote name=\'mmb5\' post=\'139193\' date=\'Nov 30 2006, 01:06 PM\'] I don't think GSN has ever crossed 1.0 for any one hour.  [/quote]

If "ever" means this month, I would tend to agree, but over 12 years, I would think that either Big Bucks or the first batch of originals in 2K1 would put them over the 1.0 mark
« Last Edit: December 01, 2006, 03:58:07 PM by Joe Mello »
This signature is currently under construction.