Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: That (Censored) Quiz Show  (Read 7560 times)

Ian Wallis

That (Censored) Quiz Show
« Reply #45 on: August 23, 2007, 06:03:34 PM »
As for That...Quiz Show, I'm surprised it got on the air at all.  I always thought these shows had to have a certain percentage of the market to make it profitable to go ahead with production.  It doesn't sound like this was carried in too many places - I've never seen it, and I don't recall seeing it listed in any TVGuide I have.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #46 on: August 23, 2007, 06:39:01 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'161785\' date=\'Aug 23 2007, 06:03 PM\']
As for That...Quiz Show, I'm surprised it got on the air at all.  I always thought these shows had to have a certain percentage of the market to make it profitable to go ahead with production.  It doesn't sound like this was carried in too many places - I've never seen it, and I don't recall seeing it listed in any TVGuide I have.
[/quote]

I don't think it went much beyond the Metromedia stations.  Looking at my TV Guides of the era, Channel 11 in LA had it at 11pm from 10/4-11/26/82.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

clanky06

« Reply #47 on: August 23, 2007, 07:01:01 PM »
Gee—what did I start here! The "reality" TV discussion made me think—what genre would you put Truth or Consequences in? Thanks to this link there are several WMV videos accessible from a lower right pane, including Truth or Consequences. The end of this clip features one of TV's funniest moments. (Another one, IMHO is the Tim Conway - Harvey Korman dentist/novocaine skit on The Carol Burnett Show.) Tim Allen stole (paid for?) the TorC idea for a Home Improvement episode.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #48 on: August 23, 2007, 07:11:04 PM »
[quote name=\'clanky06\' post=\'161795\' date=\'Aug 23 2007, 07:01 PM\']
Gee—what did I start here! The "reality" TV discussion made me think—what genre would you put Truth or Consequences in? Thanks to this link there are several WMV videos accessible from a lower right pane, including Truth or Consequences. The end of this clip features one of TV's funniest moments. (Another one, IMHO is the Tim Conway - Harvey Korman dentist/novocaine skit on The Carol Burnett Show.) Tim Allen stole (paid for?) the TorC idea for a Home Improvement episode.
[/quote]

Audience Participation. Same as "It Could Be You."

DJDustman

« Reply #49 on: August 23, 2007, 10:06:51 PM »
Love Connection is a game show. Ahahaha. Just kidding.

I was reading about That's Incredible on Wikipedia (I know, not the best source) and how seven people were killed doing a certain stunt, was it during taping in the studio or what?

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #50 on: August 23, 2007, 10:15:11 PM »
[quote name=\'DJDustman\' post=\'161825\' date=\'Aug 23 2007, 10:06 PM\']
Love Connection is a game show. Ahahaha. Just kidding.

I was reading about That's Incredible on Wikipedia (I know, not the best source) and how seven people were killed doing a certain stunt, was it during taping in the studio or what?
[/quote]

That's not quite what it said.  It said that seven people have been killed over the years trying to catch a bullet between their teeth.  Not, however, while on this show.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #51 on: August 23, 2007, 11:26:24 PM »
FWIW, since it didn't come across in the post, my thing about reality being a later coined term was in support - we shouldn't be calling "Real People" a reality show retroactively. But things have devolved far from that point in the past 10 or so hours...

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #52 on: August 23, 2007, 11:48:15 PM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' post=\'161850\' date=\'Aug 23 2007, 08:26 PM\']
FWIW, since it didn't come across in the post, my thing about reality being a later coined term was in support - we shouldn't be calling "Real People" a reality show retroactively. But things have devolved far from that point in the past 10 or so hours...
[/quote]
Well, no, if it fit the definition, of course you could. But it doesn't.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Ian Wallis

« Reply #53 on: August 24, 2007, 05:49:16 PM »
Gee—what did I start here! The "reality" TV discussion made me think—what genre would you put Truth or Consequences in?

I'd consider it audience participation - leaning towards game.  

There are several other shows I can think of which don't quite fit, but are close enough.  Dating Game, Gong Show, Love Experts and Don Adams Screen Test are a few others that are considered game shows, even though you could probably make a case against them.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

narzo

« Reply #54 on: August 25, 2007, 01:14:36 PM »
[quote name=\'clanky06\' post=\'161660\' date=\'Aug 22 2007, 05:19 PM\']
There was a discussion over at an Avid video editing forum about the all-time worst TV show. This link was posted:  Old TV Tickets

Has this show been discussed before on this forum?
[/quote]

Pardon the intrusion as I try and swing this back on topic.  

The show aired on KMSP in Minneapolis in the 10 pm slot.  At the time IIRC it was a chris-craft station so I'm guessing that group bought the show for it's stations.  At one point in the run they aired the pilot which was called "That AWFUL quiz show" but made a point to bleep over the word "awful" every time it was uttered.