Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Drew's First Pricing Games  (Read 10031 times)

TheLastResort

Drew's First Pricing Games
« Reply #45 on: July 24, 2007, 06:14:30 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'158489\' date=\'Jul 24 2007, 05:52 PM\']
Ya know, folks, Drew Carey isn't exactly a stupid person.

Is all of this "hosting" stuff automatic? No. But to suggest he needs "binary outcomes" to start with is kinda doing him a disservice.[/quote]

I agree.  None of the games are complicated.  If they were, they would have been yanked by now.  I'm sure they'll start with a handful of games, run through them one at a time, and take it from there.  And if they have to stop down once or twice per show and brief Carey on the upcoming games, so be it.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #46 on: July 24, 2007, 06:15:13 PM »
[quote name=\'MikeK\' post=\'158491\' date=\'Jul 24 2007, 03:07 PM\']
What are the simplest games to host?  Situations where either choice A is right or choice B.  I wasn't insinuating Drew's a dolt nor did I say that the only games he should get are binary outcomes.  I appreciate the words being put in my mouth.
[/quote]
Oh, calm down, I wasn't putting any words in your mouth that you didn't use yourself. ("Binary outcomes" is YOUR phrase, chief.) Nor did I suggest that you said either of those things.

This is gonna get old REALLY fast.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #47 on: July 24, 2007, 06:54:34 PM »
Does this translate to less language and business for the emcee?

I wasn't going for that angle, but it's a great one.
Mike, you're a smart enough guy to know that at first, the emphasis will be on Drew simply getting the right words out. I harken back to the days of Dennis James, who was intentionally given a limited repertoire of games. Money Game is a great starter game with its repetitive picks. So is Cliffhangers because the business of mountain climbing fills time without the emcee having to do anything. Range Game: stand there and watch the range finder go up. P!inko: stand there and watch the chips fall.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 06:55:29 PM by chris319 »

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #48 on: July 24, 2007, 11:51:06 PM »
The more pricing games that they can have available to play in the quickest period of time, the better off the show will be.  Even the most casual viewers will pick up on things if they're playing Most Expensive 3 times a week every week.  

Ideally, if they can get Drew comfortable with 30 games the first week, they'll be good. At least 25 minimum (Plinko, Money Game, a couple others could be gotten away with twice.)   After that, try to work in a few (5?) new games per week, and by mid-season you can have a game rotation near what exists now.  Drew seems like an intelligent guy, so him learning the games shouldn't be an issue.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #49 on: July 25, 2007, 01:19:45 AM »
Even the most casual viewers will pick up on things if they're playing Most Expensive 3 times a week every week.
They might also pick up on the fact that there's a new emcee.

Ideally, if they can get Drew comfortable with 30 games the first week
Geez Louise, what do you think Drew Carey is, some kind of super-genius mental freak? I still have memories of Dick Martin trying to get ONE game straight. How many shows did they do and how many pricing games was D.P. unable to master? And you think Drew is going to get 30 in the first week alone? Cripes, they only have five games when Barker started.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #50 on: July 25, 2007, 01:46:18 AM »
Wouldn't learning how games are played be akin to memorizing a script? I don't think it's gonna be as much of a problem as it would for a non-actor.  I think Drew will do his homework and be ready when the time comes as all eyez are on him.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 01:47:18 AM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #51 on: July 25, 2007, 02:21:31 AM »
His acting experience will no doubt stand him in good stead, unlike other non-actor types who have read for the job.

Clay Zambo

« Reply #52 on: July 25, 2007, 07:31:32 AM »
*We* care about the pricing game rotation.  Seems to me far more viewers are going to care about Drew.  I'm not saying they should play the same games every day for a week, but honestly I don't think anybody but us gives a tinker's damn about it.
czambo@mac.com

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #53 on: July 25, 2007, 09:17:36 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'158532\' date=\'Jul 25 2007, 12:19 AM\']
Geez Louise, what do you think Drew Carey is, some kind of super-genius mental freak?[/quote]

No, I think he's a reasonably intelligent human being with quite a few years of experience memorizing sets of directions. Factored in with the fact that there are a few cases where rules overlap or are similar, and Drew seems perfectly capable to me of learing 20-30 games - given he does have a couple of months before the show even goes on the air.  
----