Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Discussion of "Power of 10", Drew's TPIR...  (Read 2968 times)

curtking

Discussion of "Power of 10", Drew's TPIR...
« on: July 20, 2007, 09:21:18 AM »
A couple of notes from Michael Ausiello's report on TVGuide.com:

Live Press Tour Diary: CBS, Day 2

2:19 pm: Someone asks Drew about the TPIR buzz. Confirms that he's been approached and they're in talks. "Nothing's been decided yet," he says. "I wish I had something to tell you today." You and me both.

2:33 pm: Drew jokes that one thing holding up TPIR talks is that he wants to change the show's title to "The Magic Golden Wheel." Says negotiations are "going back and forth," adding, "It would be really fun to do. That show needs to be treated with a lot of respect."
Sounds like things are a bit more serious than first thought...and I'm pleased that Drew knows that the show needs to be "treated with a lot of respect."

pianogeek

• LET'S PLAY!
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 09:48:43 AM »
[quote name=\'curtking\' post=\'157990\' date=\'Jul 20 2007, 09:21 AM\']
A couple of notes from Michael Ausiello's report on TVGuide.com:

Live Press Tour Diary: CBS, Day 2

2:19 pm: Someone asks Drew about the TPIR buzz. Confirms that he's been approached and they're in talks. "Nothing's been decided yet," he says. "I wish I had something to tell you today." You and me both.

2:33 pm: Drew jokes that one thing holding up TPIR talks is that he wants to change the show's title to "The Magic Golden Wheel." Says negotiations are "going back and forth," adding, "It would be really fun to do. That show needs to be treated with a lot of respect."
Sounds like things are a bit more serious than first thought...and I'm pleased that Drew knows that the show needs to be "treated with a lot of respect."
[/quote]

Nice to hear that Drew's realized this.

I'm wondering, besides radio DJ's, have improv performers successfully turn themselves into good television hosts/presenters in the past?
-Sanford

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 10:10:02 AM »
[quote name=\'pianogeek\' post=\'157993\' date=\'Jul 20 2007, 09:48 AM\']I'm wondering, besides radio DJ's, have improv performers successfully turn themselves into good television hosts/presenters in the past?[/quote]
Carey has a decent entertainment resume, but I don't think anyone would classify him as an "improv performer" just because he hosted an improv show and joined in once in a while.  Insofar as improv training helps you think on your feet, I can only imagine that it's a nice skill to have, and virtually any actor or comic who's ever hosted a game show probably had some amount of improv training at some point in their careers.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

TimK2003

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 01:31:15 PM »
Here is the official brief story on Drew addressing the Price Is Right topic.

Here's one "Deaconess (Hospital) Baby" wishing luck to a fellow "Deaconess Baby".

Card Shark

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2007, 04:14:16 PM »
The perfesser has added his 3 cents, including his plugging of his favorite Todd Newton. In this article, he says that tapings for the upcoming TPIR season begin August 25, which is odd since it's a Saturday (I know I should take his stuff with a bucket of salt). This has not been listed on the CBS website, though.
Adam Strom

tpirfan28

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2007, 04:46:59 PM »
Variety-speak version, which says Drew all but has the job.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

DrBear

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2007, 04:50:00 PM »
I'm wondering, besides radio DJ's, have improv performers successfully turn themselves into good television hosts/presenters in the past?
Don't forget Greg Proops, who I thought did a good job on Versus. (The short-lived ComCentral show, not the former Outdoor Life Network). And Wayne Brady is hosting one of the two finish-the-song shows. (Let's see...Brad Sherwood did TTTT2K, Colin Mochrie did Donnymid....

But seriously, since this is the first time I've weighed in on the topic - a short term of Drew might be the best thing to keep TPIR going for several years. He's big-name enough that following Barker won't do him in as it might a lesser-known host. He probably will stay for, at most, a couple of years. And with his glasses and the occasional bow tie, he looks a bit like Bill Cullen (OK, Bill Cullen on acid).

But if his rep can draw some new viewers and get them used to the idea of TPIR without TWGMC, that will ease the path for a longer-term replacement more in the traditional vein down the line.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2007, 04:59:43 PM »
[quote name=\'DrBear\' post=\'158016\' date=\'Jul 20 2007, 01:50 PM\']
Brad Sherwood did TTTT2K,
[/quote]
More to the point, he hosted that weird pick-facts-off-the-board revival of The Dating Game, before they scrapped it, went back to the original format, and gave it to Chuck Woolery.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

tpirfan28

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2007, 05:16:24 PM »
[quote name=\'Card Shark\' post=\'158014\' date=\'Jul 20 2007, 04:14 PM\']
The perfesser has added his 3 cents, including his plugging of his favorite Todd Newton. In this article, he says that tapings for the upcoming TPIR season begin August 25, which is odd since it's a Saturday (I know I should take his stuff with a bucket of salt). This has not been listed on the CBS website, though.
[/quote]
Just read the "editorial"...Les Moonves just might have a freakin' COW if Dave Price is not picked.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

uncamark

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2007, 12:29:03 PM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'158018\' date=\'Jul 20 2007, 04:16 PM\']
[quote name=\'Card Shark\' post=\'158014\' date=\'Jul 20 2007, 04:14 PM\']
[/quote]
Just read the "editorial"...Les Moonves just might have a freakin' COW if Dave Price is not picked.
[/quote]

He had it six months ago, when Price allegedly bombed in his auditions.

At least he's got his number one prime time and daytime ratings and his little Chenbot to keep him happy.

Mr. Bill

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2007, 06:02:36 PM »
Just released on the Associated Press is the report that Drew will be making the official announcement tonight with Letterman that he will be the new host of TPIR.

BrandonFG

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2007, 06:07:53 PM »
[quote name=\'Mr. Bill\' post=\'158313\' date=\'Jul 23 2007, 06:02 PM\']
Just released on the Associated Press is the report that Drew will be making the official announcement tonight with Letterman that he will be the new host of TPIR.
[/quote]
Covered in this new thread.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!