Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Drew Carey Ready to Take on "The Price is Right"  (Read 7811 times)

Casey Buck

Drew Carey Ready to Take on "The Price is Right"
« on: July 25, 2007, 11:44:24 PM »
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/25/arts/tel...25cnd-care.html (requires registration)

An interesting (and fairly reassuring) excerpt:

Asked to size up Mr. Barker's appeal, Mr. Carey put it this way: "He  has good empathy for all the players. He wants them to win. You can hug  him. He went from being your dad and your uncle to your grandfather.  You know, 'He's Bob, he's on my side.' "

Mr. Carey said he hoped  to bring a similar warmth to his new role, and that while he was  confident he could extract plenty of humor from his guests' anxieties —  mainly through his efforts to try to calm them down — he would not seek  to mine laughs by making fun of them. He also said he was confident  that whatever dirty jokes he still liked to tell, particularly in  places like Las Vegas, would stay in Las Vegas.

Regular viewers  of "The Price Is Right," he says, can rest assured that beyond getting  used to his blond-brown crew cut in place of Mr. Barker's white mane,  little about the show will change. An announcer will still prod  contestants from the audience with the signature "Come on down!" And  beyond a few touch-ups, the set is also "going to look very familiar."

One  change that he and the producers are planning, he said, is periodically  to take the show, which is based in Los Angeles, on the road, and  broadcast for a week or so from various cities.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 11:56:53 PM by Casey Buck »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2007, 11:52:23 PM »
[quote name=\'Casey Buck\' post=\'158660\' date=\'Jul 25 2007, 08:44 PM\']
He went from being your dad and your uncle to your grandfather.
[/quote]
Certainly we know he let at least one employee know who her daddy was.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 11:53:04 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Kevin Prather

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007, 12:16:36 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'158663\' date=\'Jul 25 2007, 08:52 PM\']
[quote name=\'Casey Buck\' post=\'158660\' date=\'Jul 25 2007, 08:44 PM\']
He went from being your dad and your uncle to your grandfather.
[/quote]
Certainly we know he let at least one employee know who her daddy was.
[/quote]
No more calls, please. :)

Kevin Prather

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2007, 12:18:06 AM »
By the way, here's the line I found interesting...

He acknowledged, for example, that his minimum tip — even for a hamburger at Denny’s, or a Coke at a Cracker Barrel — is typically $100, and sometimes much more.
Suddenly, I hope he comes to Seattle soon. I'd bake him a pizza ANY day. :)

tvwxman

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2007, 09:45:14 AM »
Just one guys opinion (one who happens to be a host too, albeit on a MUCH smaller level)....

This guy gets 'it'.  He realizes the impact Price has had on television and pop culture, yet is realistic enough to know that in the grand scheme of things, it's 'just' a game show.

The more I read and hear from him, the more I'm convinced CBS didn't blow this choice. He has a LOT of work ahead of him in the next few weeks, memorizing the minute details that make TPIR a difficult show to host, but I'm absolutely sure he'll be fine.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 09:46:09 AM by tvwxman »
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

weaklink75

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2007, 10:48:22 AM »
What interested me was the mention that they're thinking of taking the show on the road....The key would be getting the right places to stage it (The Vegas episode a few years back was OK, but they probably needed a different venue..) Like if they did some NYC eps, I wouldn't go to Radio City Music Hall, I would try the Theater at Madison Square Garden (it's a little smaller)

clemon79

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2007, 11:44:32 AM »
The problem is that they *need* big in order to be able to load in the set pieces. Unless they develop smallified versions of some of the games to take on the road.

uncamark

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2007, 11:58:31 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'158688\' date=\'Jul 26 2007, 10:44 AM\']
The problem is that they *need* big in order to be able to load in the set pieces. Unless they develop smallified versions of some of the games to take on the road.
[/quote]

Wouldn't they almost have to?  Those set pieces weren't designed to travel any farther from the TV City scene dock to Studio 33 and back again.  The Vegas deal was only supposed to be a one-shot.

clemon79

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2007, 12:05:05 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'158691\' date=\'Jul 26 2007, 08:58 AM\']
Wouldn't they almost have to?  Those set pieces weren't designed to travel any farther from the TV City scene dock to Studio 33 and back again.  The Vegas deal was only supposed to be a one-shot.
[/quote]
I think they probably would, yeah. Save for some of the newer games, which might have been built to travel. Golden Road or something would be easy, right?

pianogeek

• LET'S PLAY!
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2007, 12:10:49 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'158693\' date=\'Jul 26 2007, 12:05 PM\']
I think they probably would, yeah. Save for some of the newer games, which might have been built to travel. Golden Road or something would be easy, right?
[/quote]

That has me wondering does TV City still have the slightly smaller-scaled replicas of the TPIR doors used during the Gameshow Marathon.  Would it be feasible to use those?  HM.
-Sanford

clemon79

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2007, 12:54:15 PM »
[quote name=\'pianogeek\' post=\'158695\' date=\'Jul 26 2007, 09:10 AM\']
That has me wondering does TV City still have the slightly smaller-scaled replicas of the TPIR doors used during the Gameshow Marathon.
[/quote]
My memory of Gameshow Marathon (perhaps intentionally) is fuzzy. I thought they did TPiR in 33 and the rest of the series on the Marathon set?

pianogeek

• LET'S PLAY!
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2007, 01:25:44 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'158703\' date=\'Jul 26 2007, 12:54 PM\']
My memory of Gameshow Marathon (perhaps intentionally) is fuzzy. I thought they did TPiR in 33 and the rest of the series on the Marathon set?
[/quote]

Marathon, including whole TPIR episode, was done at 46(?).  (Someone confirm?)
-Sanford

aaron sica

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2007, 01:44:20 PM »
[quote name=\'weaklink75\' post=\'158684\' date=\'Jul 26 2007, 10:48 AM\']
What interested me was the mention that they're thinking of taking the show on the road....The key would be getting the right places to stage it (The Vegas episode a few years back was OK, but they probably needed a different venue..) Like if they did some NYC eps, I wouldn't go to Radio City Music Hall, I would try the Theater at Madison Square Garden (it's a little smaller)
[/quote]

Imagine the possibilities....Mountain Climber played on a real mountain in Switzerland!

Kevin Prather

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2007, 02:11:24 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'158688\' date=\'Jul 26 2007, 08:44 AM\']
[/quote]
Big stage, yes. But a big audience, particularly one with balconies, is a bad idea, as we saw in the Vegas episodes.

cmjb13

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2007, 02:11:37 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'158703\' date=\'Jul 26 2007, 12:54 PM\']
[quote name=\'pianogeek\' post=\'158695\' date=\'Jul 26 2007, 09:10 AM\']
That has me wondering does TV City still have the slightly smaller-scaled replicas of the TPIR doors used during the Gameshow Marathon.
[/quote]
[/quote]
The only thing Ricki did in 33 was a short intro in front of the doors with black tiles. It looked awful.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS