Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Changes you'd like to see  (Read 42569 times)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Changes you'd like to see
« Reply #60 on: July 27, 2007, 01:26:58 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'158797\' date=\'Jul 26 2007, 10:13 PM\']Well, then, maybe they could do a game about developing a sense of humor.  Get it? DEVELOPING?  :)[/quote]Oh yes, I got it. I just thought, and hoped, oh how I hoped, that the pun thing would die after "Cash and Carey" and "Showcase Hoedown." The latter of which being the gold standard by which all future Drew Carey/The Price is Right puns should be judged.

Later edit: I don't see how I can be owned when I pointed out why Jimmy's original joke was unfunny in the first place, to have him turn around and come up with another unfunny joke to follow on. Being charitable would say that the later was funny enough to make up for the former, and would make the exchange a draw.

I would save everyone a bunch of time by doing the Stewie Griffin "NOT FUNNY!" thing, but I'd have an awful lot of those posts, and I don't think I can come up with that many ObGameShows references.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2007, 02:33:43 AM by TLEberle »
Travis L. Eberle

davemackey

« Reply #61 on: July 27, 2007, 05:26:06 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'158799\' date=\'Jul 27 2007, 01:26 AM\']
Oh yes, I got it. I just thought, and hoped, oh how I hoped, that the pun thing would die after "Cash and Carey" and "Showcase Hoedown." The latter of which being the gold standard by which all future Drew Carey/The Price is Right puns should be judged.[/quote]
Oh boy! Residuals!

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #62 on: July 27, 2007, 07:17:20 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'158799\' date=\'Jul 27 2007, 12:26 AM\']
Being charitable would say that the later was funny enough to make up for the former, and would make the exchange a draw.
[/quote]
Apparently making two jokes that aren't funny is akin to pressing the button on "Flip-Flop" and winning the prize.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

TimK2003

« Reply #63 on: July 27, 2007, 09:52:57 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'158534\' date=\'Jul 25 2007, 01:45 AM\']
My guess is that they now use daily-hire models as opposed to models who had personal-services contracts as in days of old.
[/quote]

And it was those "personal-services" which got Bob in hot water!

[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'158697\' date=\'Jul 26 2007, 12:20 PM\']
As many of you may've already heard, Drew is going to do the "help control the pet population" signoff.  Aside from that, I agree with you all that he shouldn't carry over any of Barker's schticks.

Well, maybe he should do the inspiration putt the first time he does Hole-in-One.  If he makes it, he keeps doing it until he wants to stop.  If he doesn't, no more.
[/quote]

I think Drew should keep the "Inspirational Putt" but not call it as such anymore.  Maybe just reference it as a "demonstration putt" without all the fanfare, success percentage, and bragging that Barker puts into it -- just the way in Superball how Barker would demonstrate without any fanfare.

[quote name=\'Seth Thrasher\' post=\'158773\' date=\'Jul 26 2007, 09:30 PM\']
[quote name=\'Card Shark\' post=\'158770\' date=\'Jul 26 2007, 08:05 PM\'] Here's a change I'd like to see...no more summer reruns. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the summer reruns started when Barker started getting too old and didn't have the energy to work year round. Well, now there's a younger guy and I'm sure he can handle taping episodes year round. [/quote]

They started doing the reruns in Summer 1976, so Bob's age probably isn't the reason - or at least the key one - why the summer reruns were adopted.  Assuming that, then, why *did* they start doing the summer reruns?
[/quote]

The logical assumption was that it was during that 75-76 season that they doubled up the length of the show to an hour, so even with 3 months of reruns, Bob was still working 50% more than in the first 2 seasons.  If the show was still 30 minutes in length, it could easily be done.  But remember, adding 3 more months of hour long shows is the equivalent of 6 months worth of 30 minute shows.  And the TPiR people are working more hours than the other 30-minute shows already.

rebelwrest

« Reply #64 on: July 27, 2007, 11:14:20 AM »
I'm wondering since TPIR got a younger host and Studio 33 (sorry Bob Barker Studios) have HD adaptable cameras, do you think CBS would want to do TPIR in HD (Maybe not for the dailies but for primetime specials?)
My favorite Win Ben Stein's Money Category:

Where Am I Doc? Urinalysis Restaurant.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #65 on: July 27, 2007, 11:26:17 AM »
Rather than reruns, I'd prefer an occassional fill-in host.  I'm not sure if it is ego that prevents that from happening in TV anymore (Leno) or upsetting the viewing patterns or what.  

Since Todd and Mark could keep their regular jobs and know the show inside out, what would be the harm in tapping them for fill-ins, not to mention allowing the audience to familiarize themselves with these gentlemen should Drew decide to take a better offer.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #66 on: July 27, 2007, 11:43:36 AM »
[quote name=\'rebelwrest\' post=\'158815\' date=\'Jul 27 2007, 08:14 AM\']
I'm wondering since TPIR got a younger host and Studio 33 (sorry Bob Barker Studios) have HD adaptable cameras, do you think CBS would want to do TPIR in HD (Maybe not for the dailies but for primetime specials?)
[/quote]
Um, I can't think of a single reason they would continue to do the daytime show in SD if they have all of the equipment in place to do it in HD. The capital outlay has already happened. In fact you would ABSOLUTELY do it all in HD to obtain maximum return on your investment.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

clemon79

« Reply #67 on: July 27, 2007, 11:45:49 AM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'158808\' date=\'Jul 27 2007, 04:17 AM\']
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'158799\' date=\'Jul 27 2007, 12:26 AM\']
Being charitable would say that the later was funny enough to make up for the former, and would make the exchange a draw.
[/quote]
Apparently making two jokes that aren't funny is akin to pressing the button on "Flip-Flop" and winning the prize.
[/quote]
Travis, take a look at this and consider if you really want to maintain your stance on Jimmy's joke.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #68 on: July 27, 2007, 12:15:47 PM »
[quote name=\'rebelwrest\' post=\'158815\' date=\'Jul 27 2007, 10:14 AM\']
Studio 33 (sorry Bob Barker Studios) [/quote]

Don't feel guilty--to me it was Carol Burnett's studio long before Bob's.
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Gus

« Reply #69 on: July 27, 2007, 12:36:52 PM »
[quote name=\'rebelwrest\' post=\'158815\' date=\'Jul 27 2007, 11:14 AM\']
[/quote]

I seem to remember hearing that although it has HD cameras, 33's control room equips aren't HD-capable yet. That was a while ago, though; has the situation changed since then?

cmjb13

« Reply #70 on: July 27, 2007, 01:18:59 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'158820\' date=\'Jul 27 2007, 11:43 AM\']
[quote name=\'rebelwrest\' post=\'158815\' date=\'Jul 27 2007, 08:14 AM\']
[/quote]
Um, I can't think of a single reason they would continue to do the daytime show in SD if they have all of the equipment in place to do it in HD. The capital outlay has already happened. In fact you would ABSOLUTELY do it all in HD to obtain maximum return on your investment.
[/quote]
Games will look like crap.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

clemon79

« Reply #71 on: July 27, 2007, 01:33:16 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' post=\'158831\' date=\'Jul 27 2007, 10:18 AM\']
Games will look like crap.
[/quote]
This is what "paint" is for.

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #72 on: July 27, 2007, 01:35:03 PM »
[quote name=\'Seth Thrasher\' post=\'158773\' date=\'Jul 26 2007, 09:30 PM\']
[quote name=\'Card Shark\' post=\'158770\' date=\'Jul 26 2007, 08:05 PM\'] Here's a change I'd like to see...no more summer reruns. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the summer reruns started when Barker started getting too old and didn't have the energy to work year round. Well, now there's a younger guy and I'm sure he can handle taping episodes year round. [/quote]
They started doing the reruns in Summer 1976, so Bob's age probably isn't the reason - or at least the key one - why the summer reruns were adopted.  Assuming that, then, why *did* they start doing the summer reruns?
[/quote]
Well, for one thing, Bob wasn't the only one working year-round, and I'm sure there's some union stipulation saying that people can only work X hours per larger time unit.  Plus, the purchase of episodes for a season is only so many, and I don't think that number ever reached 260 (a 52-week purchase of a 5-a-week show).

Also, I thought that Price was already being shot nearly year-round.  Remember, on an average week, they only tape 5 shows.  That means 39 weeks of taping to fulfill their 195-episode order, plus any specials or working ahead to get tapes in the can for later on.
This signature is currently under construction.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #73 on: July 27, 2007, 02:26:50 PM »
Barring strikes and pre-emptions, network daytime game shows did 260 a year with no repeats. Price was the exception.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

JayDLewis

« Reply #74 on: July 27, 2007, 02:38:37 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'158844\' date=\'Jul 27 2007, 01:26 PM\']
Barring strikes and pre-emptions, network daytime game shows did 260 a year with no repeats. Price was the exception.
[/quote]

Barely. First season had 254 eps.
QWIZX.com  -- A little bit of everything