Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Oldest Contestant Ever?  (Read 6273 times)

Chelsea Thrasher

Oldest Contestant Ever?
« on: July 15, 2007, 01:17:25 AM »
Watching a recent episode of Countdown, they mentioned that the challenger for the day was 89, and said he was the oldest contestant the show had ever had (the accuracy of that I can't vouch for).  That said, does anyone have an idea of who might have been the oldest contestant on a game show?  I know The Price is Right has had a few in their 90s.  Any over 100?

Allstar87

Oldest Contestant Ever?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2007, 01:24:39 AM »
Don't know any over 100. Closest I can think of: Samuel J. Seymour was about 96 when he appeared on I've Got A Secret in 1956.

Jay Temple

Oldest Contestant Ever?
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2007, 01:35:58 AM »
I recall Tic Tac Dough having a Seniors Tournament. I don't recall the minimum age, but I'm fairly certain it was higher than J!'s 50. Some of your oldest contestants would probably have come from there.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

Matt Ottinger

Oldest Contestant Ever?
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2007, 03:51:01 AM »
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' post=\'157499\' date=\'Jul 15 2007, 01:35 AM\']
I recall Tic Tac Dough having a Seniors Tournament. I don't recall the minimum age, but I'm fairly certain it was higher than J!'s 50. Some of your oldest contestants would probably have come from there.
[/quote]
Coincidentally, today I was in a position to look at a lot of old press material, and I saw a promo for the Tic Tac Dough Seniors Tournament, something I didn't remember seeing on the air.  Minimum age was 80, but it didn't say anything about the oldest player participating.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

whewfan

Oldest Contestant Ever?
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2007, 05:24:49 AM »
I believe TPIR had a 99 year old guy play Switcheroo with modified rules (the 30 second clock was not used, and Bob placed the blocks where he wanted them) Bob said the clock was "not working", but I think he just didn't want to suggest they were bending the rules because this guy was 99 and would have difficulty placing the 5 blocks in 30 seconds.

MikeK

• Martha!
Oldest Contestant Ever?
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2007, 11:37:49 AM »
[quote name=\'Allstar87\' post=\'157498\' date=\'Jul 15 2007, 01:24 AM\']Don't know any over 100. Closest I can think of: Samuel J. Seymour was about 96 when he appeared on I've Got A Secret in 1956.[/quote]
Was this the gentleman whose secret was he was at Ford's Theater when Lincoln was assassinated?  Given the age and year he was on Secret, I'm guessing the answer is in the affirmative.

tvrandywest

Oldest Contestant Ever?
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2007, 01:07:02 PM »
[quote name=\'whewfan\' post=\'157512\' date=\'Jul 15 2007, 02:24 AM\']
I believe TPIR had a 99 year old guy play Switcheroo with modified rules (the 30 second clock was not used, and Bob placed the blocks where he wanted them) Bob said the clock was "not working", but I think he just didn't want to suggest they were bending the rules because this guy was 99 and would have difficulty placing the 5 blocks in 30 seconds.
[/quote]Yea, I believe that was one of the TPiR episodes I announced, although I forgot if the player was 95 or 98 or 99. Whichever, he made Barker look young! Bob abd Roger handled the situation perfectly to maintain the player's dignity by making believe the clock was broken (it wasn't) and having Bob place the blocks. Classy.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

JohnHolder

Oldest Contestant Ever?
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2007, 02:06:41 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' post=\'157523\' date=\'Jul 15 2007, 01:07 PM\']
[quote name=\'whewfan\' post=\'157512\' date=\'Jul 15 2007, 02:24 AM\']
[/quote]Yea, I believe that was one of the TPiR episodes I announced, although I forgot if the player was 95 or 98 or 99. Whichever, he made Barker look young! Bob abd Roger handled the situation perfectly to maintain the player's dignity by making believe the clock was broken (it wasn't) and having Bob place the blocks. Classy.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
[/quote]

Randy, is it true that on a show where they're going to play a physically-oriented game (like Race Game or Bonkers), they delay calling elderly/disabled contestants down to CR until afterwards?  I've read that elsewhere.

John

cmjb13

Oldest Contestant Ever?
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2007, 02:09:25 PM »
A quick search reveals he was 99
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

whewfan

Oldest Contestant Ever?
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2007, 03:18:10 PM »
Randy, is it true that on a show where they're going to play a physically-oriented game (like Race Game or Bonkers), they delay calling elderly/disabled contestants down to CR until afterwards?  I've read that elsewhere.

I would imagine that would be the case. If they wanted to call a contestant down that they KNEW had physical limitations, they'd simply get called down after the game is played. Interestingly enough, a wheelchair contestant played Switcheroo, but with a 45 second clock instead of 30, and he handled the blocks.

Allstar87

Oldest Contestant Ever?
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2007, 07:23:48 PM »
[quote name=\'MikeK\' post=\'157520\' date=\'Jul 15 2007, 11:37 AM\']
Was this the gentleman whose secret was he was at Ford's Theater when Lincoln was assassinated?  Given the age and year he was on Secret, I'm guessing the answer is in the affirmative.
[/quote]

You are indeed correct. And if I recall correctly, he passed away not long after he appeared on IGAS.

mcsittel

Oldest Contestant Ever?
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2007, 08:09:05 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'157506\' date=\'Jul 15 2007, 02:51 AM\']
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' post=\'157499\' date=\'Jul 15 2007, 01:35 AM\']
[/quote]
Coincidentally, today I was in a position to look at a lot of old press material, and I saw a promo for the Tic Tac Dough Seniors Tournament, something I didn't remember seeing on the air.  Minimum age was 80, but it didn't say anything about the oldest player participating.
[/quote]

Why I remember it, I don't know... but I think a 93-year-old lady who was the eldest member of the group.

Nick

Oldest Contestant Ever?
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2007, 07:28:17 PM »
[quote name=\'whewfan\' post=\'157536\' date=\'Jul 15 2007, 02:18 PM\']
Interestingly enough, a wheelchair contestant played Switcheroo, but with a 45 second clock instead of 30, and he handled the blocks.
[/quote]

You're half correct.  He was given forty-five seconds, but he didn't handle the blocks himself.  Model Claudia Jordan, who was with the show at that time, did the placement for him.
It was a golden age of daytime network television... Game Shows... Hosted by people who actually knew that the game was the star... And I wish it was still that way - both that game shows were on all morning and that they were hosted by actual game show hosts. - Bob Purse, Inches Per Second

Bob Zager

Oldest Contestant Ever?
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2007, 11:14:40 AM »
I seem to recall seeing a Best of Groucho episode a couple of times, featuring a man over the age of 100!  I don't recall his name, though!

uncamark

Oldest Contestant Ever?
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2007, 12:06:01 PM »
And "TJW" did a seniors tournament in early 1974 in which there was one contestant over 100.  In hyping the tourney, Barry kept mentioning that they had contestants in their 80s and 90s plus "a very special surprise."  When the 102-year-old lady came on, Barry revealed that that was the surprise--he put it something like "this lady is over 100 years old."  [Applause]  "In fact, she is 102--how about that?"  [More appaluse]