Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Future of Temptation Australia  (Read 3488 times)

BMaurice06

Future of Temptation Australia
« on: June 08, 2007, 10:47:52 PM »
I read an article from Australia hinting that amid impending financial cutbacks it may be curtains for many Nine Network shows, including Temptation.  Can anyone guess what might happen next?  I'd hate to see Temptation go just as the American version is getting ready to go on the air.

Here's the link:

Channel Nine's Show Shuffle

BrandonFG

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2007, 10:51:57 PM »
Doesn't "Temptation" get good ratings? I'd be surprised if another network doesn't pick it up.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

itiparanoid13

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2007, 11:00:09 PM »
I'm glad someone posted this.  I recently read in an article that 1 VS 100 host Eddie McGuire is rumored to be in talks to host something in Temptation's old time slot.  I'll look for the article.

Edit: Ah, here we go.  Here's the article.  If you'd rather not sift through the entire thing, the quote in full:

While his new role at the embattled network is yet to be determined, the 1 vs 100 host denied he would front a new weeknight program to replace quiz show Temptation.

"I don't know anything about that," he said. "I don't know. Ask who's running the network. I am but a humble host these days. That's all I do.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2007, 11:03:27 PM by itiparanoid13 »

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2007, 01:03:06 AM »
Wasn't Seven doing well overall?  It seems weird that the owners would want to blow up a successful network, but then there's baseball's Florida Marlins.

ObGameShow:  The 1980 Phillies and Royals were on Family Feud for a week.  The 2007 Phillies and Royals play a 3-game series this weekend in KC
This signature is currently under construction.

jdhernandez

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2007, 05:45:36 AM »
Seven is still doing immensely well, as far as I've heard. Deal or No Deal is still drawing big ratings, as well as the Seven News immediately following The Deal. Plus, just last week, Bert's Family Feud saw its final show air, and now being replaced by the Antiques Roadshow for the time being. I think one of the few shows on Nine that is actually doing well is Logie Award winning, "What's Good For You?" in primetime.

Seven has Deal, Home & Away, and some #1 seasonal program called "Dancing with the Stars." Yeah, they will be just fine.
-Jason Hernandez; aka "Dimples"

Tomarken: "...somebody else could do this job!"

Rod Roddy: "Yes, I'm afraid that's true."

~Rod making a joke after Peter complains that it's Labor Day and he shouldn't be working on Press Your Luck.

Sodboy13

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2007, 09:39:48 AM »
Geez, I really hope this rumo(u)r and speculation regarding Temptation turns out to be nothing more than that.  It's definitely my favorite current regularly-running game show (with UK's Poker Face running as a once/twice annually "event" - it's pretty much a dead heat between those two overall.)  If the new folks at Nine get all hack-and-slash, then just cut Temptation outright and give it the chance to hop to another network.  Don't just severely restrict the prize budget and make the show die slowly and painfully.

Yes, yes, I know it's coming to the States (though as Alex noted at Buzzer recently, there's been next to no news about the show since the announcement of Rossi Moreale as host.)  But I can't help but have a bad feeling about our forthcoming version.  I sincerely hope I'm proven wrong in that regard.

/"Once we get past the funny pop-culture questions..."
//*shudder*
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2007, 02:07:26 PM »
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'154769\' date=\'Jun 8 2007, 10:03 PM\']
Wasn't Seven doing well overall?  It seems weird that the owners would want to blow up a successful network, but then there's baseball's Florida Marlins.
[/quote]
Um, the article is about Nine Network.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Clay Zambo

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2007, 07:00:18 PM »
[quote name=\'Sodboy13\' post=\'154785\' date=\'Jun 9 2007, 09:39 AM\']
/"Once we get past the funny pop-culture questions..."
//*shudder*
[/quote]

They will be funny pop-culture questions, I have been assured.  But I believe that they will in fact be funny.  It may not be the Temptation we'd hope for, at least at the start, but it will be well-written.

And who knows...it could easily get smartened up, un-gimmicked, and be terrific.
czambo@mac.com

beatlefreak84

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2007, 07:19:13 PM »
And who knows...it could easily get smartened up, un-gimmicked, and be terrific.

That's exactly what I was thinking.  After all, didn't Jeopardy! initially start out as a show played for laughs as people tried to awkwardly phrase responses in the form of a question?  Then, not too long after, it became the serious hard quiz we all know and love.

Regardless, I am looking very forward to Temptation finally coming state-side, "funny" pop-culture questions or not!  With this and Crosswords, this should be a very fun fall season for game shows...:)

Anthony
You have da Arm-ee and da Leg-ee!

Temptation Dollars:  the only accepted currency for Lots of Love™

BrandonFG

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2007, 07:50:41 PM »
[quote name=\'beatlefreak84\' post=\'154814\' date=\'Jun 9 2007, 07:19 PM\']
That's exactly what I was thinking.  After all, didn't Jeopardy! initially start out as a show played for laughs as people tried to awkwardly phrase responses in the form of a question?  Then, not too long after, it became the serious hard quiz we all know and love.
[/quote]
Honestly, I don't know why the idea of pop-culture questions is sending off so many red flags here (not Anthony or Clay, but I've seen others). First, that description, IIRC, didn't come from Fremantle, but another site advertising the fall 07 syndication lineup. Besides, the 80s version used a lot of pop-culture questions as well, some of which was topical, and now dated 20-something years later.

I'm more concerned with how Rossi will do. I'm actually one of the few optimistic ones.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Sodboy13

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2007, 12:47:05 PM »
[quote name=\'Clay Zambo\' post=\'154813\' date=\'Jun 9 2007, 06:00 PM\']
They will be funny pop-culture questions, I have been assured.  But I believe that they will in fact be funny.  It may not be the Temptation we'd hope for, at least at the start, but it will be well-written.
[/quote]

The level of humor isn't what concerns me.  It's the fact that the questions are going for laughs, which I think would tend to undermine the meat of Temptation: a rapid-fire quizzer.  If you're trying to be funny, each question requires a longer set-up, and most likely a bit of wrap-up following the question.  You can't tear through a string of questions in 60 seconds if you're trying to play each one up for chuckles.  If you're going for the ha-ha, put all the cleverness and snark you want into the show three times each episode, during the Fame Game.  Otherwise, I can't see "funny questions" leading anywhere but quite a departure from the format I know and love.  I'm still really looking forward to this one, though, and I hope all my hesitancy and doubt proves itself unfounded when the show comes to air.

[/quote]

If that's not what they're going for at the outset, I don't see them reversing course and going for it later.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

BrandonFG

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2007, 03:21:54 PM »
[quote name=\'Sodboy13\' post=\'154844\' date=\'Jun 10 2007, 12:47 PM\']
[/quote]

The level of humor isn't what concerns me.  It's the fact that the questions are going for laughs, which I think would tend to undermine the meat of Temptation: a rapid-fire quizzer.  If you're trying to be funny, each question requires a longer set-up, and most likely a bit of wrap-up following the question.
[/quote]
I think you're reading WAY too much into a show that hasn't even aired yet.

tvwxman

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2007, 03:31:28 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'154846\' date=\'Jun 10 2007, 03:21 PM\']
I think you're reading WAY too much into a show that hasn't even aired yet.
[/quote]
Smartest words spoken on this topic.

People, quit translating speculation as fact.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

itiparanoid13

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2007, 05:33:59 PM »
Maybe some of the more experienced people here can clue me in a bit.  The only thing that worries me about this show is that we haven't heard a single thing in a really long time.  Shouldn't there be some information about casting if the show is debuting September 10th?  I'm just going by comparison from Crosswords, but we're starting to tape in about 3-4 weeks.  When I even talked to staffers from Temptation when the debut date was announced, they seemed completely shocked.  I would have thought there would have been some public casting notice somewhere by now; that's the main raising of the caution flag in my mind.

BrandonFG

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2007, 05:50:24 PM »
[quote name=\'itiparanoid13\' post=\'154858\' date=\'Jun 10 2007, 05:33 PM\']
Maybe some of the more experienced people here can clue me in a bit.  The only thing that worries me about this show is that we haven't heard a single thing in a really long time.  Shouldn't there be some information about casting if the show is debuting September 10th?  I'm just going by comparison from Crosswords, but we're starting to tape in about 3-4 weeks.  When I even talked to staffers from Temptation when the debut date was announced, they seemed completely shocked.  I would have thought there would have been some public casting notice somewhere by now; that's the main raising of the caution flag in my mind.
[/quote]
From what I can remember, when Feud started taping in '99, I want to say that the tapings didn't even start until July, ditto for HSq a year prior. It could still be considered early, perhaps.

Also, has either show shot their pilot? In speaking with a program manager from a rival station, he said the Norfolk stations are waiting to see one just to get a general idea. All I know is we had the Flash presentation several months ago, but I don't even think the set would look like that.

/would love to see those podia rotate like that tho...