Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Changes you'd like to see  (Read 42576 times)

whewfan

Changes you'd like to see
« Reply #90 on: July 30, 2007, 03:04:35 PM »
I know there has been no mention of format changes for TPIR, but would anyone be opposed to a format like Davidson's, only for a full hour? This way, we could still have 6 pricing games, 2 showcase showdowns, and a 2 person showcase. This would free up a lot of time for Drew to interact with the contestants.

BrandonFG

« Reply #91 on: July 30, 2007, 03:25:27 PM »
[quote name=\'whewfan\' post=\'159080\' date=\'Jul 30 2007, 03:04 PM\']
I know there has been no mention of format changes for TPIR, but would anyone be opposed to a format like Davidson's, only for a full hour? This way, we could still have 6 pricing games, 2 showcase showdowns, and a 2 person showcase. This would free up a lot of time for Drew to interact with the contestants.
[/quote]
That's the one problem I had with Davidson's version--it removes the entire premise from the show. What's the point of calling it "The Price is Right"?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2007, 03:38:22 PM by fostergray82 »
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

tpirfan28

« Reply #92 on: July 30, 2007, 03:36:13 PM »
Plus, Mr. 420 fratboi dumba** gets right on up to play a pricing game.  There's no built-in stopper system (aka Contestant's Row) in that system.

Do we really want more Mr. 420 playing pricing games?
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

Neumms

« Reply #93 on: July 30, 2007, 03:36:40 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'158890\' date=\'Jul 27 2007, 10:26 PM\']
A lot of the things that need replacing are things that have been done just in the past few years. That overpowering blue and magenta on the turntable platform has needed to go from day one. Likewise with the comic book theme on the doors.

I don't know if it's still there, but the Clam had a gray flannel wall covering on the interior which looked positively elegant. A decision should be made whether TPIR wants to go in a more elegant direction with graphics, or continue with comic-book and nursery-school graphics.
[/quote]

Amen! It's one thing to be retro, it's another to be tacky beyond belief. Hell, 70s graphics are hip again, to where you see TPIR's logo font everywhere. They could do a lot to update the set yet keep it in the famiiiar vernacular.

Casey Buck

« Reply #94 on: July 30, 2007, 03:38:59 PM »
TPiR's format right now has been squeezed to the bone, because of increased commercial time (including a 30-second increase a few years ago). Something's going to have to give eventually, unless Drew operates in Super Rush mode all the time.

My proposal, which is the lesser of two evils:

Reduce the number of pricing games and One Bids from 6 to 4, and keep the two Showcase Showdowns, with 2 players instead of 3.

But, keep the same audience for both tapings (giving 14 chances to come on down instead of 9, and 8 chances to make it up on stage, instead of 6). This'll save a LOT of time, plus it will give Drew much more breathing room.

BrandonFG

« Reply #95 on: July 30, 2007, 03:45:02 PM »
[quote name=\'Casey Buck\' post=\'159086\' date=\'Jul 30 2007, 03:38 PM\']
TPiR's format right now has been squeezed to the bone, because of increased commercial time (including a 30-second increase a few years ago). Something's going to have to give eventually, unless Drew operates in Super Rush mode all the time.

[...]

Reduce the number of pricing games and One Bids from 6 to 4, and keep the two Showcase Showdowns, with 2 players instead of 3.
[/quote]

Isn't that what they did for the anniversary specials (25th, 30th, Bob's 50th), to make room for clips and/or anecdotes? I'm for that if it encourages audience interaction, which works in Drew's case, being the new kid on the block.

/New Kid on the Block?
//I hope he has the right stuff...
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

tpirfan28

« Reply #96 on: July 30, 2007, 03:47:50 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'159089\' date=\'Jul 30 2007, 03:45 PM\']
Isn't that what they did for the anniversary specials (25th, 30th, Bob's 50th), to make room for clips and/or anecdotes? I'm for that if it encourages audience interaction, which works in Drew's case, being the new kid on the block. [/quote]
25th and Bob's 50th were 1/2 hour gameplay shows.  30th was hour (TP/Plinko/DP/Squeeze were at least played).  I would be more for Casey's adaptation rather than elimination of the wheel.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

BrandonFG

« Reply #97 on: July 30, 2007, 04:06:15 PM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'159090\' date=\'Jul 30 2007, 03:47 PM\']
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'159089\' date=\'Jul 30 2007, 03:45 PM\']
Isn't that what they did for the anniversary specials (25th, 30th, Bob's 50th), to make room for clips and/or anecdotes? I'm for that if it encourages audience interaction, which works in Drew's case, being the new kid on the block. [/quote]
25th and Bob's 50th were 1/2 hour gameplay shows.  30th was hour (TP/Plinko/DP/Squeeze were at least played).  I would be more for Casey's adaptation rather than elimination of the wheel.
[/quote]
I forgot they took out the wheel. I'm definitely in favor of Casey's format, with the wheel.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #98 on: July 30, 2007, 04:10:11 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the 30th anniversary special have clips and the like?
What are you planning to fill the time with?  Do you really want to see Drew interact with some beach bum from UCLA?
--Mark
Phil 4:13

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #99 on: July 30, 2007, 04:29:10 PM »
[quote name=\'Casey Buck\' post=\'159086\' date=\'Jul 30 2007, 12:38 PM\']

My proposal, which is the lesser of two evils:

But, keep the same audience for both tapings (giving 14 chances to come on down instead of 9, and 8 chances to make it up on stage, instead of 6). This'll save a LOT of time, plus it will give Drew much more breathing room.
[/quote]
Or five stage games or one Showcase Showdown with the top three winners. With one SS you could play longer games in position #4.

It is not feasible to keep one audience for more than one show. They need to load in prizes and games and do blocking before each show.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #100 on: July 30, 2007, 04:30:17 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'159096\' date=\'Jul 30 2007, 01:10 PM\']
Do you really want to see Drew interact with some beach bum from UCLA?
[/quote]
Hopefully the idea is, now that Barker is gone, they STOP PICKING THOSE PEOPLE.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TheLastResort

« Reply #101 on: July 30, 2007, 06:25:37 PM »
I don't know if this has been suggested, but I'd like to see a change to the Showcase in which both contestants bid on the SAME prize package.  They could write down their guesses during the final commercial break (a la "Jeopardy") and Drew could reveal them afterwards.  Obviously there would no longer be double showcase winners, but you'd gain at least a minute for game play.

DrBear

« Reply #102 on: July 30, 2007, 08:25:30 PM »
[quote name=\'davemackey\' post=\'158805\' date=\'Jul 27 2007, 04:26 AM\'] [quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'158799\' date=\'Jul 27 2007, 01:26 AM\']
Oh yes, I got it. I just thought, and hoped, oh how I hoped, that the pun thing would die after "Cash and Carey" and "Showcase Hoedown." The latter of which being the gold standard by which all future Drew Carey/The Price is Right puns should be judged.[/quote]
Oh boy! Residuals!
 [/quote]
Damn, cutting it off before I could post:

Prices from a hat.
Price to Rap.
Super Prices

And, of course, The Hillbilly Version of TPIR...Drew's writers loves them hillbillies.

But serially folks...why not go back to the Cullen version for an idea ... related bonus prizes? Have the IUFB be something fairly minor - a $500 freezer or something - and then when the contestant comes up on stage, they get ... a herd of cows for the meat to fill it!*

*OK, I can see why Barker never did that.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #103 on: July 30, 2007, 09:05:48 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'159096\' date=\'Jul 30 2007, 04:10 PM\']
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the 30th anniversary special have clips and the like?[/quote]

Only before a couple of the commercials.  It was almost all game.

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #104 on: July 30, 2007, 09:25:27 PM »
[quote name=\'TheLastResort\' post=\'159115\' date=\'Jul 30 2007, 05:25 PM\']I don't know if this has been suggested, but I'd like to see a change to the Showcase in which both contestants bid on the SAME prize package.  They could write down their guesses during the final commercial break (a la "Jeopardy") and Drew could reveal them afterwards.  Obviously there would no longer be double showcase winners, but you'd gain at least a minute for game play.[/quote]
What happens in the event of a tie?

And while it seems like there's only a small chance of that happening, what do you do if contestants start realizing that if they all just "secretly" bid $1, then they each win the prizes?

--
Scott Robinson