Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hosts Attire  (Read 3498 times)

Ian Wallis

Hosts Attire
« on: April 22, 2007, 05:51:14 PM »
It was brought up briefly in another thread, but do you like the fact that hosts such as Jeff, Bob, Howie, etc. are dressing more casually these days, or do you prefer them to be wearing ties?

Personally, I'd prefer old school by having hosts always in a suit - but that's just me.

I know that they wear the same thing every show for editing purposes - obviously the games aren't always aired in the order they were taped.  That was particularly evident on the April 20th Identity, where part way through the show, the experts changed; but you'd figure after they taped a bunch of shows they could at least get a new outfit for the host for the next taping session!  :)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2007, 05:51:53 PM by Ian Wallis »
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

BrandonFG

Hosts Attire
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2007, 06:05:26 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'150742\' date=\'Apr 22 2007, 05:51 PM\']
It was brought up briefly in another thread, but do you like the fact that hosts such as Jeff, Bob, Howie, etc. are dressing more casually these days, or do you prefer them to be wearing ties?

Personally, I'd prefer old school by having hosts always in a suit - but that's just me.

I know that they wear the same thing every show for editing purposes - obviously the games aren't always aired in the order they were taped.  That was particularly evident on the April 20th Identity, where part way through the show, the experts changed; but you'd figure after they taped a bunch of shows they could at least get a new outfit for the host for the next taping session!  :)
[/quote]
I don't mind the open collar, when it's not every single host wearing it every single day. At least in the 70s, when hosts wore leisure suits, it was every so often.

Besides, I thought the open collar went out of style in 2003? ;-)
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

narzo

Hosts Attire
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2007, 08:00:32 PM »
Some of the best advice I was ever given by a former boss regarding dressing for tv was "You will never offend anyone in the audience by dressing in a full suit.  You will upset some part of the audience by not dressing appropriately."

We are guests in the viewers home, look your best.

Casey

Hosts Attire
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2007, 08:32:07 PM »
[quote name=\'narzo\' post=\'150753\' date=\'Apr 22 2007, 07:00 PM\']
We are guests in the viewers home, look your best.
[/quote]
If only that applied to the contestants....

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Hosts Attire
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2007, 08:46:37 PM »
As long as the hosts wear pants, I'm pretty much content.

"Good evening. I'm Regis Philbin, and I'm not wearing any pants."
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Jimmy Owen

Hosts Attire
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2007, 08:47:32 PM »
I'd prefer jacket and tie, unless it's a kid's show.  No bowling shirts.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Hosts Attire
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2007, 10:04:13 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'150762\' date=\'Apr 22 2007, 07:46 PM\']
As long as the hosts wear pants, I'm pretty much content.

"Good evening. I'm Regis Philbin, and I'm not wearing any pants."
[/quote]
Why do I have this David Letterman flashback all of a sudden?

/My name is Lawrence Grossman, the president of NBC News. . .
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Neumms

Hosts Attire
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2007, 03:50:08 PM »
One of the many ways WWTBAM was a landmark is how they actually considered the host's wardrobe and made it part of the look of the show.

Dylan Lane is one for the open collar, but his trouble is that he looks like his mom bought his lone sportcoat at Penney's.

uncamark

Hosts Attire
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2007, 05:25:40 PM »
Depends on the show and the host.  Casual wear becomes some hosts more than others.  And the show sometimes doesn't really call for a suit and tie.

As for "Identity"'s sloppiness on different panels, not that surprising, considering that they expect the viewers to think that all those whoos and ows that accompany every shot of an attractive woman are real, even if they sound the same every time (and do they expect us to think that the audiences are still going to be whooping like that when those people have been standing in full view of the audience for an hour or more?).

Jay Temple

Hosts Attire
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2007, 12:18:16 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'150762\' date=\'Apr 22 2007, 07:46 PM\']
As long as the hosts wear pants, I'm pretty much content.[/quote]
Agreed, although I would have made an exception for Dog Eat Dog.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

pyl85

Hosts Attire
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2007, 02:55:15 AM »
No question, suit and tie. Not to mention looking more professional, on any show where contestants have the chance to win some serious dough, make the host look like someone who's in a position to award that kind of prize.

Clay Zambo

Hosts Attire
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2007, 08:14:13 AM »
[quote name=\'pyl85\' post=\'150856\' date=\'Apr 24 2007, 02:55 AM\']
No question, suit and tie. Not to mention looking more professional, on any show where contestants have the chance to win some serious dough, make the host look like someone who's in a position to award that kind of prize.
[/quote]

See Convy, Bert: "...get all ten words in sixty seconds and I'll give you..."

(Always thought that sounded odd, since it wasn't Bert's money.  Now, Ben Stein was a different matter...)
czambo@mac.com

davemackey

Hosts Attire
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2007, 09:12:01 AM »
[quote name=\'Clay Zambo\' post=\'150859\' date=\'Apr 24 2007, 07:14 AM\']See Convy, Bert: "...get all ten words in sixty seconds and I'll give you..."
[/quote]
"...this slightly used jacket with wrinkled-up sleeves!"

Jimmy Owen

Hosts Attire
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2007, 09:53:51 AM »
[quote name=\'Clay Zambo\' post=\'150859\' date=\'Apr 24 2007, 08:14 AM\']

(Always thought that sounded odd, since it wasn't Bert's money.  Now, Ben Stein was a different matter...)
[/quote]

On WLoD or 3rdD, that would have been okay...
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Neumms

Hosts Attire
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2007, 12:50:08 PM »
[quote name=\'Clay Zambo\' post=\'150859\' date=\'Apr 24 2007, 07:14 AM\']

[/quote]

On Pyramid, Donny did it, too, and it bugged the hell out of me. And there was the way he stood inside the winners' circle and they made the big show of it when he walked around the railing so he could say "go" on camera. And there was the way he'd chit chat with the celebrities between rounds of game play, rather than before or between the games. And, and, and. But Donny was one who could actually pull off the jacket and blouse look.