Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: I'm Dreaming of a cancellation  (Read 2214 times)

tvwxman

I'm Dreaming of a cancellation
« on: March 30, 2007, 09:58:34 AM »
Well, the good news, I guess, is that Donny just became available again for the "Name That Tune" revival....

From Cynopsis.net :
=================
ABC has pulled the plug on Great American Dream Vote and host Donny Osmond after just two episodes. The show debuted last Tuesday after a DAncing with the Stars lead-in provided it with a 4.7 A18-49 lead-in, and Vote fell to a disturbing 1.9. In its regular time period on Wednesday at 8p, it delivered a 1.5 A18-49 rating.  Replacing the hour next Wednesday will be two back-to-back episodes of George Lopez show.  At this point, no decisions have been made for the longer term on what will fill the hour.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

TimK2003

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 10:19:51 AM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'149212\' date=\'Mar 30 2007, 09:58 AM\']
Well, the good news, I guess, is that Donny just became available again for the "Name That Tune" revival....

From Cynopsis.net :
=================
ABC has pulled the plug on Great American Dream Vote and host Donny Osmond after just two episodes. The show debuted last Tuesday after a DAncing with the Stars lead-in provided it with a 4.7 A18-49 lead-in, and Vote fell to a disturbing 1.9. In its regular time period on Wednesday at 8p, it delivered a 1.5 A18-49 rating.  Replacing the hour next Wednesday will be two back-to-back episodes of George Lopez show.  At this point, no decisions have been made for the longer term on what will fill the hour.
[/quote]

Yeah, but it paves the way for Osmond's "triumphant" return to Donnymid in the UK!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2007, 11:54:08 AM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'149212\' date=\'Mar 30 2007, 06:58 AM\']
ABC has pulled the plug on Great American Dream Vote and host Donny Osmond after just two episodes.
[/quote]
And here's a possible reason it tanked: I didn't even know this show EXISTED. And if I didn't know, then Joe Sixpack didn't have a hope in hell of knowing.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2007, 12:07:28 PM »
I knew the show existed, and I tried to watch it, but I only made it ten minutes into the program before I changed the channel. And the only reason I sat through ten minutes is because that's how long it took before they explained how the competition would work.

--
Scott Robinson

DrBear

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2007, 02:45:04 PM »
I saw enough promotion to get the idea - judges decide who gets a metric buttload of money for their dream, whatever it may be. And I think most people saw it as begging, without having to do anything to get the money, which a lot of people think is unAmerican. Even DOND requires you to have to listen to Howie Mandel for the better part of an hour, and that's gotta be worth something.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

uncamark

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2007, 03:51:29 PM »
[quote name=\'DrBear\' post=\'149218\' date=\'Mar 30 2007, 01:45 PM\']
I saw enough promotion to get the idea - judges decide who gets a metric buttload of money for their dream, whatever it may be. And I think most people saw it as begging, without having to do anything to get the money, which a lot of people think is unAmerican. Even DOND requires you to have to listen to Howie Mandel for the better part of an hour, and that's gotta be worth something.
[/quote]

It was promoed at least two or three times during "Dancing" Tuesday night and I'm sure another two or three times Monday night.  Bergeron did the stay-tuned plug at the end and introed Donny from the audience.  From that alone there was a substantial amount of awareness.

I just saw 20 seconds when I turned on the TV Tuesday night and the fact that the appearance of the "American Dream Girl" models was accompanied by cued/sweetened ows and woos (at the 40 minute mark and with the assumption that this was not their first appearance on stage) was enough to turn me off.  Aren't these ABC feel-good reality shows supposed to be aimed at women, anyway?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2007, 03:55:27 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'149219\' date=\'Mar 30 2007, 12:51 PM\']
It was promoed at least two or three times during "Dancing" Tuesday night and I'm sure another two or three times Monday night.  Bergeron did the stay-tuned plug at the end and introed Donny from the audience.  From that alone there was a substantial amount of awareness.
[/quote]
But my point is, if they're depending solely on carryover from Dancing In My Pants for the show to succeed, they're not gonna like how that works out.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

tpirfan28

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2007, 04:03:01 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'149220\' date=\'Mar 30 2007, 03:55 PM\']
But my point is, if they're depending solely on carryover from Dancing In My Pants for the show to succeed, they're not gonna like how that works out.
[/quote]
I know that it's like comparing apples to elephants...but "Are You Smarter..." used the Idol lead-in to jump start the show...and for some ungodly reason, it succeeded.  This "I'm Dreaming..." show used Dancing as a lead in, and when it was thrown into the water by itself, it drowned.

Case in point..."I'm Dreaming..." sucked.

I watched a few minutes of it (I joined the program farther in than Scott did) and it was the lamest thing I've ever seen.  It took me back to (what little bit I've seen of) Queen for a Day.  Except cheesier.  DoND cheesier.  I turned it off three minutes in, after finding out one of the people wanted help to make her daughter become Miss America.  C'mon...

And Lemon, I also didn't realize that the show even existed, until channel surfing onto it.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

uncamark

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2007, 04:29:46 PM »
I will agree that a "Dancing" lead-in is not exactly a guarantee of ratings success--see "Help Me Help You" and (on topic) The Hour of Shat ("Show Me the Money") for further details.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2007, 05:38:32 PM »
I didn't know it was on either, but this whole ratings thing is not a true measure of a potential audience.  Maybe people are willing to wait until it becomes available on YouTube.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2007, 05:43:44 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'149225\' date=\'Mar 30 2007, 02:38 PM\']I didn't know it was on either, but this whole ratings thing is not a true measure of a potential audience.  Maybe people are willing to wait until it becomes available on YouTube.[/quote]Or not. A crap show is still a crap show whether you watch in Glorious Hi-Def, in a flash window on YouTube, or your iPod during a plane ride.
Travis L. Eberle