Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: I'm Coming On Down!  (Read 3162 times)

TheInquisitiveOne

I'm Coming On Down!
« on: March 25, 2007, 11:13:47 PM »
Hello folks! Long time no see!

So, I finally got around to requesting tickets for the May 31 taping of TPIR. I know this has been discussed before, but what should I be prepared for, since it's on the heels of Barker's retirement show?

Also, I looked through the archives and noticed some threads about selling back some items. How is that possible?  I am just curious...even though I am pumped, I know how brutal paying taxes can be.

Plus, is camping overnight recommended/allowed?

Thanks in advance. I apologize to the mods in advance for re-addressing the issue.

The Inquisitive One
This is the Way.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
I'm Coming On Down!
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2007, 11:48:19 PM »
[quote name=\'TheInquisitiveOne\' post=\'149024\' date=\'Mar 25 2007, 08:13 PM\']
Also, I looked through the archives and noticed some threads about selling back some items. How is that possible?  I am just curious...even though I am pumped, I know how brutal paying taxes can be.[/quote]I would imagine it's as simple as a post on Craigslist, or your local classifieds. Really, that's all I can think of; it's not hard to place the ad. It might be a bit harder to unload the piano, jet ski and jukebox that you win in the showcase, though.

Of course, should you get so far, you can always refuse anything you win. That will come up when you sign the ream of forms presented to you after appearing on camera, I'm sure.
Travis L. Eberle

davewalls

I'm Coming On Down!
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2007, 11:55:11 PM »
In regards to camping overnight, I'd recommend it. Back in January '04 for my only trip to Beverly Blvd, I had a room at the Farmer's Daughter hotel, and slept till around midnight, then hopped into line at the gate, where people were already waiting. I'm assuming that this close to Bob's retirement, people will be coming out from the night before. It all depends on how close you want to be to the stage.

Anybody who has been in recent months can probably comment more on how   early the lines are forming.
Dave Walls

http://www.davewalls.net

(insert witty comment about self here)

snowpeck

I'm Coming On Down!
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2007, 02:05:23 AM »
Speaking from personal experience, if you don't camp overnight, you probably won't get in.  The lines are forming around 4pm and by morning are stretched way on down the street.  

Greg
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

tvmitch

I'm Coming On Down!
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2007, 10:25:50 AM »
I said this to another poster who posed a similar question a couple months ago, and it's even more pertinent now that we're closer to Bob retiring:

Think of the earliest time you'd ever think of showing up to get in line for the taping. Got that time? Good. Now show up three hours before that time and bring a cooler of snacks and a comfortable camp chair. There are dozens of people who are quite possibly crazier than you are and will be there before you.

You won't ever regret sitting those extra hours in line, because you'll meet some great people and have a great time. One of the worst feelings in the world for me was planning to see the show for the first time and showing up only to see 500+ people in line. I ended up (barely) getting in, but I had a seat on the stage left side of the studio in the upper corner, so I couldn't see doors 2 and 3.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2007, 10:27:29 AM by mitchgroff »
You should follow me on Twitter

tvwxman

I'm Coming On Down!
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2007, 10:51:24 AM »
Echoing previous sentiments....

There aren't many more surreal things than a man in his 30's who has a wife, a child, a mortgage, and a 401K, choosing to sleep on a sidewalk in Los Angeles, Just. So. He. Can. Pray. at. The. Temple. Of. Bob.

Its fun. It's part of the 'whole' experience of seeing Price. Enjoy it. There , God willing, isn't many other reasons grown men and women choose to spend their evening sleeping on concrete, especially when there's a half decent motel right across the street!
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

Steve Gavazzi

I'm Coming On Down!
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2007, 12:14:57 PM »
[quote name=\'TheInquisitiveOne\' post=\'149024\' date=\'Mar 25 2007, 11:13 PM\']
So, I finally got around to requesting tickets for the May 31 taping of TPIR. I know this has been discussed before, but what should I be prepared for, since it's on the heels of Barker's retirement show?
[/quote]

Well...for one thing, not getting the tickets.

I'm not saying that's definitely gonna happen, but it's a possibility you should keep in mind.  One of my friends from Golden-Road sent for tickets for...hmm, for today, actually, back in January and got a note two weeks ago saying that they'd run out.  The show is so fully booked for so long right now that they haven't even been airing the ticket plug.

Gus

I'm Coming On Down!
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2007, 01:51:35 PM »
[quote name=\'mitchgroff\' post=\'149031\' date=\'Mar 26 2007, 10:25 AM\']
There are dozens of people who are quite possibly crazier than you are and will be there before you.
You won't ever regret sitting those extra hours in line, because you'll meet some great people and have a great time. One of the worst feelings in the world for me was planning to see the show for the first time and showing up only to see 500+ people in line.
[/quote]

Yeah, I took the opposite route when I went in July before GSC... I had literally nothing to do that night after getting off the plane and getting settled in my room, so I took a taxi to the studio and showed up at about 12:30 at night -- #001. By 2:00, there were probably almost 100 people there already, and by 5 or 6, the line stretched around the corner by the Farmer's Market.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
I'm Coming On Down!
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2007, 01:58:14 PM »
[quote name=\'Gus\' post=\'149042\' date=\'Mar 26 2007, 12:51 PM\']
[quote name=\'mitchgroff\' post=\'149031\' date=\'Mar 26 2007, 10:25 AM\']
There are dozens of people who are quite possibly crazier than you are and will be there before you.
You won't ever regret sitting those extra hours in line, because you'll meet some great people and have a great time. One of the worst feelings in the world for me was planning to see the show for the first time and showing up only to see 500+ people in line.
[/quote]

Yeah, I took the opposite route when I went in July before GSC... I had literally nothing to do that night after getting off the plane and getting settled in my room, so I took a taxi to the studio and showed up at about 12:30 at night -- #001. By 2:00, there were probably almost 100 people there already, and by 5 or 6, the line stretched around the corner by the Farmer's Market.
[/quote]
It's an apples-to-oranges comparison, though.  When you went in July (and we joined you a few days later), Barker hadn't announced his retirement.  A 12:30AM arrival these days I don't think nets you a very good seat, if it even gets you one at all.
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Ian Wallis

I'm Coming On Down!
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2007, 04:12:31 PM »
Its fun. It's part of the 'whole' experience of seeing Price. Enjoy it. There , God willing, isn't many other reasons grown men and women choose to spend their evening sleeping on concrete, especially when there's a half decent motel right across the street!

I concur.  When I think back to the taping attended by many members of this forum last summer, I'll definately think of the time spent on the sidewalk - although there was very little sleeping!  It's a memorable experience and is definately worth it.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

TimK2003

I'm Coming On Down!
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2007, 08:47:30 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'149059\' date=\'Mar 26 2007, 04:12 PM\']

I concur.  When I think back to the taping attended by many members of this forum last summer, I'll definately think of the time spent on the sidewalk - although there was very little sleeping!  It's a memorable experience and is definately worth it.
[/quote]

I think the best plan (especially if you are an east-coaster) is to fly into LAX around 11AM the day before the taping.  Pick your hotel and nap til 6 or 8PM.  Then get in line.  Remember, the combination of jet lag and adrenaline will keep you going through the night on the street (jet lag should give you a second wind around 3AM). Nap number 2 happens during the time when you have your number and you can leave the line for a few hours.

TheGameShowGuy

I'm Coming On Down!
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2007, 11:04:44 PM »
The earlier the better...
We stayed at the budget priced yet comfortable Beverly Inn  after TPIR. We went straight from the airport to Fairfax Ave and our 12:30AM arrival in January got us seats 116-120.
BRING COOLERS, AIRBEDS ($10 at Target/ Pump $25) SLEEPING BAGS. Its a long night!
It's a FUN experience ...I never did this for concerts but did it three times for PRICE!

A 10PM arrival for the 35th season opener got me #34 ; two days before that a 12:30 AM arrival got me #14.

Now I hear 4PM the day before is advised.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2007, 11:05:42 PM by TheGameShowGuy »