Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New Price tryouts. March 12.  (Read 5986 times)

tvwxman

New Price tryouts. March 12.
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2007, 09:53:39 AM »
[quote name=\'JVatPSU\' post=\'146834\' date=\'Feb 25 2007, 06:31 AM\']
(If it's any consolation, Matt, several Vegas books have you more favored for the Price job... than say, Bob Maxon.  :-) )
[/quote]
Well, that's a little better. Emphasis on 'little'.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2007, 11:04:07 AM »
[quote name=\'calliaume\' post=\'146823\' date=\'Feb 24 2007, 10:50 PM\']How many of us were horrified at the thought of Donny Osmond hosting Pyramid?  But by the end of the first season, general consensus was he was the best thing about the show.[/quote]
Well, yes. And we may think more highly of Mario Lopez after they: change the rules so that a stuck Plinko chip counts as landing in $0, start making contestants bid on ceramic dalmatians every day, knock 10 seconds off every game with a time limit . . .

(Pointless note: the last is a comparison to something on Pyramid I actually didn't mind, but it turns out that Pyramid and TPIR don't have a lot in common. Who knew?)
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2007, 12:49:38 PM »
I dunno about Hamilton. The fact that Randy thought highly of him speaks volumes....but I see him the same way i see O'Hurley....playing 'the role' of a game show host, instead of just hosting the show.....
Hamilton was natural and unaffected as a panelist on MG98. I don't see why you assume he would simply "play the role" after someone who knows his stuff and has seen him do it said he was capital "GREAT".
« Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 12:50:05 PM by chris319 »

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2007, 01:13:34 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'146840\' date=\'Feb 25 2007, 12:49 PM\']
I dunno about Hamilton. The fact that Randy thought highly of him speaks volumes....but I see him the same way i see O'Hurley....playing 'the role' of a game show host, instead of just hosting the show.....
Hamilton was natural and unaffected as a panelist on MG98. I don't see why you assume he would simply "play the role" after someone who knows his stuff and has seen him do it said he was capital "GREAT".[/quote]
I think what may set George Hamilton apart from a John O'Hurley is that he's learned to play the part of George Hamilton to perfection.  When you're a pop culture icon, you need a healthy dose of self-awareness so folks know you're in on the joke, but you can't let it drift into self-parody the way Shatner probably did with Show Me The Money.  Hamilton's proven he's comfortable being himself in a talk show setting and as a panelist, and even his silly commercials show him as someone who gets it. ("I know toasted.")  He'd also have that sexy-older-man thing going for him that might make for a smoother transition than a younger host would provide.  I don't see any reason why he wouldn't be terrific as a host.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 01:14:48 PM by Matt Ottinger »
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

tvwxman

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2007, 01:42:05 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'146842\' date=\'Feb 25 2007, 01:13 PM\']
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'146840\' date=\'Feb 25 2007, 12:49 PM\']
Hamilton was natural and unaffected as a panelist on MG98. I don't see why you assume he would simply "play the role" after someone who knows his stuff and has seen him do it said he was capital "GREAT".[/quote]
I think what may set George Hamilton apart from a John O'Hurley is that he's learned to play the part of George Hamilton to perfection.  When you're a pop culture icon, you need a healthy dose of self-awareness so folks know you're in on the joke, but you can't let it drift into self-parody the way Shatner probably did with Show Me The Money.  Hamilton's proven he's comfortable being himself in a talk show setting and as a panelist, and even his silly commercials show him as someone who gets it. ("I know toasted.")  He'd also have that sexy-older-man thing going for him that might make for a smoother transition than a younger host would provide.  I don't see any reason why he wouldn't be terrific as a host.
[/quote]
Don't get me wrong, I think he's the best selection yet for tryouts... But there just seems to be a new mentality in finding a new host for one ot tv's longest running shows , a new mentality that I just can't seem to get.

I mean, you mean to tell me that there isn't ONE veteran game show host, with experience in the genre, that shouldn't be considered?  (And please, Newton BARELY qualifies here).  Tom Kennedy himself said this show is tough to do.  You gonna tell me with a straight face that Dave Price, Mario Lopez, Doug Davidson, Mike Richards and John O Hurley are the best they can come up with?

Yeah, Hamilton 'gets it' as a tv personality, but to me , that has little to do with being a game show host.
-------------

Matt

Don Howard

« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2007, 07:18:00 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'146846\' date=\'Feb 25 2007, 01:42 PM\']
I mean, you mean to tell me that there isn't ONE veteran game show host, with experience in the genre, that shouldn't be considered?[/quote]
But who is there? Most of our favorites are either in their 70s or 80s or deceased.
I wouldn't mind Gordon Elliott being given a shot.
Would Chuck Woolery want it? Would you consider Chuck as the new host?
Same with Wink Martindale and Bob Eubanks and others we've loved over the decades.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 07:22:21 PM by Don Howard »

tpirfan28

« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2007, 07:27:16 PM »
I mean, you mean to tell me that there isn't ONE veteran game show host, with experience in the genre, that shouldn't be considered?[/quote]
That's the problem...like Don said, most of them are too old to take over the show at this point.  The other two "veterans", Alex Trebek and Pat Sajak, aren't moving anytime soon, nor do I want them too.

I do want to see David Ruprecht given a shot...unless there's a new Supermarket Sweep in the works.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

Clay Zambo

« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2007, 07:50:13 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'146808\' date=\'Feb 24 2007, 03:23 PM\']
[quote name=\'JVatPSU\' post=\'146799\' date=\'Feb 24 2007, 11:21 AM\']
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'146746\' date=\'Feb 23 2007, 05:27 PM\']
And jeez, but if they're desperate enough to go down the route of Mike Richards, we may as well hire an unknown to do it, like a morning weatherman in, oh, I dunno, say , Connecticut?
[/quote]
Scot Haney?  <ducking>
[/quote]
I dunno who you are, but I've shot men for less.
[/quote]

The board member who bids closest to the retail price of the contract on JV's life...  ;)
czambo@mac.com

JayDLewis

« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2007, 07:56:46 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'146846\' date=\'Feb 25 2007, 02:42 PM\']

I mean, you mean to tell me that there isn't ONE veteran game show host, with experience in the genre, that shouldn't be considered?  
[/quote]

There's one guy who comes to mind but it'd never happen. Even though he has the most experience behind 'Ol Bob...Larry Emdur.

(Someone else suggested Gordon Eliott...another fine choice, IMO)
QWIZX.com  -- A little bit of everything

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2007, 01:33:17 AM »
[quote name=\'JayDLewis\' post=\'146874\' date=\'Feb 25 2007, 04:56 PM\']
There's one guy who comes to mind but it'd never happen. Even though he has the most experience behind 'Ol Bob...Larry Emdur.
[/quote]
Did you learn NOTHING from Bruce Forsyth?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

JVatPSU

« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2007, 07:52:36 AM »
I mean, you mean to tell me that there isn't ONE veteran game show host, with experience in the genre, that shouldn't be considered?  (And please, Newton BARELY qualifies here).  Tom Kennedy himself said this show is tough to do.  You gonna tell me with a straight face that Dave Price, Mario Lopez, Doug Davidson, Mike Richards and John O Hurley are the best they can come up with?

Yeah, Hamilton 'gets it' as a tv personality, but to me , that has little to do with being a game show host.
[/quote]

The problem I have with the list is that very few of them have proven, at least in their previous gigs, that they know how to deal with John or Jane Q. Public.  I can't help but think that Hamilton will try to make the show about him (whether he's conscious of the fact or not), which is the total opposite of the Barker mentality.  Should they be looking for the next Barker facsimilie?  No.  But they should be looking for a host that will keep the credo of keeping the contestants (the lifeblood of the show) the stars.

Mentioning Newton for a second... Newton has a very bad history of over-the-topping entire situations.  The one thing Barker does when someone wins is not go crazy himself, but rather lets the college kid from Ohio jump all over the place.  

And I will go on record and say that you, Matt, would be a better candidate than Dave Price.  :-)  
Dave's crowd work on The Early Show is, for a lack of better words, downright painful.  

-- JV
(My personal choice?  Bergeron.  Won't happen though.  Problems are:  he has two gigs on ABC -- one of which is a highly rated cash cow for the network and most of his recent job experience (Squares, Dancing) is with the celebs.  I truly think, though, that he could pull off the work necessary for this amazing gig.)

tyshaun1

« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2007, 08:01:28 AM »
[quote name=\'JVatPSU\' post=\'146901\' date=\'Feb 26 2007, 07:52 AM\']
  I can't help but think that Hamilton will try to make the show about him (whether he's conscious of the fact or not), which is the total opposite of the Barker mentality.  
[/quote]

Are you serious? IMO that's the main problem about the show these days, not a day has gone by over the last 10 years where Barker will stop the show cold just to make a personal comment or observation that is often obvious or unnecessary. He's the prime example of a host making a show about him.

As for Hamilton, he has a self-awareness about that is good, yet I agree with most in that he'd also inadvertently make it into "Hey, it's George Hamilton on The Price Is Right!"

Tyshaun

tvwxman

« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2007, 10:16:55 AM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'146868\' date=\'Feb 25 2007, 07:18 PM\']
But who is there? Most of our favorites are either in their 70s or 80s or deceased.
I wouldn't mind Gordon Elliott being given a shot.
[/quote]
I like Gordon. he'd fit in well.

My one choice ? Marc Summers. I really think it's the role he was meant to have.
-------------

Matt

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2007, 10:34:40 AM »
I think George Hamilton would be pretty good. He did the G-T panels of the '60s (he was on WML? this morning) and was always entertaining.  

Versatile actor, too.  What other actor could play Moss Hart, Hank Williams, Evel Kneivel, Dracula and Zorro and do so well in each role?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Win a Pile

« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2007, 10:47:51 AM »

(My personal choice?  Bergeron.  Won't happen though.  Problems are:  he has two gigs on ABC -- one of which is a highly rated cash cow for the network and most of his recent job experience (Squares, Dancing) is with the celebs.  I truly think, though, that he could pull off the work necessary for this amazing gig.)
[/quote]

I think Bergeron fits under the "best choice who's not being considered" category. I agree with your thinking that he's probably the best choice. Seasoned, professional, good sense of humor and, from my interactions with him, a very nice & genuine guy (a rarity in Hollywood).
« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 10:59:47 AM by Matt Ottinger »