Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GSN's First Day?  (Read 8042 times)

chad1m

GSN's First Day?
« on: December 02, 2006, 12:00:07 AM »
As we all (should) know, today is the twelfth anniversary of God's gift to lovers of new Cadillacs and turtle wax, Game Show Network. I was wondering if there was a schedule floating around of what aired on the first day of broadcasting? It would be interesting to compare how different/similar it is to today. Thanks for any help!

ChuckNet

GSN's First Day?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2006, 12:23:17 AM »
During their first day, they ran a marathon featuring an ep of every show in their library @ the time, which resulted in some rarities not seen again until the Dark Period or later (The New Treasure Hunt, BtB '76, Diamond Head, Hollywood Connection, Camouflage, Bullseye, etc.), in addition to more common stuff (Tattletales, WoF, etc.).

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

Matt Ottinger

GSN's First Day?
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2006, 01:42:49 AM »
In order of airing (which appeared to be chronological by their original airdates):

What's My Line?
Beat the Clock
I've Got a Secret
To Tell the Truth
Password
The Dating Game
The Newlywed Game
The Perfect Match
All About Faces
Juvenile Jury
The Joker's Wild
The Parent Game
Match Game '73
The New Treasure Hunt
Tattletales
Now You See It
Wheel of Fortune
The Diamond Head Game
Break the Bank
The Fun Factory
Family Feud
Double Dare
Hollywood Connection
Card Sharks
Tic Tac Dough
The $1.98 Beauty Show
Jeopardy!
Celebrity Charades
Three's a Crowd
Joker! Joker! Joker!
Play the Percentages
Camouflage
Bullseye
Blockbusters
Fantasy
Child's Play
Hot Potato
Body Language
Trivia Trap
Bumper Stumpers
All About the Opposite Sex
Hold Everything
The Quiz Kids Challenge
Ruckus

Notably absent from Day One:  The Price Is Right in ANY form and The Gong Show.  The Bob Stewart library was acquired later.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Craig Karlberg

GSN's First Day?
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2006, 03:28:24 AM »
Seeing that first day line-up made me wonder why I waitec 4 years before I got GSN even on a part-time basis.  I'm curious about some of those rarities like Fantasy, All About the Opppsite Sex & Hold Everything.  The others like Diamond Head Game & Rockus I'd personally wanna forget.  Strange TPIR wasn't even considered untill they actually acquired the rights to air those shows again before they dropped them for good a few years ago.

Matt Ottinger

GSN's First Day?
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2006, 10:05:02 AM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' post=\'139326\' date=\'Dec 2 2006, 03:28 AM\'] I'm curious about some of those rarities like Fantasy, All About the Opppsite Sex & Hold Everything.  The others like Diamond Head Game & Rockus I'd personally wanna forget.  Strange TPIR wasn't even considered untill they actually acquired the rights to air those shows again before they dropped them for good a few years ago.[/quote]
I understand and appreciate your curiosity, but trust me, once you saw those other ones, you'd wanna forget them too.

Also, it's not as though TPIR "wasn't even considered".  GSN would have loved to show one of the most popular game shows of all time.  They weren't able to get the rights to it along with the other Goodson-Todman shows.

tpirfan28

GSN's First Day?
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2006, 10:23:25 AM »
In response to TPiR...

Isn't that and Feud '94 on a completely separate contract?
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

PYLW

GSN's First Day?
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2006, 10:59:25 AM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'139339\' date=\'Dec 2 2006, 10:23 AM\'] In response to TPiR...

Isn't that and Feud '94 on a completely separate contract? [/quote]

Correct. Question, would their be any way to make a seperate Feud '94 contract if they REALLY wanted to air it?

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
GSN's First Day?
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2006, 11:05:39 AM »
I believe in the not-too-distant past (meaning a time when TPIR wasn't on the schedule) they ran a Dawson '94 as part of a marathon.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
GSN's First Day?
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2006, 12:22:04 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'139325\' date=\'Dec 2 2006, 12:42 AM\']
In order of airing (which appeared to be chronological by their original airdates):

Tattletales
Now You See It
Wheel of Fortune
The Diamond Head Game
Break the Bank
[/quote]
I didn't have GSN then, but I'm assuming the WoF ep shown was a syndie Sajak ep, yes?

Which would make it really out of place if GSN were trying to run the eps in chronological order.

Just an observation.  YMMV.

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

dzinkin

GSN's First Day?
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2006, 12:28:19 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLW\' post=\'139341\' date=\'Dec 2 2006, 10:59 AM\']
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'139339\' date=\'Dec 2 2006, 10:23 AM\'] In response to TPiR...

Isn't that and Feud '94 on a completely separate contract?[/quote]Correct.
[/quote]
Not so fast.  It makes sense that Feud '94 would have had to be licensed separately because it was in first run when GSN signed on, and when GSN acquired rights to TPIR it made sense to get Feud '94 at the same time.  Who's to say that such an arrangement is still in place or necessary?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2006, 12:28:39 PM by dzinkin »

tpirfan28

GSN's First Day?
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2006, 01:25:56 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' post=\'139346\' date=\'Dec 2 2006, 12:28 PM\']
Not so fast.  It makes sense that Feud '94 would have had to be licensed separately because it was in first run when GSN signed on, and when GSN acquired rights to TPIR it made sense to get Feud '94 at the same time.  Who's to say that such an arrangement is still in place or necessary?
[/quote]
I was just referencing the past contract, becuase I remember somewhere saying that during the "Dark Period" (which I didn't see, nor did I know about GSN at the time), TPiR and Feud '94 were together on that separate contract, and didn't go bye-bye.

I'd assume that Feud '94 probably will be (or already is) part of another G-T contract renewal, unless Dawson doesn't want those shown again.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
GSN's First Day?
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2006, 01:54:58 PM »
I didn't have GSN then, but I'm assuming the WoF ep shown was a syndie Sajak ep, yes?

Correct. I believe the episode on this debut marathon came from 1983.

--Jamie

Allstar87

GSN's First Day?
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2006, 10:02:52 PM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' post=\'139342\' date=\'Dec 2 2006, 11:05 AM\']
I believe in the not-too-distant past (meaning a time when TPIR wasn't on the schedule) they ran a Dawson '94 as part of a marathon.
[/quote]

The most recent time they showed an ep. was Halloween '04; GSN didn't even mention it was going to air, so it surprised a lot of viewers.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2006, 10:03:08 PM by Allstar87 »

ChuckNet

GSN's First Day?
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2006, 10:20:36 PM »
Correct. I believe the episode on this debut marathon came from 1983.

Yep...in fact, it was the 3rd syndie ep, which featured a rather unusual "extra wheel prize" (for the era, anyway): $500 cash, its corresponding space denoted by a single dollar sign.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

Matt Ottinger

GSN's First Day?
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2006, 11:36:43 PM »
[quote name=\'cool245\' post=\'139392\' date=\'Dec 2 2006, 11:12 PM\']
Does anyone know what the first show to air after the debut marathon was?[/quote]
Match Game '73, followed by Family Feud and a Password with guest host Jack Clark.  This was their regular prime time lineup (along with other B&W classics), and with host segments and call-in games, each show ran about 40 minutes.  (Remember the promos that game the times in "-ish"?)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2006, 09:36:36 AM by Matt Ottinger »