Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Penny Ante  (Read 7147 times)

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Penny Ante
« on: April 22, 2007, 04:00:25 PM »
Per Marc Green in this thread, Penny Ante is gone.

Of course, the diehards chimed in with their "intellegent" comments, including this gem:
"This is the wort DAY EVER!!!!!!!!!!!"

Wow.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

dzinkin

Penny Ante
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2007, 04:16:31 PM »
I'm not much for spelling flames, but given the context, this is too good to miss (emphasis mine):

[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'150734\' date=\'Apr 22 2007, 04:00 PM\']
Of course, the diehards chimed in with their "intellegent" comments, including this gem:
[/quote]
Wow indeed.

I don't know what's making you decide that starting fights for the sake of starting fights is a good idea, but since you've been warned and have refused to stop -- never mind the continued general slams against Golden-Road on the basis of individual posters -- welcome to the Isolation Booth.  How long you stay in there is ultimately up to you.

Anyone wishing to discuss Penny Ante and/or its retirement is welcome to reply in this thread.  Comments about Mark's behavior should be directed to Behind the Scenes.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2007, 04:18:20 PM by dzinkin »

Steve Gavazzi

Penny Ante
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2007, 07:46:57 PM »
Honestly, I have no idea why anyone was so surprised that Penny Ante was retired, and I said as much over there.  I mean, seriously...the game hadn't been played in almost five years.  I'm more shocked that Time Is Money still officially isn't retired.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Penny Ante
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2007, 07:54:41 PM »
It's a pity, since Penny Ante was one of the more straight-forward games that tested pricing knowledge, rather than dumb luck. But it's not going to make me lose sleep at night, either.

A serious question; weren't they working on a new prop and new rules for Penny Ante? It seems odd that the crowd would just throw up their hands and say "Screw you guys, I'm going home!" and stop construction.
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Penny Ante
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2007, 08:44:23 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'150751\' date=\'Apr 22 2007, 04:46 PM\']
Honestly, I have no idea why anyone was so surprised that Penny Ante was retired, and I said as much over there.
[/quote]
It was broken, right? (I mean, mechanically.) Seems to me that given the option between coming up with a new quickie game (and with due respect to one of Our Benevolent Moderators, that can't be difficult) and spending time, money, and effort retreading an old warhorse that really took more time than it deserved, you'd go with the fresh and new every time. So you're dead right.
I'm more shocked that Time Is Money still officially isn't retired.
I would imagine that This Game Sucks doesn't even deserve the attention needed to do *that*.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

clemon79

Penny Ante
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2007, 08:45:29 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'150752\' date=\'Apr 22 2007, 04:54 PM\']
A serious question; weren't they working on a new prop and new rules for Penny Ante?
[/quote]
They still can, right? If it's a new prop and new rules, why not give it a new name and introduce it with much fanfare as a new game?

TV Favorites

Penny Ante
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2007, 10:52:35 PM »
I believe the story is that it was decided to retire the game due to the constant malfunctions, so the prop was placed in outside storage.  At some point, someone (Bob?) decided the game should be replaced in the rotation.  By that time, it was too late as it had rained and ruined the Penny Ante prop.

I think it was Bob who wanted the game back in rotation, so I'm assuming since Bob is retiring, the rest of the staff didn't see it necessary to bring it back.

TonicBH

Penny Ante
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2007, 10:57:16 PM »
Good riddance, I guess. And it took them HOW long to decide on that?!

[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'150760\' date=\'Apr 22 2007, 05:45 PM\']
They still can, right? If it's a new prop and new rules, why not give it a new name and introduce it with much fanfare as a new game?
[/quote]

Because they'd complain about its similarities. People did that when Clearance Sale debuted.
You Found a Secret Area: The place where I write about dumb game show and video game stuff occasionally.

clemon79

Penny Ante
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2007, 11:00:47 PM »
[quote name=\'TonicBH\' post=\'150771\' date=\'Apr 22 2007, 07:57 PM\']
Because they'd complain about its similarities. People did that when Clearance Sale debuted.
[/quote]
By "they" do you mean "a statistically-significant amount of the TPiR viewing audience?" Because, if not, then screw what "they" think.

Allstar87

Penny Ante
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2007, 11:25:26 PM »
[quote name=\'TonicBH\' post=\'150771\' date=\'Apr 22 2007, 10:57 PM\']
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'150760\' date=\'Apr 22 2007, 05:45 PM\']
[/quote]

[/quote]

True, but the game CS is similar to is still being played. Since Penny Ante's now out of the rotation, there might be less complaining.

Truthfully, I thought Time Is Money would be dropped before Penny Ante. But ob-la-di, ob-la-da, life goes on.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2007, 11:28:17 PM by Allstar87 »

Steve Gavazzi

Penny Ante
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2007, 11:36:22 PM »
Just to be clear, there were never any new rules planned for Penny Ante -- just a new board.

Robert Hutchinson

Penny Ante
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2007, 01:22:22 AM »
I think, even if one looks just at the hardcore fans, most of the appeal of Penny Ante was the board. (It was certainly what I found mildly interesting.)

And I still say that Hi-(Mid-)Lo Switcheroo was a good idea packaged poorly.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

tvmitch

Penny Ante
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2007, 01:17:42 PM »
On a slightly unrelated note, now that Penny Ante is officially retired, I think that Identity could use the reveal from the game.

"Number 6 is my Pretzel Chef."

*contestant hits button, lights go from contestant podia up to the number of the stranger*
You should follow me on Twitter

clemon79

Penny Ante
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2007, 01:24:28 PM »
[quote name=\'mitchgroff\' post=\'150796\' date=\'Apr 23 2007, 10:17 AM\']
*contestant hits button, lights go from contestant podia up to the number of the stranger*
[/quote]
That would actually look really slick, especially if there was a Jackpot-style layout of numbers near the contestant. :)

davemackey

Penny Ante
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2007, 01:59:28 PM »
It's was opined in the g-r.net chat this morning that perhaps the number of pricing games is being cut back - some temporarily, some permanently - to give the new host less of a headache in learning All Those Games.