Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Super Password End game question  (Read 5764 times)

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Super Password End game question
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2007, 12:21:05 AM »
[quote name=\'SamJ93\' post=\'146411\' date=\'Feb 19 2007, 10:58 PM\']
Now, this leads us to another interesting hypothetical: say that this happened on P+ while the "no opposites" rule was in place.  Would "Robin" have been ruled an unacceptable clue?  It's not really an opposite in the purest sense, but it does imply "the other one who is NOT Robin," which in context is one...
[/quote]
Ludden pointed out on a number of occasions that "pairs" are not opposites.  So since Batman and Robin were a pair (no, I'm not going the MG73 route :) ), "Robin" would be a perfectly acceptable clue.  Although there are about three other words that spring to mind--"bird," "hood," and "Williams."

Sorry, TTTT8x or Howard Stern (the other one) fans--"Ward" and "Quivers" didn't make my survey.
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

dzinkin

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2007, 12:36:40 AM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'146414\' date=\'Feb 20 2007, 12:21 AM\']
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'146410\' date=\'Feb 19 2007, 11:54 PM\']
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'146408\' date=\'Feb 19 2007, 08:48 PM\']
DoorNumberFour has a point...not everybody's gonna go for the opposite inflection right away.
[/quote]
This is like saying "You know, not everyone on Hollywood Squares is going to know to go for the block."
[/quote]

No, it isn't.
[/quote]

[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'146414\' date=\'Feb 20 2007, 12:21 AM\']
I'm sure the contestant coordinators or someone else at the Password game shows probably told the players what to expect, and probably drilled the point fairly hard. Doesn't mean that someone will always know what the opposite might be[/quote]
The point wasn't whether or not you know the correct opposite.  The point was that if the password is "Batman" and you're using "Robin" as a clue, you're going to know to use the opposite inflection or you really shouldn't be there.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2007, 12:37:28 AM by dzinkin »

rebelwrest

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2007, 12:51:30 AM »
My clue would have been "hero" but with the theme song to the 60s Batman in the clue.
My favorite Win Ben Stein's Money Category:

Where Am I Doc? Urinalysis Restaurant.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2007, 01:46:25 AM »
[quote name=\'rebelwrest\' post=\'146419\' date=\'Feb 19 2007, 09:51 PM\']
My clue would have been "hero" but with the theme song to the 60s Batman in the clue.
[/quote]
How would you do that with a two-syllable word without making an absolute prat of yourself?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2007, 01:53:14 AM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' post=\'146423\' date=\'Feb 19 2007, 10:46 PM\']
How would you do that with a two-syllable word without making an absolute prat of yourself?
[/quote]
That ship has already sailed, young Padawan.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

rebelwrest

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2007, 02:05:22 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'146424\' date=\'Feb 20 2007, 01:53 AM\']
[quote name=\'whoserman\' post=\'146423\' date=\'Feb 19 2007, 10:46 PM\']
[/quote]
That ship has already sailed, young Padawan.
[/quote]

and some of you have been trying to sink that ship for awhile.

Was there ever a time limit in the main game on how long your clue could last?

J.R.

« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2007, 06:28:55 AM »
[quote name=\'rebelwrest\' post=\'146419\' date=\'Feb 19 2007, 11:51 PM\']
[/quote]

Please STOP with the the "Stand-up comedian" act, I think we've made it quite clear it's not that funny.
-Joe Raygor

dzinkin

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2007, 07:19:25 AM »
[quote name=\'JRaygor\' post=\'146429\' date=\'Feb 20 2007, 06:28 AM\']
[quote name=\'rebelwrest\' post=\'146419\' date=\'Feb 19 2007, 11:51 PM\']
[/quote]
Please STOP with the the "Stand-up comedian" act, I think we've made it quite clear it's not that funny.
[/quote]
Sadly, Joe, it seems that he was being perfectly serious.

rebelwrest

« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2007, 10:58:35 AM »
It wasn't meant to be a joke.  If I was on the show, I would have given that clue.  The only clues I can think of that could possibly get "Batman" on the first clue are Gotham and Riddler.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2007, 11:22:08 AM »
[quote name=\'rebelwrest\' post=\'146440\' date=\'Feb 20 2007, 07:58 AM\']
It wasn't meant to be a joke.  If I was on the show, I would have given that clue.  The only clues I can think of that could possibly get "Batman" on the first clue are Gotham and Riddler.
[/quote]
So, wait, not only would you have given a horrible (and likely illegal) clue, but you would do so even knowing there were better clues you could give?

You're something special, you are.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2007, 01:39:54 PM »
[quote name=\'rebelwrest\' post=\'146440\' date=\'Feb 20 2007, 10:58 AM\']
only clues I can think of that could possibly get "Batman" on the first clue are Gotham and Riddler.
[/quote]

Maybe ONE of those might lead you to Batman. Here's a hint: it's not Riddler.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Don Howard

« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2007, 01:40:50 PM »
[quote name=\'DoorNumberFour\' post=\'146380\' date=\'Feb 19 2007, 04:59 PM\']
Maybe like: "Bat......Man......say......those......words......together..."
[/quote]
Well, yes, I suppose you could do that and if the contestant got it, he/she would receive the money.
However, I suspect the celebrity cleugiver might not be asked back.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2007, 01:45:54 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'146453\' date=\'Feb 20 2007, 12:39 PM\']
[quote name=\'rebelwrest\' post=\'146440\' date=\'Feb 20 2007, 10:58 AM\']
only clues I can think of that could possibly get "Batman" on the first clue are Gotham and Riddler.
[/quote]

Maybe ONE of those might lead you to Batman. Here's a hint: it's not Riddler.
[/quote]
Seems to me that "Catwoman" might be a decent clue as well--the word itself is not an opposite and of Batman's primary villians it's the only one whose name doesn't necessarily lead you to other words ("Joker" could, "Penguin" could, etc.).

But like all of these clues, if the person receiving has no idea who Batman is, then one clue isn't going to do it.
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2007, 01:53:17 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'146455\' date=\'Feb 20 2007, 01:45 PM\']
Seems to me that "Catwoman" might be a decent clue as well--the word itself is not an opposite and of Batman's primary villians it's the only one whose name doesn't necessarily lead you to other words ("Joker" could, "Penguin" could, etc.).

But like all of these clues, if the person receiving has no idea who Batman is, then one clue isn't going to do it.
[/quote]

That was my point from the beginning, which I don't think I got across very well. Regardless of the inflection you use, some people just don't know who Batman is.

I apologize for being a little snarky with my original post, mainly because I didn't know that Chris was talking about cluegivers rather than clue receivers (and partly because I was still a little mad about him calling me Karlberg when I came up with something that he didn't agree with, after I conceded that he had a point, but didn't agree with said point).
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

cmjb13

« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2007, 03:17:44 PM »
My original intent was to see if any 1 word could be split up into 2 and the legality of it. Not so much whether it would be beneficial to the game. I used Batman as an example. There are many others.

Underwear
Briefcase
Shoehorn
Horseshoe
etc...
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS