Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: ITV, BBC to join Channel 4 in online push  (Read 1120 times)

tvmitch

ITV, BBC to join Channel 4 in online push
« on: May 08, 2007, 01:47:33 PM »
Just received an article from MultiChannel through email - I can't link to it and can't find it on their website - that reads that ITV and BBC will join Channel 4 in offering their regular TV programs in live and on-demand formats to UK residents. (What I wouldn't give for access!). C4 has had their online player since December.

A short quote from the article since I can't link to it:
Broadcasters in the United Kingdom reached an important milestone in their online strategy last week as ITV announced plans to invest £20 million ($40 million) in a revamped Web site that will soon feature extensive video, while the BBC Trust approved the public broadcaster’s plans to launch an iPlayer that will make most programming from its TV channels and radio services available online in November.

During a press conference announcing ITV’s online push, executive chairman Michael Grade noted, “ITV is a mass-market broadcaster and broadband is now a mass-market phenomena,” with 50% penetration in the U.K.

The revamped ITV.com Web site, which will relaunch in a few weeks, will include live streaming of ITV’s channels, a 30-day “catch-up” service that allows viewers to see shows they’ve missed, news programming, content from ITV’s programming library going back to the 1950s, exclusive Web-only programming, user-generated content and broadband games. Most of the content will be ad-supported. About 40 online content editors and multimedia producers have been hired to run the site.
You should follow me on Twitter

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 01:50:36 PM »
[quote name=\'mitchgroff\' post=\'151777\' date=\'May 8 2007, 10:47 AM\']
Just received an article from MultiChannel through email - I can't link to it and can't find it on their website - that reads that ITV and BBC will join Channel 4 in offering their regular TV programs in live and on-demand formats to UK residents. (What I wouldn't give for access!).
[/quote]
Which means it's checking IP's to make sure that the user is in the UK.

Spoofing a UK IP isn't that hard. Hell, I think I can just tell my router "tell them this is my IP."
« Last Edit: May 08, 2007, 01:51:33 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Jimmy_1

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2007, 08:16:11 PM »
You can download podcasts of some BBC shows, such as the Sir Alan Sugar version of The Apprentice.