Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: More new GS games coming soon  (Read 464184 times)

MikeK

• Martha!
More new GS games coming soon
« Reply #855 on: June 06, 2009, 09:32:42 AM »
[quote name=\'bwood\' post=\'217320\' date=\'Jun 5 2009, 08:47 PM\']Can't wait for PYL personally. If they were smart they would throw in some sort of "Big Red Button".[/quote]
As quasi-realistic as that would be, what usefulness would a big red button have outside of PYL for the Wii?  At least the big buttoned controller for the XBox 360 can be used with multiple titles--both Scene It! games and Are You Smarter than a 5th Grader? come to mind immediately.  Surely that controller would work with 1 vs. 100 as well, even though the order of the buttons on the big button controller don't match the left-to-right order of the selection buttons for 1 vs. 100.

bwood

« Reply #856 on: June 06, 2009, 11:06:09 AM »
[quote name=\'MikeK\' post=\'217338\' date=\'Jun 6 2009, 09:32 AM\'][quote name=\'bwood\' post=\'217320\' date=\'Jun 5 2009, 08:47 PM\']Can't wait for PYL personally. If they were smart they would throw in some sort of "Big Red Button".[/quote]
As quasi-realistic as that would be, what usefulness would a big red button have outside of PYL for the Wii?  At least the big buttoned controller for the XBox 360 can be used with multiple titles--both Scene It! games and Are You Smarter than a 5th Grader? come to mind immediately.  Surely that controller would work with 1 vs. 100 as well, even though the order of the buttons on the big button controller don't match the left-to-right order of the selection buttons for 1 vs. 100.
[/quote]

I just think it would be something neat, not a bad selling point, and might actually make the game stand out. Look at it as a special controller specifically for the game. It doesn't even have to be anything fancy, maybe slap a PYL logo on it, and do something that's tied in to a button function that stops the board that can plug into the GC or USB Port. There's already a few useless "peripherals" made for the Wii, what's one more? Joe Plinko Gamer can look at the game and say "Oh Yeah Press Your Luck the show with the Whammies I remember that one". And just walk away. Package that with a button and he might say "....I remember that one, and it has the cool red button that's pretty neat", and he might actually pay the $40 for it because you get something a little extra and it adds to the realistic/fun factor. While the game may be appealing to all of us and the "casual gaming party crowd", a lot of people are going to see this game and think the price is a ripoff for all that you get. I heard many say it about the TPiR game.

Another selling point would be online play, but we won't get into that..... :p

With Feud, maybe they could give you some kind of Wii Keyboard (useless peripheral right now pretty much) support option , for those who have it, and maybe do some kind of lockout system with that.....
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 11:22:27 AM by bwood »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #857 on: June 06, 2009, 02:39:25 PM »
[quote name=\'MikeK\' post=\'217338\' date=\'Jun 6 2009, 06:32 AM\']Surely that controller would work with 1 vs. 100 as well, even though the order of the buttons on the big button controller don't match the left-to-right order of the selection buttons for 1 vs. 100.[/quote]
Yes, the Big Button Pad works with 1 vs. 100. It would further not surprise me if the game changed the selection button order if it detected you were using them, but I don't know that for sure.
[quote name=\'bwood\' post=\'217342\' date=\'Jun 6 2009, 08:06 AM\']There's already a few useless "peripherals" made for the Wii, what's one more?[/quote]
This is an absolutely ridiculous argument. "A whole lot of other people have made crap, so why shouldn't I?" BECAUSE IT'S CRAP.

(And it doesn't even need to be electronic. Make a shell you stick the WiiMote into. But it's still crap.)
Package that with a button and he might say "....I remember that one, and it has the cool red button that's pretty neat", and he might actually pay the $40 for it because you get something a little extra and it adds to the realistic/fun factor.
Except if you're adding manufacturing expense to the game (and trust me, Ludia is NOT an outfit that is interested in things like "manufacturing expense"), it's now $50 instead of $40. Does your device sell enough extra copies of the game to cover the sales you've lost with the $10 price hike? (Hint: No. This is an audience that bitched about a brilliant game like Boom Blox being $50. Of course, EA would have been fine if they'd stuck Mario or Link in there somewhere. OMG MARIO TAKE MY CHECKBOOK)
While the game may be appealing to all of us
Please don't speak for me.
With Feud, maybe they could give you some kind of Wii Keyboard (useless peripheral right now pretty much)
"Useless peripheral?" I'm not sure how adding USB keyboard support for no additional charge aside from having a USB keyboard lying around is "useless." Now, if you were fool enough to go out and buy a keyboard that touted itself as OMG WORKS WITH WII for three times the price of a straight USB keyboard, I can see you saying that. I can also see you as someone who bought Anubis II.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 02:49:30 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #858 on: June 06, 2009, 03:06:31 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'217345\' date=\'Jun 6 2009, 02:39 PM\']...a brilliant game like Boom Blox...[/quote]
What the distinguished representative from Washington State said.  (Target has Boom Blox Bash Party on sale for $30, ending today.  Get it now.  The original Boom Blox is a great game.  The sequel, surprisingly, is even better.)

Related to the current topic, if I think about it, I'll try a big button controller on 1 vs. 100 tonight.  8 PM Eastern.  Be there...or don't.

bwood

« Reply #859 on: June 06, 2009, 03:09:50 PM »
I'm not speaking for you. At all. You say that every time someone says "us" and it gets old. That's not what I meant. Maybe I should have worded that as "..some of us". I said all of "us" as game show fans. But whatever.

I'm saying the Wii Keyboard is useless because there is really nothing that it is functional for right now unless you have the Internet Channel or one of the few other things that support it. Plus, I don't think your standard run of the mill USB keyboard works on the Wii, does it? I read on multiple sources that it didn't, something to do with drivers. The one I tried did not work at least and I have latest update. I assume that the direct "Plug N Play" models would work though.

I'm not saying "OMG THIS MUST HAVE ALL OF THIS OR I WILL NOT BUY IT!!!!!111" that's not where I'm going with this. I was just bringing up some things that would make it more authentic and maybe more of an original product in the market. I know it would cost extra money that would not be a smart business move. Will they do it? No, but speculation is not a bad thing.

I forgot that you know everything about everything and everyone else is just people for you to look down on and criticize. I'm not stupid and I'm not a fanboi so don't put me out to be that I am. I don't understand why everything has to be a fight with you. I have a lot of respect for you Chris and you often share some useful insight and information but I get sick of the "everyone has bad ideas but me" schtick.

"Now, if you were fool enough to go out and buy a keyboard that touted itself as OMG WORKS WITH WII for three times the price of a straight USB keyboard, I can see you saying that. I can also see you as someone who bought Anubis II"

You, sir, do not know me. So you don't speak for me. I don't own that game, nor do I know what it is or care to know.

Going back on topic, the game(s) look pretty sweet so far and I'm glad they are coming out with these.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 03:25:42 PM by bwood »

clemon79

« Reply #860 on: June 06, 2009, 03:36:01 PM »
[quote name=\'bwood\' post=\'217348\' date=\'Jun 6 2009, 12:09 PM\']I'm not speaking for you. At all. You say that every time someone says "us" and it gets old.[/quote]
What can I say. I keep holding out hope that you'll learn.
I said all of "us" as game show fans.
Guess not.
I'm saying the Wii Keyboard is useless because there is really nothing that it is functional for right now unless you have the Internet Channel or one of the few other things that support it.
Like...the messaging client built into every single Wii?
Plus, I don't think your standard run of the mill USB keyboard works on the Wii, does it?
Works like a champ, has for a couple years now.
I read on multiple sources that it didn't, something to do with drivers.
I'd love to see those sources.
The one I tried did not work at least and I have latest update.
I question that. Seriously. Either something's wrong with your Wii or your keyboard isn't as standard as you think.
Will they do it? No, but speculation is not a bad thing.
Not a bad thing, no, but a waste of time when it's based on of a serious lack of understanding about the economics of the situation.
I'm not stupid and I'm not a fanboi so don't put me out to be that I am.
Never did I suggest you were a fanboi.
You, sir, do not know me. So you don't speak for me. I don't own that game, nor do I know what it is or care to know.
If you did *not* purchase a Special Wii-Compatible Keyboard At Three Times The Price, then that comment was not directed at you, and I apologize if you misinterpreted it.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 03:42:23 PM by clemon79 »

bwood

« Reply #861 on: June 06, 2009, 03:46:20 PM »
I know you never called me a "fanboi" but I was just nipping that in the bud so it wouldn't be thought that I was a fanboi because I suggested a buzzer for a PYL game. Plus, the point still stands that I am far from stupid....you inferred it even though you never said it directly. I understand a lot more than you think, and simple economics is one of those things. All I was saying was basically "It would be cool if.......".

Honestly, I don't get into playing the Wii a whole lot anymore and it's probably been a few years since I've tried the keyboard (just a USB from my Dell PC). I will check it out sometime. I've never used any kind of chat client on there, the only real thing I use online is MarioKart and occasionally Guitar Hero. Their online stuff is so screwy as far as friend codes, chat, etc. that I don't get too deep in it. They have a lot of potential but it is executed poorly. Their whole online thing just ticks me off.

I'm not going any further off topic and getting into having to explain everything I say and have said, what I've read and where I've read it. I just don't have the time. You win again sir. Go about your regularly scheduled criticizing.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 03:53:27 PM by bwood »

dazztardly

« Reply #862 on: June 06, 2009, 04:43:50 PM »
Hell, I sold my Wii a year ago. The only thing I played on it, were old NES games. The newer games that were out at the time, did nothing but try my patience or make me motion sick. hahaha

-Dan

clemon79

« Reply #863 on: June 06, 2009, 07:14:03 PM »
[quote name=\'bwood\' post=\'217350\' date=\'Jun 6 2009, 12:46 PM\']I was just nipping that in the bud so it wouldn't be thought that I was a fanboi because I suggested a buzzer for a PYL game.[/quote]
Nor was I disagreeing that it would be cool. Except your original argument didn't stop at "it would be cool", it went on to suggest it as a selling point and cited the existence of plastic golf clubs and tennis racquets as rationale for doing it.

Would I be more likely to buy the game if it didn't change the MSRP at all and included some kind of a Big Red Button shell? Sure, probably. But that's not how the world works, much to both of our chagrins.

But to your (now) base point of "hey, it would be cool": yes, I agree. It would be cool.

NickS

« Reply #864 on: June 06, 2009, 08:08:49 PM »
Two things:

Yes, it's nitpicky, bwood, but Chris has a point: You do probably need to define "us" because the context might not involve everyone that you think it does (and usually with Chris *ducks*).

What concerns me more is that the flickr-posted image has a board that, if they're trying to "recreate" the game, is incorrect in principle.  I know it's probably a beta but if it's leaning towards the final product, Pick-a-Corner could be PYL 2010's Big Bucks space. :P

TalkingHeadsFan

« Reply #865 on: June 13, 2009, 12:31:35 PM »
Here's some gameplay video from both Price is Right 2010 and Press Your Luck 2010. Interesting Big Board configurations...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dStBVdb3pfs

-Douglas

bwood

« Reply #866 on: June 13, 2009, 12:41:34 PM »
[quote name=\'TalkingHeadsFan\' post=\'217989\' date=\'Jun 13 2009, 12:31 PM\']Here's some gameplay video from both Price is Right 2010 and Press Your Luck 2010. Interesting Big Board configurations...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dStBVdb3pfs

-Douglas[/quote]

Over at g-r a programmer named JC (who designed the configurations) read people's complaints about the Big Board config (mostly about the placement of Big Bucks and its cash square) and alluded to may having just enough time to go in and correct a few things. We'll see what happens.

/Add this girl from the video to the list of those who think the Showcase is the "Showcase Showdown".

Bob Zager

« Reply #867 on: June 16, 2009, 07:33:54 PM »
Click the following link to see what Jakks Pacific's new TPIR Plug 'N Play game looks like out of the package (or at least a prototype):

http://www.amazon.com/TV-Games-Price-Right...924&sr=8-13

NickS

« Reply #868 on: June 17, 2009, 12:21:04 AM »
[quote name=\'Bob Zager\' post=\'218184\' date=\'Jun 16 2009, 06:33 PM\']Click the following link to see what Jakks Pacific's new TPIR Plug 'N Play game looks like out of the package (or at least a prototype):

http://www.amazon.com/TV-Games-Price-Right...924&sr=8-13[/quote]

And when you're done using it - it makes a great foot massager, too!

bwood

« Reply #869 on: June 18, 2009, 02:11:00 AM »
[quote name=\'TalkingHeadsFan\' post=\'217989\' date=\'Jun 13 2009, 12:31 PM\']......Interesting Big Board configurations.......[/quote]

Regarding the PYL Video Game, JC from Ludia has posted over at g-r that he did, in fact, go back in and make the board layouts true to the show so that is not an issue anymore.