Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Let's Pretend We're Actually Talking!  (Read 5925 times)

Jeremy Nelson

Let's Pretend We're Actually Talking!
« on: August 27, 2007, 03:15:29 AM »
I just saw an ep of Family Guy where Tom Tucker (the town's news anchor) deliberately just moves his mouth while the closing news theme is being played. That made me wonder: What do people actually talk about to the host/ celebrity during the closing credits? Does anybody have an interesting story from the winner's circle/center stage/etc.?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 03:16:27 AM by rollercoaster87 »
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

BrandonFG

« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 03:21:51 AM »
[quote name=\'rollercoaster87\' post=\'162002\' date=\'Aug 27 2007, 03:15 AM\']
I just saw an ep of Family Guy where Tom Tucker (the town's news anchor) deliberately just moves his mouth while the closing news theme is being played. That made me wonder: What do people actually talk about to the host/ celebrity during the closing credits? Does anybody have an interesting story from the winner's circle/center stage/etc.?
[/quote]
Back in the ATGS era, c. 1998, a Jeopardy! contestant mentioned that Alex discussed the day's Final Jeopardy!, and how he didn't expect any of the contestants to answer correctly.

I'm guessing they discuss anything and everything, whether it be the results of that day's game(s), or an anecdote related to one of the questions.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Steve McClellan

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007, 03:56:12 AM »
I recall my chat with Pat and Vanna included a bit about my reaction to seeing a larger amount in my bonus envelope. (Pat: "It was a good 'whoo'.") I'm sure there was other stuff, but I was exhausted by then, and somehow it seemed like my mind was elsewhere.

joshg

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2007, 04:19:14 AM »
When Ben and I were on 'Lingo' the first time in 2002, we chatted about the fact that no team had ever gotten all 10 words before in the bonus round. And, after the tape stopped, he signed pictures for us.

A fun memory, indeed.

Josh
Because Chiffon Wrinkles...

vtown7

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2007, 07:24:26 AM »
I'm with Steve - my body was on overdrive when I got to the credit chat.  After walking from beside a $42K Saab, Pat asked me about where Toronto was from where I lived at the time, and then I wished Vanna good luck with her newborn.

To be honest, the money was great to have won, although I was thrilled more to do the credit chat and come back for the Friday finals when I won my episode (with enough cash)!

Ryan.

tvrandywest

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2007, 10:24:50 AM »
On TTTT90 I asked Kitty Carlisle what it was to have dated Moses.

In truth, she made a point of telling me that she was sure that I was the central figure and commented on one of the bluff answers I gave.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

Ian Wallis

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2007, 05:38:18 PM »
I remember seeing something in a TVGuide back in the late '70s where a former contestant was recalling his experience on Joker's Wild.  He said that during the closing of one of this shows, Jack came over and said "...this is the part of the show where I'm suppose to make small talk with the contestants, so pretend we're talking".  Then Jack just mouthed some words and didn't actually say anything.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2007, 05:43:04 PM »
When I worked at the TV station, one day I came in and the anchors were on-set filming some clips for promos. The idea was that they would be chattering amongst themselves, and then suddenly stop and look at the camera (and by extension, into the VERY SOUL of the viewer).

They weren't miked, and their bit was only supposed to run a couple seconds (I think it was an insert into a Fox-provided promo), so basically they said "We're talking. Here we are talking. See, we're talking" and then did their turn on cue.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Casey Buck

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2007, 05:43:26 PM »
On some episodes of Supermarket Sweep, you can hear David Ruprecht talking to the contestants during the credits, if the bonus round was lost (while David shows the players where the products that they missed were).
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 05:44:17 PM by Casey Buck »

BrandonFG

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2007, 06:12:21 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'162065\' date=\'Aug 27 2007, 05:38 PM\']
I remember seeing something in a TVGuide back in the late '70s where a former contestant was recalling his experience on Joker's Wild.  He said that during the closing of one of this shows, Jack came over and said "...this is the part of the show where I'm suppose to make small talk with the contestants, so pretend we're talking".  Then Jack just mouthed some words and didn't actually say anything.
[/quote]
As much as I liked TJW, I found Jack to be somewhat of a condescending jerk on-air. If that story is true, then it pretty much confirms my thoughts.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

whewfan

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2007, 07:40:12 PM »
We know from watching clips on YouTube that O'Hurley on Family Feud does make some comments and small talk during the credits, nothing groundbreaking, but at least it's not phony.

BrandonFG

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2007, 08:08:33 PM »
[quote name=\'whewfan\' post=\'162077\' date=\'Aug 27 2007, 07:40 PM\']
We know from watching clips on YouTube that O'Hurley on Family Feud does make some comments and small talk during the credits, nothing groundbreaking, but at least it's not phony.
[/quote]
Well, that happens on a lot of shows, i.e. Millionaire, Wheel, Jeopardy!, and some others. You also see it on some of GSN's original shows, if you can make it out through the squeeze. :-P

The question is, what are they saying? Is it real conversation, or is it the host humoring the viewers like Jack Barry?

xavier45

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2007, 08:27:29 PM »
[quote name=\'Casey Buck\' post=\'162067\' date=\'Aug 27 2007, 05:43 PM\']
On some episodes of Supermarket Sweep, you can hear David Ruprecht talking to the contestants during the credits, if the bonus round was lost (while David shows the players where the products that they missed were).
[/quote]
Same thing happened on Super Password.

I am glad this question was asked. I always wondered if the hosts and contestants were actually talking.

TheGameShowGuy

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2007, 08:38:22 PM »
When I was on Millionaire, my friend Steve (McClellan) had just given me the correct answer as my PAF and the horn sounded. During the credits Meredith ask me something about Steve - who was on the show less than a year before me and I also told her how happy I was I didn't miss any of the first 5... as Steve (and many others )  well know was  a fear that overtook me for the three weeks between the call and the taping day.

tomobrien

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2007, 10:33:31 PM »
At the close of Jeopardy!, Alex came over and reminded us players how badly we had done in the "Photography" category in Double Jeopardy.

During the taping of credit roll for Millionaire (which we had to do twice to cover possible schedule changes), Regis told me, "Don't do anything stupid tomorrow.  If you don't know the million-dollar question, just walk."