Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: More new GS games coming soon  (Read 464363 times)

comicus

More new GS games coming soon
« Reply #285 on: January 18, 2008, 12:00:22 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'175343\' date=\'Jan 17 2008, 11:37 PM\']
[quote name=\'CountdownRound\' post=\'175341\' date=\'Jan 17 2008, 08:34 PM\']
Clearly we are.
[/quote]
Indeed. By your definition, since all arcade games (okay, 99.9%, I'm sure there are a few that don't) have difficulty settings that are adjustable transparent to the user, they're all rigged, right? I just want to make sure I understand.
[/quote]
By that obtuse definition, yes.  The key difference is that the skill level of the player affects the outcome of an arcade game.  No amount of talent on the users part (aside from ability to hack the machine) will influence the payout of a slot machine, or, I suspect, the payout on the DoND arcade game.

When I say "rigged," I mean rigged in the respect that the ratio of high ticket payouts per game played is programmed into the device.  That is to say, it is not random.  Even you can appreciate this, I think.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #286 on: January 18, 2008, 12:08:43 AM »
[quote name=\'CountdownRound\' post=\'175347\' date=\'Jan 17 2008, 09:00 PM\']
By that obtuse definition, yes.  The key difference is that the skill level of the player affects the outcome of an arcade game.[/quote]
Well, how obtuse is it? When I drop a quarter into a game, especially one I am familiar with, I am expecting to receive a certain amount of entertainment for my quarter. If the game is set at a ridiculously high difficulty, I don't get the experience I was expecting.

I grant that it's not quite the same, but I don't think it's nearly as unrelated as you do, either.
When I say "rigged," I mean rigged in the respect that the ratio of high ticket payouts per game played is programmed into the device.  That is to say, it is not random.  Even you can appreciate this, I think.
I agree that this is the case. I do not agree that that's "rigging," however. And as it happens, by and large, dictionary.com agrees with me. (Note the usage of "dishonestly" and "fraudulently" there.)

But this discussion isn't going to have any kind of useful outcome, so best to move on, I think.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #287 on: January 18, 2008, 12:14:03 AM »
[quote name=\'CountdownRound\' post=\'175339\' date=\'Jan 17 2008, 11:24 PM\']
Anything with predetermined, pre-programmed odds can be called rigged.  [/quote]
When I roll a pair of dice, I know the odds of them coming up snake eyes.  That does not make the dice rigged.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

comicus

« Reply #288 on: January 18, 2008, 12:20:57 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'175348\' date=\'Jan 18 2008, 12:08 AM\']
[quote name=\'CountdownRound\' post=\'175347\' date=\'Jan 17 2008, 09:00 PM\']
When I say "rigged," I mean rigged in the respect that the ratio of high ticket payouts per game played is programmed into the device.  That is to say, it is not random.  Even you can appreciate this, I think.[/quote]
I agree that this is the case. I do not agree that that's "rigging," however. And as it happens, by and large, dictionary.com agrees with me. (Note the usage of "dishonestly" and "fraudulently" there.)
[/quote]
Fair enough; we seem to be pretty much on the same page now.  I maintain that the average player of the DoND arcade game will approach the machine expecting it to be as "beatable" as the television show, then walk away sorely disappointed after clearing out the entire right column within the first two rounds of each of their games.  Granted, this won't happen every time, but it's apparent to an observer of the machine in action that "large" payouts are programmed to be rare.  Given the completely random nature of the television show (as random as Standards and Practices can ensure, anyway), one could argue that there's a small amount of deception to be found.  Then again, maybe they're all just suckers who are getting what's coming to them, eh?

clemon79

« Reply #289 on: January 18, 2008, 12:39:28 AM »
[quote name=\'CountdownRound\' post=\'175351\' date=\'Jan 17 2008, 09:20 PM\']
Fair enough; we seem to be pretty much on the same page now.  I maintain that the average player of the DoND arcade game will approach the machine expecting it to be as "beatable" as the television show, then walk away sorely disappointed after clearing out the entire right column within the first two rounds of each of their games.[/quote]
This is actually a very good point, and easily tested: I'd be very interested in seeing the statistics (Like, real numbers, not "I get the feeling"s.) of a day's worth of games, and the results of, say, the first five or seven picks of each game. (I've never seen one in the wild; I have no idea how many cases get picked in the first two rounds.) Not the bank offers, just the cases picked. Because if the game is "fair", meaning that the dollar amounts are assigned to the cases before the game starts, as it is on TV, over a large number of trials that should average out such that every amount comes up pretty much evenly, right? If that's *not* the case, if indeed there is a discrepancy in favor of the high amounts coming out more often, then, yeah, I totally see your point.

I guess I always figured that the difficulty would be set on that to make the bank offers themselves tight or loose, or that the money tree could be jiggered, both of which I have absolutely no problem with. If the actual playing out of the cases is affected by operator settings, then, yeah, that absolutely constitutes rigging. (Or at LEAST, deceptive advertising.)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 01:35:37 PM by clemon79 »

ShoeHorn

« Reply #290 on: January 18, 2008, 01:31:45 AM »
[quote name=\'alfonzos\' post=\'175260\' date=\'Jan 17 2008, 05:30 PM\']
Spotted at Walgreen's, DoND DVD with a sticker that says, "Enchanced Gameplay." I wonder what that means.
[/quote]

The "enhanced" gameplay is that the case selection screen shows 4 cases at a time instead of the original dvd. The original had you scroll through every...case...one...at...a...time until you found another to choose unless you just went in order.

I picked up the Secret Vault Games one. Not too bad. You get surprisingly more replay value with the 20 or so games.

The NBC mini games were included on all the original CD-Rom versions. You just enter some code on the main screen and then they're unlocked. I did not know that's all you had to do when I shelled out the extra cash buying it online when no-one had it in my area.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #291 on: January 18, 2008, 04:22:42 PM »
[quote name=\'ShoeHorn\' post=\'175362\' date=\'Jan 18 2008, 01:31 AM\']I picked up the Secret Vault Games one. Not too bad. [/quote]As a note, I saw this on clearance at Target yesterday for $9.99.  It was also the first time I had seen the game on the rack.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Bob Zager

« Reply #292 on: January 29, 2008, 01:33:54 PM »
Here's a link showing the forthcoming JakksPacific AYSTA5G? Plug & Play game, which is shaped like an apple:

http://jakks.com/construct.php?section=toy...mp;page=ces2008

The website boardgames.com has a listing of games "coming soon," most of which say just that, and don't show illustrations yet.  Among the listings are Merv Griffin's Crosswords DVD game, as well as a game based on Don't Forget the Lyrics!  For any Trivial Pursuit fans (like me), they list two new editions--a "Choice" edition, as well as a "25th Anniversary" edition!

A few sources mention the PC version of Merv Griffin's Crosswords may be available by next week!

Bob Zager

« Reply #293 on: February 05, 2008, 05:38:57 PM »
Here are couple of links with some additional information/illustrations of a couple of forthcoming games:

First is about "ESPN Jeopardy!":

http://www.toydirectory.com/monthly/compre...rchtype=product

Next is about the new 2nd edition DVD of TPIR (apparently featuring Drew Carey):

http://www.toydirectory.com/monthly/compre...rchtype=product

Here is a link to some up-to-date information about EG's TPIR "Grab 'n Go" game, from "uncleplinko," himself (scroll down toward the bottom when linked):

http://www.golden-road.net/index.php?topic...g75200#msg75200

BTW--Many websites have been listing today as the release date for the PC game version of Merv Griffin's Crosswords, but it doesn't appear to have happened.  Hopefully, just delayed like many other games!

clemon79

« Reply #294 on: February 05, 2008, 06:31:00 PM »
Second Edition comes out and WHAMMO!!! Instant hit. Travis, I can really say that there are VERY few places that I have seen copies of your game for sale at its original price.
Me neither. I think I paid nine bucks for mine on clearance.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 06:31:41 PM by clemon79 »

uncamark

« Reply #295 on: February 06, 2008, 01:03:32 PM »
[quote name=\'Bob Zager\' post=\'177209\' date=\'Feb 5 2008, 04:38 PM\']
Here are couple of links with some additional information/illustrations of a couple of forthcoming games:

First is about "ESPN Jeopardy!":

http://www.toydirectory.com/monthly/compre...rchtype=product[/quote]

ESPN Jeopardy! has electronic lockouts and "an ESPN-themed Final Jeopardy! timer."  Does that mean that it plays the "SportsCenter" theme instead of the usual think music?

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #296 on: February 07, 2008, 05:33:25 PM »
[quote name=\'Bob Zager\' post=\'176585\' date=\'Jan 29 2008, 01:33 PM\']A few sources mention the PC version of Merv Griffin's Crosswords may be available by next week![/quote]
GameStop has it shipping on March 17.

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #297 on: February 13, 2008, 08:25:54 PM »
Amazon's page for the DS version of 1 vs. 100 has box art and a price of $19.99.  The down side?  Destination Software.  The release date is May 30.

Additionally, DSI's 1 vs. 100 page touts 4 additional versions of game play.

alfonzos

« Reply #298 on: February 15, 2008, 03:39:11 PM »
Someone dumped dozens, maybe hundreds, of the 1 vs. 100 electronic game. I've been seeing them on the shelves of Goodwill Stores in the Los Angeles area. The prices vary from eleven dollars to twenty dollars.
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

Bob Zager

« Reply #299 on: February 19, 2008, 07:49:32 PM »
Well, tomorrow is the last day of the annual Toy Fair in New York, and so far I've seen reports, press releases, etc.; mentioning the following to come this year:

HASBRO:

Merv Griffin's Crosswords (board game--approx. $15.99, Fall 2008)
Don't Forget the Lyrics (board game--approx. $19.99, Fall 2008)
Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader--2nd edition (board game--approx. $19.99, Fall 2008)

No new info on MGC-DVD game

ENDLESS GAMES:

The Price is Right 2nd DVD edition (July 2008, approx $24.99)

Family Feud Deluxe 4th edition (August 2008, approx. $19.99)

Apparently, "Grab 'N Go" versions of TPIR, Family Feud, Newlywed Game, Password, and maybe $100,000 Pyramid are planned for May 2008.  Strangely, they are also releasing a "card game" based on Wheel of Fortune, unless that's a mistake.

Pressman will be releasing the ESPN Jeopardy! in traditional board game, as well as a "travel friendly attache cased" version.

No other information, nor illustrations are available at this time, but I'll keep things up-to-date.