Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: More new GS games coming soon  (Read 464042 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
More new GS games coming soon
« Reply #1425 on: November 02, 2010, 01:25:51 AM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'250073\' date=\'Nov 1 2010, 09:46 PM\']So, on the endcap with a bright red price tag on it? :)[/quote]
Do you actually think Ludia pays for endcap placement? :)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 01:26:03 AM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

bwood

« Reply #1426 on: November 02, 2010, 04:57:32 AM »
It actually did have a red tag on it! Except this red tag was "Buy 2 Get One Free", lol. No kidding.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 04:59:08 AM by bwood »

Mr. Armadillo

« Reply #1427 on: November 02, 2010, 10:35:40 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'250075\' date=\'Nov 2 2010, 12:25 AM\'][quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'250073\' date=\'Nov 1 2010, 09:46 PM\']So, on the endcap with a bright red price tag on it? :)[/quote]
Do you actually think Ludia pays for endcap placement? :)
[/quote]
I don't think you have to pay to get on the "75% off because no one buys this crap!" endcap.  :)

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #1428 on: November 02, 2010, 02:43:05 PM »
The lovely GameStop associate told me today that Minute to Win It for the Wii won't be released until Thursday.  (Please!  No riots, people!)

I have the three new games for the Wii (Race, Wheel, J!) in hand and will give them a try later this afternoon.

Hastin

« Reply #1429 on: November 03, 2010, 12:56:33 AM »
So THQ nailed a fun Wheel of Fortune experience. Its very true to show.

Plusses:

Miis supported, and show is very Mii like. Record audio for your Mii when things go good/bad.
Good Wheel physics. Most games mess this up, but this one is very show like.
Rounds, sounds effects and all the rules are in there. Even Prize Puzzles!
Heck, pat even lands close to 5k on most "final spins".
Multiplayer games have fun mini games (Guess and Solve, High/Low, and a previous contestant Bonus Round guess) during commercial breaks, that award prizes.
Lots of unlocks, including sets, clothes, and even concept art.
Also, even Charlie (RIP) and Vanna get some audio.

Minuses:
Pats audio is choppy due to sanding to combine phrases, like Yes, there are 4/Ts/On the Board.
Wii has crappy graphics, but the game can't fix that.

Wii Speak:
It works great for actions "Spin", and solving puzzles. However, it's only okay for calling letters. If it's unsure of what you said, you get a menu of possible choices.

It's well done, and a good buy. Much better than the PS3 version.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 01:01:40 AM by Hastin »
-Hastin :)

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #1430 on: November 03, 2010, 10:30:10 AM »
Now that I had a chance to play it after getting surprised by finding my Wii's A/V cables were one of my cat's chew toys...

Hastin nailed it.  This is VERY true to show.

Charlie gets quite a bit of audio--introducing Pat and Vanna, the Jackpot round, the Mystery round, the featured prize, etc.  The theme of my first show was Hollywood, with the giant red carpet to the stage left of the board.  Probably by no coincidence, the theme of this week's episodes is the same, with the red carpet.

For the Wii, I thought the graphics were above average.  Maybe I'm easy to satisfy.

I thought the Mii recreations of the people who worked on the game was a different touch, definitely something different from the usual credit roll.

And from the WTF dept.:  65 seconds to solve the bonus puzzle?  Was a flat minute not long enough?

Hastin

« Reply #1431 on: November 03, 2010, 12:52:31 PM »
[quote name=\'MikeK\' post=\'250180\' date=\'Nov 3 2010, 07:30 AM\']And from the WTF dept.:  65 seconds to solve the bonus puzzle?  Was a flat minute not long enough?[/quote]

Time to solve is dependent on the Difficultly level you choose (or you can do 'Custom', and then change the time difficulty and other options).

I got through my first game of Jeopardy! last night, but I'm not quite ready to post a review of it - I want to get through another game. There's one major fail though, if you want Wii Speak with J!, you HAVE to use Multiple Choice. Otherwise, you can set it to Easy (Multiple Choice Answers), Medium (Must type 3 letters before Autocorrect options come up), or Expert (must type 5 letters before autocorrect options come up). So far, we've had the most fun with the using the custom sounds for Happy/Sad. Very satisfying to here yourself shout "F**K!" when you get a answer wrong.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #1432 on: November 03, 2010, 01:35:46 PM »
[quote name=\'MikeK\' post=\'250180\' date=\'Nov 3 2010, 07:30 AM\']I thought the Mii recreations of the people who worked on the game was a different touch, definitely something different from the usual credit roll.[/quote]
At my old office at Microsoft, we had nameplates outside of our cubicles / offices that had our name, our Xbox LIVE gamertag, and a picture of our avatar. This just reminded me of that.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #1433 on: November 03, 2010, 04:11:12 PM »
Here's my thoughts on Jeopardy! for the Wii...

Positives, many of which are similar to Wheel of Fortune:
Mii support, including audio support as Hastin mentioned earlier.
The pacing is similar to that of the show.  A full game took almost precisely 30 minutes.
Clue difficulty isn't far off from the show, at least on a medium-difficulty game.
Unlockables through mini-games, though there don't appear to be as many as on Wheel.
The response input is similar to the CD-i game for medium or hard difficulty, as Hastin mentioned.
Not necessarily a positive, but the credits are similar to those on WoF, with the credit roll on the left side of the screen and Miis of the staffers on the right.

Negatives:
Final Jeopardy! is multiple choice, with each answer related to a direction on the directional pad.
Mini-games are available in multi-player games only.  I need to find a friend. :-(
Typing in the answers can lead to possible confusion.  WhammyPower788 told me he typed in "WASHINGTON" for an answer about George Washington, but was declared wrong.  There are separate entries for the state and the President, with his first name.  Also, if you type in the last name first, your response will appear as "Who is WASHINGTON GEORGE?"

Ludia could learn a thing or 50 from THQ about how to do a home game.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 04:40:17 PM by MikeK »

Hastin

« Reply #1434 on: November 03, 2010, 04:27:31 PM »
[quote name=\'MikeK\' post=\'250196\' date=\'Nov 3 2010, 01:11 PM\']Ludia could learn a thing or 50 from THQ about how to do a home game.[/quote]

It just feels like a real videogame game by real videogame designers. Time was taken to use specific Wii features, and thought was put in to keep people engaged for more than just one off show. The gimmick is not a stupid avatar system, it's the game itself. I want to keep playing to unlock all the prizes, sets, and things that actually add to the game. The show was used as source material, and they wanted to make a true-to-show experience.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 07:22:14 PM by Hastin »

RyanCDN

« Reply #1435 on: November 04, 2010, 10:54:25 AM »
[quote name=\'Hastin\' post=\'250198\' date=\'Nov 3 2010, 03:27 PM\'][quote name=\'MikeK\' post=\'250196\' date=\'Nov 3 2010, 01:11 PM\']Ludia could learn a thing or 50 from THQ about how to do a home game.[/quote]

It just feels like a real videogame game by real videogame designers. Time was taken to use specific Wii features, and thought was put in to keep people engaged for more than just one off show. The gimmick is not a stupid avatar system, it's the game itself. I want to keep playing to unlock all the prizes, sets, and things that actually add to the game. The show was used as source material, and they wanted to make a true-to-show experience.
[/quote]

By the sounds of it, the THQ games are *WORTH* the money, as opposed to the Ubicrap/Ludia games.
Ryan
“I’ll give away a Zed.”

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #1436 on: November 04, 2010, 01:43:34 PM »
[quote name=\'RyanCDN\' post=\'250246\' date=\'Nov 4 2010, 09:54 AM\'][quote name=\'Hastin\' post=\'250198\' date=\'Nov 3 2010, 03:27 PM\'][quote name=\'MikeK\' post=\'250196\' date=\'Nov 3 2010, 01:11 PM\']Ludia could learn a thing or 50 from THQ about how to do a home game.[/quote]

[/quote]

By the sounds of it, the THQ games are *WORTH* the money, as opposed to the Ubicrap/Ludia games.
[/quote]
What really made me happy about Wheel was that the gameplay itself is treated like the real show. Pat's avatar does come over to your podium after you solve a puzzle, and even goes over to console the losers after the main game is over. They even cut to breaks like the show. They got a lot little nuances like that right- things that I appreciate, especially since there are Pat and Vanna avatars, not just FMV sequences. These are actually the little things that game reviewers dock points from when they review game show games- that the game, for the most part, is there, but the presentation doesn't make you feel like you're actually part of the show.

You can tell that a lot of work went into making this game good. As far as presentation, this is the best Wheel game out there, by far. I'm glad to hear that by getting clarification on letters it doesn't distinguish, WiiSpeak doesn't screw you over.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 01:45:41 PM by Jeremy Nelson »
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

tpirfan28

« Reply #1437 on: November 04, 2010, 01:50:55 PM »
[quote name=\'Hastin\' post=\'250187\' date=\'Nov 3 2010, 12:52 PM\']So far, we've had the most fun with the using the custom sounds for Happy/Sad. Very satisfying to here yourself shout "F**K!" when you get a answer wrong.[/quote]
Wait, what?  You can record your own voice and use them in game?
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

Hastin

« Reply #1438 on: November 04, 2010, 01:53:30 PM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'250250\' date=\'Nov 4 2010, 10:50 AM\']Wait, what?  You can record your own voice and use them in game?[/quote]

Yea, you can record a sound for when you're happy or sad about something happening. (On both Wheel and J!)

You'll need a WiiSpeak to record the audio.

uncleplinko

« Reply #1439 on: November 05, 2010, 12:37:06 AM »
[quote name=\'RyanCDN\' post=\'250246\' date=\'Nov 4 2010, 09:54 AM\'][quote name=\'Hastin\' post=\'250198\' date=\'Nov 3 2010, 03:27 PM\'][quote name=\'MikeK\' post=\'250196\' date=\'Nov 3 2010, 01:11 PM\']Ludia could learn a thing or 50 from THQ about how to do a home game.[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Not only is it worth the money, it's worth SAVING $10 to buy Wheel over Price ($30, vs. $40 for Price at Target).  We don't have WiiSpeak, so we just used the on-screen keyboard.  Gave it a classic NES feel, honestly.  I will say, though, that Pat's voice-overs are...odd.
HomeGameEntertainment.com
"Bringing The Contestant Experience Home"