Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: So You Want To Be A Game Show Host?  (Read 3411 times)

TimK2003

So You Want To Be A Game Show Host?
« on: April 04, 2007, 12:31:35 AM »
Would people think of you as a devious Monty Hall, a serious (or goofy) Alex Trebek, or a jovial Gene Rayburn?

Without any tweaking of your character, wit or charm, which game show host most closely matches your day-to-day persona?  

We're not looking for which host you'd most like to *emulate*, but which person best matches up with your "natural talent".

If you want to take it a step further and say which host resembles you the most by looks, go for it!
« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 12:32:14 AM by TimK2003 »

gsgalaxy82

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007, 01:55:34 AM »
I've always thought I was a little bit like Gene Rayburn. I tend to have a clowning around attitude at work, and people seem to laugh at it. But then, there are times I'm like Alex Trebek. So really, I'm kind of a mixture, haha. About the looks part though, I'd say I'm a lot like Jim Perry. 6'5, dark hair, and skinny (now....a couple years ago....no).

David
« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 01:56:29 AM by gsgalaxy82 »

BrandonFG

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 02:12:18 AM »
I have a dry sense of humor, kinda like Pat Sajak at times.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

MTCesquire

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007, 03:01:03 AM »
Yeah, I always thought that I was a mixture of Pat Sajak, Bob Barker, Alex Trebek, and now Howie Mandel.  I've got Pat's sarcastic, smart-ass type sense of humor, but most times I'm the joker that will say or do something goofy like Howie.  Combine that with Alex's mannerisms, such as how he talks with his hands and clearly annunciates every syllable, along with Bob Barker's way of hyping the most insignificant situation up as the greatest moment in the history of mankind, and you've got me. :)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2007, 03:13:50 AM »
The Inquizitor.

/what?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2007, 08:04:09 AM »
Bob Eubanks.
When there's a couple at the table I'm dealing at...I love to try to stir things up a little bit and take the woman's side.  I also can't help but make a smart remark.

It gets tips, dammit.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2007, 08:45:30 AM »
I've always thought of myself as a mixture of Art James and Gene Rayburn.
Digital Media Producer, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

beatlefreak84

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2007, 08:56:56 AM »
I always thought I was a cross between Pat Sajak and Jim Perry.  Pat because of his sarcastic, dry sense of humor and Jim because of his ability to not only ease the tension in a tough situation, but also because he could have fun and be serious almost at the same time (!).

/That concludes this self-serving post, and now back to the Midnight Movie!  :)

Anthony
You have da Arm-ee and da Leg-ee!

Temptation Dollars:  the only accepted currency for Lots of Love™

The Ol' Guy

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2007, 11:19:50 AM »
Interesting question. Looking back on the shows I've done, the first one with kids, I think I leaned more toward a Bert Parks - keep it moving, upbeat, light. The second one, the category matching game, the Parks side was still there, with more Art James-Jim Lange blended in. Being older and perhaps a bit less patient, if I launched a new one, I'd have to be careful not to let the mean Dawson out if a contestant does something totally dumb. Maybe I wouldn't say what was on my mind, but I'd have to watch out for my tone changing. If you're going to be real instead of playing an MC, you'd have to look at your relational strengths and weaknesses and figure out how to incorporate both into the show so things go at an even keel and contestants/viewers aren't turned off by being too fakey cheery or too sarcastic. All that said, the format of the show would be the best determinant of what you need to be like to make it work.

DrBear

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2007, 02:00:27 PM »
In my dreams: Groucho Marx.
In likely reality: Patrick Wayne.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

HairMetalLives

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2007, 03:31:46 PM »
Kind of a hard question. I'm pretty laid back. I can be serious, but not too serious. I have a habbit of cracking jokes that nobody understands. So I guess a combination of Alex Trebeck, Marc Summers, and a little Wil Shriner.

I do not look like any game show host I've seen; I look more like Oakland Athletics first baseman/outfielder Nick Swisher.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2007, 03:48:46 PM »
I know he's not a host, but I look like Gilbert Gottfried and have the personality of Bert Parks.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

davewalls

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2007, 04:05:34 PM »
Personality wise, I'd go with a mix of Gene Rayburn and Kenny Mayne of 2 Minute Drill "fame".

Looks-wise....a younger, but slightly heavier Noel Edmonds. (Hey, it's better than just saying "Louie Anderson" cause he's the only large game show host I can think of...).
Dave Walls

http://www.davewalls.net

(insert witty comment about self here)

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2007, 07:12:58 PM »
[quote name=\'davewalls\' post=\'149457\' date=\'Apr 4 2007, 04:05 PM\']
Personality wise, I'd go with a mix of Gene Rayburn and Kenny Mayne of 2 Minute Drill "fame".
[/quote]

I claim the same mix. I look like Blaine Capatch after he'd been run over by a truck.
@lambertman

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2007, 07:21:58 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'149439\' date=\'Apr 4 2007, 03:13 AM\']The Inquizitor.[/quote]
You too?  Seriously, sometimes you have to be a sarcastic SOB to get through to today's kids.