Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader?" theme song MP3  (Read 9980 times)

David Levy

"Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader?" theme song MP3
« on: March 23, 2007, 12:53:02 AM »
Several posters have commented that it's the best part of the show (sadly enough), and it can now be streamed from the Fox website.  I've extracted the MP3 file and uploaded it here.

[Composed and produced by David Vanacore.  Performed by the Blessed Kateri Children's Choir.]

Hastin

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 03:41:37 AM »
If you get rid of the kids singing, it's sounds very Endemol-like.
-Hastin :)

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 10:52:33 AM »
Thanks for that, David.  I really do get a kick out of the theme, though now that I've heard it in its "entirety", I was really hoping there would be more to it.  Just one more disappointment from a disappointing show.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

BrandonFG

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2007, 01:38:40 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'148879\' date=\'Mar 23 2007, 10:52 AM\']
Thanks for that, David.  I really do get a kick out of the theme, though now that I've heard it in its "entirety", I was really hoping there would be more to it.  Just one more disappointment from a disappointing show.
[/quote]
I'm noticing the new trend in theme songs is to be no more than :30 seconds nowadays, even on the game shows. It's catchy with the lyrics, kinda lackluster without. Then again, the show's lackluster too. ;-)
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2007, 01:51:54 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'148887\' date=\'Mar 23 2007, 10:38 AM\']
I'm noticing the new trend in theme songs is to be no more than :30 seconds nowadays, even on the game shows. It's catchy with the lyrics, kinda lackluster without. Then again, the show's lackluster too. ;-)
[/quote]
Well, it doesn't need to be longer, right? The reason the old-school themes were longer was so that they could deadroll and fill time if they needed to run long credits, right? And now, with things edited to a smooth paste, needing a show to time out at the end is no longer an issue.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2007, 02:06:42 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'148889\' date=\'Mar 23 2007, 01:51 PM\']
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'148887\' date=\'Mar 23 2007, 10:38 AM\']
[/quote]
Well, it doesn't need to be longer, right? The reason the old-school themes were longer was so that they could deadroll and fill time if they needed to run long credits, right? And now, with things edited to a smooth paste, needing a show to time out at the end is no longer an issue.
[/quote]
I honestly thought about that one, and I'm guessing it's seen more on the network shows than in syndication, since they might show, what, :5-:10 of the original credits before going to the network credits/promos? I think D/ND and 1 vs. 100 show even less now, since they show all the producer/director credits as soon as Howie/Bob walks on set. In that sense, I agree it's pointless to do a drawn-out two minute-plus theme song, when you'll only hear 10% of it on-air.

I think with the syndie shows, they all backtime the theme songs, but reloop on Millionaire and Feud.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 02:09:19 PM by fostergray82 »
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

uncamark

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2007, 05:09:58 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'148893\' date=\'Mar 23 2007, 01:06 PM\']
I think with the syndie shows, they all backtime the theme songs, but reloop on Millionaire and Feud.
[/quote]

Having attended "J!" tapings since they went to inserting the credits in post and noting that the theme now ends cold into the KW/Sony logos, I'm guessing that now they play the theme in full every taping while Alex chats with the players and Kevin McCarthy goes through his cover shot repertoire.  In post, the editor sees how much time he has coming out of the fee plugs and comes in on the closing at approximately that time, with the occasional insert of another shot to cover an awkward transition.  If there's a few seconds to fill at the end, just leave the Sony logo up on screen after the music stops.  Simple.