Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Is tape trading dead?  (Read 8860 times)

mrcity

Is tape trading dead?
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2007, 12:13:02 PM »
Well, that's pretty wild that people pulled all that stuff in the past!

I guess I do kinda have a story about a bad trader, and although he never pulled anything on me, he was more than happy to take advantage of the naive!  In trading with someone else, he assumed an alias, but still used the same email address he had previously used under his real name.  Then, he faked the alias' death and made up a completely ridiculous story that most any normal person would have dismissed as complete hogwash!  The guy ended up believing all of this, and proceeds to post on G-R about how he's not going to get the 9 hours of game shows owed to him.

Here is the link to the G-R posting.  It obviously didn't last long!

In the end, it looks like David didn't get much sympathy from the board, and Justin's outlandish story still makes me laugh to this day.

- Stephen
Mr. City's Game Show Site

Rastaub

Is tape trading dead?
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2007, 12:47:32 AM »
Being one of the lucky few scammed by the aforementioned Voisine, I have many a story to tell.  If it weren't on a former computer, I would quote verbatim from his emails, however from memory  the best nuggets er Whoppers were

Upon finding 3 tapes full of Cross Wits at an estate sale, he called Ralph Edwards productions and personally asked permission to trade the episodes. Voisine claimed Ralph himself not only took the time to personally speak to him, but send him more episodes from his personal collection along with old episodes of the Peoples Court.

Claiming that the museum of TV and Radio allowed him to dub copies of many shows at no cost, because he was active military(see below) .

Claiming that he had letters from Fed Ex stating that I had not one, but two batches of tapes he had sent me.  And, that his friends (that Chuck mentioned above) Alice and Philip also received the letters.

Claiming he had a mental illness and didnt know who I even was.

Claiming (in his original emails to me) that he was active military, a SGT I believe.

Once exposed as a fraud, he claimed that he would have military police arrest me for harassment if I continued to ask about the tapes.

TravisP

Is tape trading dead?
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2007, 01:03:12 PM »
[quote name=\'mitchgroff\' post=\'158822\' date=\'Jul 27 2007, 10:51 AM\']
I know that with the accessibility to torrents and other downloadable game shows, my urge to tape trade for foreign shows, at least, is not nearly as much as it once was. If I really want to see an English-speaking international game show that is currently airing, there is almost always some way to get it via broadband.
[/quote]

That's true, with UKNova nearly everything is uploaded these days, even some old stuff (Adventure Game, Treasure Hunt etc...) but not everybody has access to the site, while YouTube is limited to ten minutes. Also I have a very handy contact in Europe who sent me shows from France (1 Vs 100 & WoF) and Holland (Miljoenenjacht, Een tegen 100) but you cannot find them on torrents these days. Also with the move of the two major Postcode Lottery shows moving to RTL, they won't be available online to watch (unless that changes).

I would say tape trading is dead but in the form of using VHS but trading is still alive via DVD, much easier to produce and convert. Even duplicating a four hour DVD can take only 20-25 minutes.

I've read your request Matthew regarding Sudo-Q and GoldenBalls. I have got your email and will contact to sort something out.

Jay Temple

Is tape trading dead?
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2008, 03:14:20 PM »
Reviving this thread: Tape trading won't die as long as people have the experience I've had this weekend. My discs are coming up "unsupported format," "fail," "invalid disc," depending on which machine I use to attempt to view them. In some cases, the tapes were made only last year. That never happened with VHS!

Anyone know how I can retrieve shows like this?
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Is tape trading dead?
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2008, 03:17:03 PM »
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' post=\'174014\' date=\'Jan 6 2008, 12:14 PM\']
Reviving this thread: Tape trading won't die as long as people have the experience I've had this weekend.
[/quote]
Yes, because videotapes have never gotten eaten beyond repair. Come on, man.
Anyone know how I can retrieve shows like this?
Does a computer DVD drive still read them? Rip the VOBs and reburn, I would think.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

PYLW

Is tape trading dead?
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2008, 03:18:20 PM »
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' post=\'174014\' date=\'Jan 6 2008, 03:14 PM\'] Reviving this thread: Tape trading won't die as long as people have the experience I've had this weekend. My discs are coming up "unsupported format," "fail," "invalid disc," depending on which machine I use to attempt to view them. In some cases, the tapes were made only last year. That never happened with VHS!

Anyone know how I can retrieve shows like this? [/quote]

Doesn't it depend on the brand? I've heard that expensive brands of discs tend to last longer than the cheap brands (Like no name brands you find at dollar stores.)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 03:19:40 PM by PYLW »

JacksonBrowne1980

• I Played With The Toys At My Schools I Went To
Is tape trading dead?
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2008, 03:27:04 PM »
i started trading in 2005 and i got lots of tapes since then.
Erik "Taz" Mokracek

"Well, I Guess You Have To Be 35 Before Anyone Around Here Listens To You" - Alex Pruitt From "Home Alone 3"

Kevin Prather

Is tape trading dead?
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2008, 03:29:01 PM »
[quote name=\'JacksonBrowne1980\' post=\'174019\' date=\'Jan 6 2008, 12:27 PM\']
i started trading in 2005 and i got lots of tapes since then.
[/quote]
Best. Post. Evar.

/not really
« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 03:29:19 PM by whoserman »

TenPoundHammer

Is tape trading dead?
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2008, 09:27:05 AM »
I have amassed a great collection of stuff -- mostly my own, mostly from friends who were willing to give me stuff for free. However, because I don't know how to dub with a VCR (I tried it with six different VCRs and nothing worked), I never could tape trade. Furthermore, my tapes all got shuffled a year ago when we moved, so God knows what I did with that premiere ep of the 70s version of You Don't Say!, or the Showdown pilot... or those Classic Concentration credits I found on a tape that I got at a yard sale...