Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A little thought about BTB '76  (Read 5060 times)

kenbob_clarker

A little thought about BTB '76
« on: August 05, 2007, 03:02:20 PM »
First post in a while; hello again!

I was thinking about some random things driving home from church this morning, and one that happened to pass through my head was, how and why did the master copies of the ABC version of Break the Bank survive?  Didn't ABC destroy most of their game shows from the 70s?  What made BTB so special?
John 3:16.  The best news you'll ever read.

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2007, 03:08:42 PM »
[quote name=\'kenbob_clarker\' post=\'159681\' date=\'Aug 5 2007, 02:02 PM\']
First post in a while; hello again!

I was thinking about some random things driving home from church this morning, and one that happened to pass through my head was, how and why did the master copies of the ABC version of Break the Bank survive?  Didn't ABC destroy most of their game shows from the 70s?  What made BTB so special?
[/quote]

I think Barry and Enright saved just about all of their shows (from TJW on), so this, obviously, would be no exception.

Let's Make a Deal is another example of an ABC game that was saved (for the most part) by its producer.
Digital Media Producer, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

kenbob_clarker

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2007, 03:40:56 PM »
Hm... I thought that Goodson-Todman tried to save all their shows too, but ABC Password was destroyed nonetheless.

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2007, 03:49:23 PM »
[quote name=\'kenbob_clarker\' post=\'159684\' date=\'Aug 5 2007, 03:40 PM\']
Hm... I thought that Goodson-Todman tried to save all their shows too, but ABC Password was destroyed nonetheless.
[/quote]

And so was Showoffs, for that matter.

I'm not sure. Must have been some different circumstances that I hadn't known.
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services

PYLW

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2007, 04:15:56 PM »
[quote name=\'DoorNumberFour\' post=\'159686\' date=\'Aug 5 2007, 03:49 PM\']

And so was Showoffs, for that matter.
[/quote]
Was the deletion of Showoffs ever confirmed? And also for that matter, Mindreaders?

/I think I'm the only one who likes Mindreaders...
« Last Edit: August 05, 2007, 04:17:17 PM by PYLW »

kenbob_clarker

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2007, 04:33:35 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLW\' post=\'159689\' date=\'Aug 5 2007, 03:15 PM\']
/I think I'm the only one who likes Mindreaders...
[/quote]
Nah, it was okay.  Not great, but okay.  Power of 10 is actually looking like a modern descendant of Mindreaders, no?  I didn't know that Mindreaders was thought to be destroyed...

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2007, 04:35:22 PM »
[quote name=\'kenbob_clarker\' post=\'159694\' date=\'Aug 5 2007, 01:33 PM\']
I didn't know that Mindreaders was thought to be destroyed...
[/quote]
It's not really "thought" so much as "hoped"...
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2007, 10:18:21 PM »
[quote name=\'kenbob_clarker\' post=\'159694\' date=\'Aug 5 2007, 04:33 PM\']
I didn't know that Mindreaders was thought to be destroyed...
[/quote]

At the very least, it's missing in action. Here's Mandel Ilagan talking about not finding it in the vault when doing research for "Game Show Moments Gone Bananas."

The post

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2007, 11:16:57 PM »
[quote name=\'DoorNumberFour\' post=\'159683\' date=\'Aug 5 2007, 02:08 PM\']
Let's Make a Deal is another example of an ABC game that was saved (for the most part) by its producer.
[/quote]
I thought much of the daytime LMaD run was gone (and that the LMaD eps GSN runs with the "ABC Films" credit were either ABC prime-time episodes or early syndie shows--later syndie shows of course had the "WorldVision" logo).
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

BrandonFG

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2007, 11:30:18 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'159733\' date=\'Aug 5 2007, 11:16 PM\']
[/quote]
I thought much of the daytime LMaD run was gone (and that the LMaD eps GSN runs with the "ABC Films" credit were either ABC prime-time episodes or early syndie shows--later syndie shows of course had the "WorldVision" logo).
[/quote]
This brings up a question...I'm guessing the 1980 run* exists, but is there any reason why it's never shown up in the rerun packages of the last 25 years? Different syndicators makes a little sense, but Worldvision syndicated the 70s stuff and Telepictures in the 80s.

*Yes, I'm talking about that version again.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

dzinkin

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2007, 11:38:56 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'159735\' date=\'Aug 5 2007, 11:30 PM\']
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'159733\' date=\'Aug 5 2007, 11:16 PM\']
[/quote]
[/quote]
This brings up a question...I'm guessing the 1980 run* exists, but is there any reason why it's never shown up in the rerun packages of the last 25 years? Different syndicators makes a little sense, but Worldvision syndicated the 70s stuff and Telepictures in the 80s.
[/quote]
Perhaps different ownership, possibly related to the fact that it wasn't solely a Hatos-Hall production?

If true, that would explain the absence of not only the 1980 version from rerun packages, but the 1990 version as well; Catalena Productions co-produced the former and, IIRC, the latter was produced by Ron Greenberg and Dick Clark.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2007, 11:39:41 PM by dzinkin »

PYLW

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2007, 11:46:25 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'159735\' date=\'Aug 5 2007, 11:30 PM\']

*Yes, I'm talking about that version again. [/quote]

Wasn't that the cheapest version? I've seen listings on sites where the big deal was worth in the $4,000 range usually...Maybe that has something to do with it?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2007, 11:46:40 PM by PYLW »

Ian Wallis

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2007, 08:47:00 PM »
I always find it interesting what exists and doesn't exist from that era.  While I'm glad that Break the Bank exists, it's surprising that shows like The Better Sex, which actually came after BTB, don't seem to be around (except for scattered episodes).  

Since Barry-Enright was good at saving their shows, maybe they requested the masters from ABC soon after cancellation.  But even if that was the case, you'd figure they'd have done the same with The Joker's Wild too - but for almost 3 decades the first two years of the CBS run were thought to be destroyed.

You'd still have to wonder why Goodson didn't grab his ABC stuff from that era...maybe he mistakenly thought masters were being saved by the network and he could get them anytime(?)
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2007, 10:23:02 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'160281\' date=\'Aug 11 2007, 07:47 PM\']
I always find it interesting what exists and doesn't exist from that era.  While I'm glad that Break the Bank exists, it's surprising that shows like The Better Sex, which actually came after BTB, don't seem to be around (except for scattered episodes).
[/quote]

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I could have SWORN that the entire run of The Better Sex exists in GSN's vault.

dzinkin

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2007, 10:42:59 PM »
[quote name=\'DoorNumberFour\' post=\'160286\' date=\'Aug 11 2007, 10:23 PM\']
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'160281\' date=\'Aug 11 2007, 07:47 PM\']
[/quote]
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I could have SWORN that the entire run of The Better Sex exists in GSN's vault.
[/quote]
Based on what, out of curiosity?