Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: More new GS games coming soon  (Read 464277 times)

Hastin

More new GS games coming soon
« Reply #555 on: August 26, 2008, 04:41:39 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'195234\' date=\'Aug 26 2008, 01:37 PM\']
Is there going to be any difference from the retail and PC Download versions, any added content? Because a little bird told me that MSN Games might be having a sale over the long weekend that would beat that price...
[/quote]

There will be. More contestant characters and higher-quality videos. The PC version ships on DVD, so those might be full-quality clips. Plus, the DVD version features a single player "on the show" mode - not available in the download. (All this information came from the G-R Ludia posters.)
-Hastin :)

The Ol' Guy

« Reply #556 on: August 27, 2008, 09:46:31 PM »
Has anyone chimed in lately on the box version of MG Crosswords? Bought it last week. Pretty much what you'd expect for the price. Laminated game board w/crayon (same layout for all games), 3 decks of game cards - easy, medium, hard - each card in a deck has it's specific location on the board, such as "15 across." Each card has 20 clues. What you do is determine which number game you are playing - for example, if you're playing game #6 with the easy deck, you read clue number six each time a card is drawn. You go through the whole deck in each game. The only really cheesy part is that each player takes their choice of a colored laminated card that serves as your signal device. When you want to answer, you toss your card toward the center of the board. That might work ok if you're playing the spoiler version, but I'd just as soon have clickers or some other device for all non-spoiler players. Over all, very workable. And yes - I'll have to put the new Endless MDP on the birthday list. It looks absolutely fantastic!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #557 on: August 27, 2008, 09:53:25 PM »
[quote name=\'The Ol' Guy\' post=\'195370\' date=\'Aug 27 2008, 06:46 PM\']The only really cheesy part is that each player takes their choice of a colored laminated card that serves as your signal device. When you want to answer, you toss your card toward the center of the board. That might work ok if you're playing the spoiler version, but I'd just as soon have clickers or some other device for all non-spoiler players.[/quote]Except when you have a bunch of players on two tiers, it'll be hard enough to figure out who signaled first, let alone first and second, and then among the different classifications. By using cards in a bowl, the rule from Twitch works: The bowl never lies. If your card is at the bottom of the pile, you get to go first. (The 1970s versions of Sale of the Century had a similar thing where the players would signal their intent to answer by tossing a tiddly wink into a plastic container.)
If you didn’t create it, it isn’t your content.

The Ol' Guy

« Reply #558 on: August 27, 2008, 10:12:23 PM »
Yes, that's why I think it's tacky. If one player gives his card a good snap and it's airborne longer than it takes another player to just plunk his on the board, who should get the chance to answer - the one who tossed first or the one whose card landed first? Just don't like it. Not to mention the potential for smudging and smearing the material written on the game board. But, hey - everybody's trying to cut costs.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #559 on: August 28, 2008, 02:02:40 AM »
There's a party game called Take Your Best Shot where the questions are all multiple choice, in red, yellow, and (I think) blue. Everyone gets a set of plastic balls according to their player number (Player 1 takes the 1-balls, for example) and you toss 'em in a funnel, basically, to answer. The earliest right answers get the most points, and yeah, sometimes someone swirls around and someone goes straight down and gets credit ahead of the guy who actually answered first, and that's fine.

Ya just have to accept that they're not gonna put a lockout system in the box at that price point, and it is what it is.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BobVersion1

« Reply #560 on: September 02, 2008, 11:21:48 AM »
Has anyone tried the new Press your luck hand held game or the Password Handheld game? If so, where did you find it?

jukeboxhero

« Reply #561 on: September 02, 2008, 12:52:46 PM »
Just thought you'd like to know, I spotted the handheld Press Your Luck, and Password games at Meijer (Midwestern store) yesterday. $14.99 each. Password game is styled after the old version, and both games are the same small size as the Itoys handheld Family Feud.

Bob Zager

« Reply #562 on: September 03, 2008, 10:27:18 AM »
[quote name=\'jukeboxhero\' post=\'195838\' date=\'Sep 2 2008, 12:52 PM\']
Just thought you'd like to know, I spotted the handheld Press Your Luck, and Password games at Meijer (Midwestern store) yesterday. $14.99 each. Password game is styled after the old version, and both games are the same small size as the Itoys handheld Family Feud.
[/quote]
After reading this, I stopped in my local Meijer store, and saw both games.  

On the Password game package, the little television graphic in the bottom left corner, shows a "snowy," screen, and the phrase, "Plays like the show," instead of showing a photo of Allen Ludden.

The Press Your Luck game shows the LCD screen looking more like the "letterbox," effect of widescreen television broadcasts, and in the upper and lower black borders is nine boxes each, showing either dollar signs, the word "Prize," "Big Bucks," or a Whammy.  I noticed one box showed "$$" which makes me think it may be like the "Double Your $$," space on the show.  Really different from the prototypes shown on Amazon.com

I"d also seen Techno Source's tabletop electronic AYSTAFG game.  The design is similar to IToys 1 VS 100 tabletop, with a standup board, and a wireless remote control (which looks like a chalkboard eraser).  The category grid shown on the illuminating LCD screen is just like that on their handheld version.  Up to four people can play at the same time.  BTW, the price was $29.99!

Also while at Meijer, I noticed next to the Family Feud and DOND DVD games from Imagination Games, an open spot, which I was hoping was reserved for their Lingo DVD game.  Nope, it was for a different DVD game from them, based on America's Funniest Home Videos (darn!)

bscripps

• Button-Pushing Monkey
« Reply #563 on: September 03, 2008, 12:39:41 PM »
[quote name=\'Bob Zager\' post=\'195963\' date=\'Sep 3 2008, 10:27 AM\']
Nope, it was for a different DVD game from them, based on America's Funniest Home Videos (darn!)
[/quote]
Rules: Players toss the DVD remote from one person to another.  First player to "accidentally" throw the DVD remote into another player's crotch wins.
Ben Scripps. Professional button-pushing monkey.

tvwxman

« Reply #564 on: September 06, 2008, 09:10:04 AM »
[quote name=\'jukeboxhero\' post=\'195838\' date=\'Sep 2 2008, 12:52 PM\']
[/quote]
Been meaning to mention this for a while now.

IToys has released Password in both forms, Classic and MDP....the LCD game is exactly the same, but the packaging is different.

One of them has a slowly rotting corpse on the packaging promoting the game, and the other has Allen Ludden.

/Kidding about Allen..he's not on the Classic package.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 09:10:42 AM by tvwxman »
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

Bob Zager

« Reply #565 on: September 06, 2008, 09:28:15 AM »
Toysrus.com is now showing a new AYSTAFG card game--Disney edition, for $12.99!  Here's what it looks like:

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3183059

A couple of different sources indicate that a similar game, with an ESPN theme, is also coming soon!

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #566 on: September 06, 2008, 11:39:06 AM »
[quote name=\'Bob Zager\' post=\'196222\' date=\'Sep 6 2008, 09:28 AM\']Toysrus.com is now showing a new AYSTAFG card game--Disney edition, for $12.99!  Here's what it looks like:

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3183059

A couple of different sources indicate that a similar game, with an ESPN theme, is also coming soon![/quote]
ESPN 5th Grader?  Would this be the type of question we'll see in the 2nd Grade Mathematics stack:

"Jimmy has 2 balls and Johnny has 2 balls.  Combined, how many balls do they have?"

That's also a 2nd Grade Math question in the Spice Network version of 5th Grader.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #567 on: September 06, 2008, 12:25:29 PM »
[quote name=\'MikeK\' post=\'196234\' date=\'Sep 6 2008, 10:39 AM\']"Jimmy has 2 balls and Johnny has 2 balls.  Combined, how many balls do they have?"[/quote]After their visit to Neverland; none.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

BillCullen1

« Reply #568 on: September 06, 2008, 02:05:18 PM »
[quote name='tvwxman' date='Sep 6 2008, 09:10 AM' post='196221']
[quote name='jukeboxhero' post='195838' date='Sep 2 2008, 12:52 PM']

IToys has released Password in both forms, Classic and MDP....the LCD game is exactly the same, but the packaging is different.

One of them has a slowly rotting corpse on the packaging promoting the game, and the other has Allen Ludden.  [/quote]

Kathie Lee would probably have a good laugh over that,

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #569 on: September 10, 2008, 12:52:50 AM »
iWin.com released a new version of Are You Smarter than a 5th Grader. It has numerous game modes, and the graphics are better than the ones in the previous release/CD Rom version.

PROS
-Game uses the lighting and camera angles the show does, so it feels more like a broadcast, right down to the intro.
-Ability to ask the class their specialty subjects

MEH
-The voice acting- It's there, and it could be much better, but it's better than none at all.
-Multiple choice questions (You only type in the answer to the MDQ). Would it have been so hard to make typing answers an option?

CONS
-Jeff Foxworthy's voice work. It's not bad, but it's annoying. Since there's no commercial break to cut to, he does his commercial break inflections when telling you if there's a right or wrong answer (That question IS....incorrect!).

Overall, much better than the last release. It's worth checking out the trial if you have an extra hour on your hands.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.