Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: American Idol: The Next Twenty-One?  (Read 3468 times)

aaron sica

American Idol: The Next Twenty-One?
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2007, 12:04:14 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'150166\' date=\'Apr 14 2007, 04:50 AM\']
////would hit that so hard her love would shake on its own
[/quote]

You clearly are the winnar of this thread. :)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2007, 11:28:41 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'150155\' date=\'Apr 13 2007, 07:49 PM\']This way, he stays on because the little girls love him, and the show gets tons of extra publicity while the entertainment media work themselves up into a lather about this latest 'controversy'. [/quote]The problem is that American Idol isn't a talent competition. That claim goes out the window as soon as the voting is turned over to the populace. This a vote of "Who do you like best?".  If you were to ask some of these little girls anything about music, your head would probably do something not seen since The Exorcist.

ModMatt is correct. Nothing to see here, move along. </officer barbrady>
If you didn’t create it, it isn’t your content.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2007, 11:07:50 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'150223\' date=\'Apr 14 2007, 11:28 PM\']The problem is that American Idol isn't a talent competition. That claim goes out the window as soon as the voting is turned over to the populace.
[/quote]
I'm not sure how that's a 'problem'.  You're really just talking about a semantic issue.  Lots of 'talent competitions' have relied on the audience to determine a winner all the way back to the days of radio, and probably in stage shows before that.  That's an enormous part of what makes the show successful.  The question of whether the show is taken seriously in the music industry is irrelevant.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

dzinkin

« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2007, 04:03:46 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'150223\' date=\'Apr 14 2007, 11:28 PM\']
If you were to ask some of these little girls anything about music, your head would probably do something not seen since The Exorcist.
[/quote]
Actual exchange from one of the schools where I work -- specifically, in a music class:

TEACHER: Name an Italian tenor.
STUDENT: Leonardo DiCrappio!

Mind you, I don't claim to be an expert on music myself, but still... eek.