Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: hosts dressing casually  (Read 2358 times)

chrispw1

hosts dressing casually
« on: December 13, 2006, 02:24:16 PM »
Having seen the Winning Streak clip with Bill Cullen in butterfly collars and shoulder length hair and Jackpot with geoff Edwards who were other hosts who dressed in that style on their shows, it seemed a few other NBC hosts also did in the Lin Bolen era.

Kevin Prather

hosts dressing casually
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2006, 01:22:12 AM »
Well, Bert Convy on WLoD. I suppose Vicki did too, yes?

I think most Nickelodeon game shows, if those count.

BrandonFG

hosts dressing casually
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2006, 01:34:27 AM »
Donny Osmond on Pyramid, Todd Newton on Whammy. Both wore open-collar suits (although Donny wore a tie once).

Pat Finn became more and more casual on Shop Til You Drop.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2006, 01:37:34 AM by fostergray82 »
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Jimmy Owen

hosts dressing casually
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2006, 02:39:52 AM »
First one I remember not wearing a tie was Allen Ludden on ABC "Password."  Of course, Bob Eubanks wore a Hawaiian flowerdy shirt on "Diamond Head."
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Craig Karlberg

hosts dressing casually
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2006, 03:32:13 AM »
If we're gonna count those Nick shows, then I'd assume most kids' game shows had hosts that dressed casually with the exception of Marc Summers from DD.  Having said that, I can picture J.D. Roth wearing casually on the syndicated Fun House.  It's better than wearing a tuxedo because there's always a chance the hosts will have their shirts messed up.  All it takes is a little washing & be back at it with the same shirt on another day.

johnnya2k3

hosts dressing casually
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2006, 03:51:18 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'140492\' date=\'Dec 13 2006, 10:39 PM\']
First one I remember not wearing a tie was Allen Ludden on ABC "Password."  Of course, Bob Eubanks wore a Hawaiian flowerdy shirt on "Diamond Head."
[/quote]
Yes, there was a photo of Ludden doing the ABC Password in an open-collar shirt. And on the E! True Hollywood Story on "Hollywood Squares", they showed a pic of Peter Marshall hosting in a leisure suit.

As for Eubanks, I think the V-neck sweaters on "Trivia Trap" suited him better than on Diamond Head. And aren't we forgetting Frank Nicotero on "Street Smarts"?!

On the Nick game shows side, I'm sure "Legends of the Hidden Temple" got grown-up female viewers watching thanks to Kirk Fogg during the first season (he had on shorts, a denim shirt, and work boots).

Jonathan Allen, who thinks Governor Sarah Palin would've been a great host if she hadn't went into politics

dmota104

hosts dressing casually
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2006, 11:08:10 AM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' post=\'140495\' date=\'Dec 14 2006, 04:32 AM\']
If we're gonna count those Nick shows, then I'd assume most kids' game shows had hosts that dressed casually with the exception of Marc Summers from DD.  Having said that, I can picture J.D. Roth wearing casually on the syndicated Fun House.  It's better than wearing a tuxedo because there's always a chance the hosts will have their shirts messed up.  All it takes is a little washing & be back at it with the same shirt on another day.
[/quote]

Marc was often seen dressed casually (sweaters mainly) on Couch Potatoes.

Jim Caldwell (ducking) dressed in casual clothes (sweaters from time to time) on the 2nd season of Top Card.  You'll recall that was the season TC "went country" with other forms of music trivia.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2006, 11:16:43 AM by dmota104 »

HYHYBT

hosts dressing casually
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2006, 01:47:35 PM »
Alex Trebek and Ray Combs, in later episodes of Classic Concentration and Family Feud
"If you ask me to repeat this I'm gonna punch you right in the nose" -- Geoff Edwards, Play the Percentages

MitchJoseph2004

hosts dressing casually
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2006, 02:16:05 PM »
Have we all forgotten about our friend Richard Karn already?
I never remember seeing him with a tie.

BrandonFG

hosts dressing casually
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2006, 03:08:42 PM »
[quote name=\'MitchJoseph2004\' post=\'140521\' date=\'Dec 14 2006, 02:16 PM\']
Have we all forgotten about our friend Richard Karn already?
I never remember seeing him with a tie.
[/quote]
To answer your question, yes we have. ;-)

Seriously, his first season, he wore ties quite often. Here's one pic. After that, he went for the open-collar look.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!