Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Wheel in HD  (Read 1467 times)

gameboy2000

Wheel in HD
« on: April 12, 2007, 07:31:41 PM »
We got WVEC in Hi-Def not too long ago and this has been happening with Wheel: Sometimes it is in Hi-Def and sometimes it isn't. This even happens with the same show. Has anybody else had this problem?
gameboy2000.weebly.com

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Wheel in HD
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2007, 08:10:56 PM »
[quote name=\'gameboy2000\' post=\'150066\' date=\'Apr 12 2007, 04:31 PM\']
We got WVEC in Hi-Def not too long ago and this has been happening with Wheel: Sometimes it is in Hi-Def and sometimes it isn't. This even happens with the same show. Has anybody else had this problem?
[/quote]
What do you mean by "with the same show"? Same episode?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Chelsea Thrasher

Wheel in HD
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2007, 08:14:15 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'150069\' date=\'Apr 12 2007, 07:10 PM\']
[quote name=\'gameboy2000\' post=\'150066\' date=\'Apr 12 2007, 04:31 PM\']
[/quote]
What do you mean by "with the same show"? Same episode?
[/quote]

I wouldn't swear to it, but I'm guessing that he's meaning the episode will be broadcasting in HD, then suddenly switch to SD, and occasionally back.  Haven't seen that one very much - I only remember once, right when Letterman first went HD, in a couple of those first episodes the show would come back from commercial in SD, then suddenly switch back to HD midway through a segment.

BrandonFG

Wheel in HD
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2007, 08:22:23 PM »
Interesting coincidence...

Let me talk to someone in master control...I'll see if they can tell me anything.

ETA: More or less, we're still pretty new to the HD stuff, I think we just offered an HD station within the last month or so. The glitches are for the most part because we haven't fully upgraded everything.

Also, there seemed to be a glitch tonight, from what I was told, there was a problem in the third segment, so they edited in the spot from the standard Wheel tape.

/confused yet?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2007, 08:29:51 PM by fostergray82 »
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Wheel in HD
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2007, 09:14:42 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'150072\' date=\'Apr 12 2007, 05:22 PM\']
Interesting coincidence...

Let me talk to someone in master control...I'll see if they can tell me anything.
[/quote]
Would Master have to switch over from feeding an HD signal during, say, commercial breaks? If so, they could forget to switch back.

I know I've seen situations where NBC forgot to switch from SD to HD and as a result the first few minutes of a hockey game that was supposed to be HD, wasn't.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TimK2003

Wheel in HD
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2007, 10:09:29 PM »
At our group of stations, we are still tinkering and fine tuning the HD signal, which occasionally has put audio and video out of sync on both the HD & SD signals, or at least that's what one of our engineers said after I asked them about the out of sync times.

Of course, all these problems will be fixed by Feb 19, 2009 when everybody is required to switch to HD, and everybody has their convertor boxes in place and everybody in the US will be happy and joyous on that day...so says the Federal Government. (snort...giggle...chortle).

trainman

Wheel in HD
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2007, 10:59:31 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'150073\' date=\'Apr 12 2007, 06:14 PM\']Would Master have to switch over from feeding an HD signal during, say, commercial breaks? If so, they could forget to switch back.[/quote]

I think you're correct...I've been watching "Jeopardy!" in HD on my computer on occasion for the last couple of months, and a handful of times, I've seen KABC's broadcast come back from commercials in SD and then "jump" to HD after a second or two.

[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'150076\' date=\'Apr 12 2007, 07:09 PM\']Of course, all these problems will be fixed by Feb 19, 2009 when everybody is required to switch to HD...[/quote]

Everybody is required to switch to digital.  They are perfectly free to broadcast in HD, or in SD, or in a 200-line black-and-white format previously used only to broadcast a rotating Felix the Cat figurine...just as long as they do it digitally.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2007, 11:02:40 PM by trainman »
trainman is a man of trains