Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: More new GS games coming soon  (Read 464078 times)

chad1m

More new GS games coming soon
« Reply #1290 on: August 12, 2010, 08:32:41 PM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' post=\'245823\' date=\'Aug 12 2010, 07:07 PM\']Are you defending their choice with regards to Miis?[/quote]Since I don't own any of their games on the Wii, I have no concern in that area so what they do and do not do on that system, I don't care. I'm more concerned with the PC and, for the games that get ported there, PlayStation3 versions.
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'245825\' date=\'Aug 12 2010, 07:59 PM\']No, he's distancing himself from an opinion that might not be rah-rah-yay-this-will-be-so-awesome.[/quote]Ludia has put out four games based on game shows. From my consumer standpoint, I have enjoyed three of them. (The fourth was obviously marred by the terrible board setup.) After they are reviewed, I'm more than willing to buy more of their games assuming they replicate the quality the majority of the products reflect and I have confidence that will be achieved. It's obvious that you've looked down on these people from your high horse for a long time, and that's all fine and dandy. But I find it unnecessary for you to come and slam them every time they're mentioned in a thread.
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'245825\' date=\'Aug 12 2010, 07:59 PM\']My nose remains fully skin-covered. :)[/quote]Not surprising, considering how high in the air it is.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 08:35:07 PM by chad1m »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #1291 on: August 12, 2010, 08:49:55 PM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'245831\' date=\'Aug 12 2010, 05:32 PM\']]Ludia has put out four games based on game shows. From my consumer standpoint, I have enjoyed three of them. (The fourth was obviously marred by the terrible board setup.) After they are reviewed, I'm more than willing to buy more of their games assuming they replicate the quality the majority of the products reflect and I have confidence that will be achieved.[/quote]
All I can say to all of this (besides "Wow.") is that you are precisely their target audience, and that I hope you and Ludia enjoy a long, happy life together.
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'245831\' date=\'Aug 12 2010, 05:32 PM\']Not surprising, considering how high in the air it is.[/quote]
At least where mine is, it doesn't smell like shiat.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 08:52:35 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

« Reply #1292 on: August 12, 2010, 08:51:49 PM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'245831\' date=\'Aug 12 2010, 08:32 PM\']Ludia has put out four games based on game shows. From my consumer standpoint, I have enjoyed three of them. (The fourth was obviously marred by the terrible board setup.) After they are reviewed, I'm more than willing to buy more of their games assuming they replicate the quality the majority of the products reflect and I have confidence that will be achieved. It's obvious that you've looked down on these people from your high horse for a long time, and that's all fine and dandy. But I find it unnecessary for you to come and slam them every time they're mentioned in a thread.[/quote]
That's where the phrase "your mileage may vary" comes into play. Chris, having software experience, probably knows a good game when he sees it. Not to say you don't, but given the screenshots Ludia's put out for some games, I could understand why Chris has disdain for the company, esp. when they've consistently shown that they cut corners on their work.

And it's perfectly fine if you like the games, no one's holding that against you. However, to get defensive with Chris doesn't do anything for your stance.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

chad1m

« Reply #1293 on: August 12, 2010, 09:03:36 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'245833\' date=\'Aug 12 2010, 08:51 PM\']Chris, having software experience, probably knows a good game when he sees it.[/quote]I'm legitimately curious as to how many of the Ludia game show games Lemon has played.
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'245833\' date=\'Aug 12 2010, 08:51 PM\']And it's perfectly fine if you like the games, no one's holding that against you.[/quote]Could have fooled me.
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'245833\' date=\'Aug 12 2010, 08:51 PM\']However, to get defensive with Chris doesn't do anything for your stance.[/quote]During my time here, he's made it perfectly clear he's more concerned with snarking it up and cutting people down than having a rational discussion and I tire of being on the other side. I can either grin and bear it or try to fight back.
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'245832\' date=\'Aug 12 2010, 08:49 PM\']you are precisely their target audience, and that I hope you and Ludia enjoy a long, happy life together.[/quote]I am someone who doesn't feel the need to nitpick the crap out of something and am perfectly happy with a faithful recreation of a game without needing to worry about technical minutae. The game looks good, it plays well and is a replication of the product on TV. That's all I care about.
I know, from looking at them, that I have no interest in the Twilight movies. But I'm not going to go around every time someone mentions it and say "Ohhhh my God do those suck, why would anyone ever like it?"
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 09:03:59 PM by chad1m »

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #1294 on: August 12, 2010, 09:27:07 PM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'245835\' date=\'Aug 12 2010, 06:03 PM\']I am someone who doesn't feel the need to nitpick the crap out of something and am perfectly happy with a faithful recreation of a game without needing to worry about technical minutae.[/quote]

Technical minutae is one thing. A mistake like having a Fast Money question show up in the main game on their Feud title is another. Considering Gametek was able to separate the two question types in the early 90s, I'm let down as a consumer that that's in a final product in 2010.

It reminds of that Classroom Jeopardy device (AKA Host Your Own Jeopardy) that sells for around $300-$400. I found out that the Daily Doubles are randomly placed by the program. A huge tenet of the game is changed because they couldn't bother to figure it out. If one can create their own material, how hard would it be for that same person to designate the Daily Doubles? I'm not going to shrug and enjoy spending $300 when I can't execute the game properly. Similarly, if we're at home with that Feud title, and I have to explain why I got the "name a month" question and they didn't ("the programmers were lazy, ma"), it makes ME look bad as the guy who corralled everybody to play a game show title.

For the record, I own both Ludia TPIR games. They are tremendous fun for me and the family, despite imperfections that still leave me puzzled/disappointed (4 grocery items?). And I'm leaving out that I can't even use the 2nd edition title as a multiplayer title in my own home. With that, the game should pretty much get a failing grade.

-Jason
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 09:29:46 PM by JasonA1 »
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

tvmitch

« Reply #1295 on: August 12, 2010, 09:41:32 PM »
The Ludia games are just not "well done." I do not expect a Madden level of perfection from the Ludia games because the budget for a Press Your Luck game is a fraction of a percent of the big title. Every recent Ludia game just has the laziest mistakes. Lazy, unforgivable mistakes that would not have cost the company one extra dollar to correct.

So when the company has a track record of laziness, there's less anticipation behind a new release, because we all know the product won't be good.
You should follow me on Twitter

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #1296 on: August 12, 2010, 09:41:55 PM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'245835\' date=\'Aug 12 2010, 06:03 PM\']During my time here, he's made it perfectly clear he's more concerned with snarking it up and cutting people down than having a rational discussion and I tire of being on the other side. I can either grin and bear it or try to fight back.[/quote]There's a difference between rational discussion and having people agree with you. In all your time on "the other side," have you ever once made a concession to one of his points, or really internalized it and tried to see where he's coming from? (Not the least of which is that of "works in the industry being discussed")

If Ludia is able to convince you to give them some little green bits of paper in exchange for some software, that's your dollar. But there are issues here that have been enumerated where I say, "I do not feel like subsidizing your piss-poor work ethic". So I don't.
If you didn’t create it, it isn’t your content.

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #1297 on: August 12, 2010, 10:49:13 PM »
[quote name=\'tvmitch\' post=\'245837\' date=\'Aug 12 2010, 08:41 PM\']Every recent Ludia game just has the laziest mistakes. Lazy, unforgivable mistakes that would not have cost the company one extra dollar to correct.[/quote]
Sure, Gametek got it right in the 1980s/90s, but I'll do you one better. I remember discussing when PYL came out that Curt King did a more faithful version than that ON A BUDGET OF ZERO DOLLARS. Basic mistakes like a slide set with no whammies on it....nobody in programming or testing thought "Well, where's the risk if there's a constant pattern with no whammies on the board"?

Everytime Ludia has released a game, it looks pretty, but it's like reading a term paper that makes a strong argument, yet is full of fragments and run ons. There's a whole backlog of tapes and Youtube videos at their disposal, as well as input from two forums who want to see a good game made (as crazy as some members of either/or may be).

I'm rooting for them because up until then, game show games other than Wheel and Jeopardy! really weren't getting many releases, but they're starting to shoot themselves in the foot here.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

clemon79

« Reply #1298 on: August 12, 2010, 10:55:58 PM »
[quote name=\'Jeremy Nelson\' post=\'245840\' date=\'Aug 12 2010, 07:49 PM\']Sure, Gametek got it right in the 1980s/90s,[/quote]
And I'll add one thing to this: in said late '80s and '90s, for as ok of a job as GameTek did, there was this company called Sharedata that did the games before *them* who did an even *better* job.

J.R.

« Reply #1299 on: August 12, 2010, 11:07:48 PM »
Out of curiosity. When did GameTek dissolve? What was their last game show release?

Just curious, thanks. :)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 11:09:38 PM by J.R. »
-Joe Raygor

clemon79

« Reply #1300 on: August 12, 2010, 11:13:10 PM »
[quote name=\'J.R.\' post=\'245842\' date=\'Aug 12 2010, 08:07 PM\']Out of curiosity. When did GameTek dissolve? What was their last game show release?[/quote]
Per Wiki, at least for the first part:
GameTek filed for bankruptcy in 1997 and closed in July 1998. Some of the company's assets were acquired by Take 2 Interactive in 1997.
Per MobyGames (which corroborates the above-mentioned Wiki information), their last release was the N64 version of Jeopardy.

/I'll be damned, I'm in the Braid credits. There's irony for you.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 11:17:48 PM by clemon79 »

BrandonFG

« Reply #1301 on: August 12, 2010, 11:16:53 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'245841\' date=\'Aug 12 2010, 10:55 PM\'][quote name=\'Jeremy Nelson\' post=\'245840\' date=\'Aug 12 2010, 07:49 PM\']Sure, Gametek got it right in the 1980s/90s,[/quote]
And I'll add one thing to this: in said late '80s and '90s, for as ok of a job as GameTek did, there was this company called Sharedata that did the games before *them* who did an even *better* job.
[/quote]
Thanks for the blast from the past. I had a few of their games for the C64. Played them on end for hours as a kid. I don't think I ever saw repeating material, and for the limited technology of the era, the graphics were great...although I question their version of the big Feud board. ;-)

The only thing I never liked was on Sharedata's Wheel bonus round, you only had one shot at the puzzle...you typed it in wrong, tough cookies.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 11:24:49 PM by fostergray82 »
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

J.R.

« Reply #1302 on: August 12, 2010, 11:17:59 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'245843\' date=\'Aug 12 2010, 10:13 PM\']Per MobyGames (which corroborates the above-mentioned Wiki information), their last release was the N64 version of Jeopardy.[/quote]
Curiosity satisfied. Thank you. :)
-Joe Raygor

clemon79

« Reply #1303 on: August 12, 2010, 11:21:48 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'245844\' date=\'Aug 12 2010, 08:16 PM\']Thanks for the blast from the past. I had a few of their games for the C64. Played them on end for hours as a kid. I don't think I ever saw repeating material,[/quote]
Oh, I did. I got the first version of Jeopardy! on a Friday, and I'd played through the whole thing by the end of the weekend.
and for the limited technology of the era, the graphics were great...although I question their version of the big Feud board. ;-)
Oh, the graphics were questionable :) (Of course, I was playing these on an Apple.) The thing that got me (at least with J!) was the fuzzy logic regarding spelling errors - for the era, that was unheard of.

clemon79

« Reply #1304 on: August 12, 2010, 11:33:45 PM »
[quote name=\'tvmitch\' post=\'245837\' date=\'Aug 12 2010, 06:41 PM\']So when the company has a track record of laziness, there's less anticipation behind a new release, because we all know the product won't be good.[/quote]
I didn't see this before, but I'm gonna speak to this, because I think it's an unfair characterization.

Does Ludia have a track record for laziness and cutting corners? Yes. But I have a problem with "we all know the product won't be good." I don't know that. They might pull their head out at some point, start paying attention to QA, and stop paying lip service to the folks who are genuinely trying to help them with their products. Said rectalcraniectomy might even happen with these upcoming releases. I honestly don't know and I'll be the first person to stand up and congratulate them and wish them every success if that turns out to be the case.

But I *don't* know that "the product won't be good." Their track record has simply been such that in my eye they forfeit the benefit of the doubt that it *will* be.