Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "Come on Down" In Stores  (Read 8137 times)

tpirfan28

"Come on Down" In Stores
« on: September 04, 2007, 04:37:19 PM »
Just wanted to let everyone know that Stan's TPiR book, "Come on Down! Behind the Big Doors at The Price is Right" has been released.  

I picked up a copy at Barnes and Noble...and is an excellent read.  Lots of good behind-the-scenes stuff.

And as an addendum to what David posted about the TPiR DVD set, according to the ad at the back of the book, a 2nd edition DVD game should be released in 2008.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

gtbecbp

"Come on Down" In Stores
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2007, 08:10:15 PM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'162699\' date=\'Sep 4 2007, 03:37 PM\']
Just wanted to let everyone know that Stan's TPiR book, "Come on Down! Behind the Big Doors at The Price is Right" has been released.  

I picked up a copy at Barnes and Noble...and is an excellent read.  Lots of good behind-the-scenes stuff.

And as an addendum to what David posted about the TPiR DVD set, according to the ad at the back of the book, a 2nd edition DVD game should be released in 2008.
[/quote]

I'm waiting on my pre-order to come in from Amazon- I'm pretty excited.

~Ben

whewfan

"Come on Down" In Stores
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2007, 05:38:18 AM »
I too bought the book yesterday. Lots of behind the scenes info, with no mention of any scandal or controversy (Stan does mention the accident with Janice and one of the cameras).

This book has lots of great pictures. Stan recounts the many interviews he's had with potential contestants, and catches up with the ones that won a lot of money and prizes on the show. He also recalls a couple of interviews that didn't go so well and a funny story involving an ineligible contestant.

As someone had said in Golden-Road.net, there is a foreward by Bob Barker, but don't expect much, it's very brief.

WhammyPower

"Come on Down" In Stores
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2007, 01:25:30 PM »
[quote name=\'gtbecbp\' post=\'162733\' date=\'Sep 4 2007, 07:10 PM\'] I'm waiting on my pre-order to come in from Amazon- I'm pretty excited.[/quote]
Same here.  I also ordered the 1 vs 100 DVD game, so I could get free shipping.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 01:25:39 PM by WhammyPower »

cmjb13

"Come on Down" In Stores
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2007, 05:47:13 PM »
It's a good read.

I did notice when he listed retired pricing games, one was "Masterpiece".

I also found it interesting around the time of Fritz' disappearance, after a contestant lost on Cliffhangers, Dennis James jokingly said "There's goes Fritz"
« Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 05:48:12 PM by cmjb13 »
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

BrandonFG

"Come on Down" In Stores
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2007, 05:55:02 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' post=\'162846\' date=\'Sep 5 2007, 05:47 PM\']
I did notice when he listed retired pricing games, one was "Masterpiece".
[/quote]
I'm guessing this one was Art Gallery, or whatever it was called?

I also found it interesting around the time of Fritz' disappearance, after a contestant lost on Cliffhangers, Dennis James jokingly said "There's goes Fritz"
What's more wrong: the joke or the fact that I lol'd? :-)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 05:55:29 PM by fostergray82 »
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

cmjb13

"Come on Down" In Stores
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2007, 06:01:46 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'162847\' date=\'Sep 5 2007, 05:55 PM\']
[/quote]
It wasn't Gallery Game. That was already on the list.

What's more wrong: the joke or the fact that I lol'd? :-)
Stan said Dennis said it accidentally and unknowingly. I lol'd as well.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 06:05:09 PM by cmjb13 »
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Steve Gavazzi

"Come on Down" In Stores
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2007, 07:51:15 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' post=\'162848\' date=\'Sep 5 2007, 06:01 PM\']
[/quote]
It wasn't Gallery Game. That was already on the list.[/quote]

I'm under the impression that it was.  And the same list has Check-Out on it, so it's not like there weren't any other mistakes.

tvwxman

"Come on Down" In Stores
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2007, 11:53:53 PM »
saw it at the store today....didn't look interesting. seriously. sorry, but i'm not interested in someone sharing how today's pir works. it doesn't work for me, so why should i buy a book for 18 bucks to tell me?
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

HYHYBT

"Come on Down" In Stores
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2007, 03:37:36 AM »
I also found it interesting around the time of Fritz' disappearance, after a contestant lost on Cliffhangers, Dennis James jokingly said "There's goes Fritz"[/quote]
Did he ever reappear?
"If you ask me to repeat this I'm gonna punch you right in the nose" -- Geoff Edwards, Play the Percentages

davemackey

"Come on Down" In Stores
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2007, 04:56:41 PM »
[quote name=\'HYHYBT\' post=\'162923\' date=\'Sep 6 2007, 03:37 AM\']
I also found it interesting around the time of Fritz' disappearance, after a contestant lost on Cliffhangers, Dennis James jokingly said "There's goes Fritz"[/quote]
Did he ever reappear?
[/quote]
Who? Fritz or Dennis James?

ClockGameJohn

"Come on Down" In Stores
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2007, 08:34:23 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' post=\'162848\' date=\'Sep 5 2007, 06:01 PM\']
[/quote]
It wasn't Gallery Game. That was already on the list.
[/quote]

Gallery Game was initially planned to be called Masterpiece.  A few other games have been planned under one name, and debuted under another.

HYHYBT

"Come on Down" In Stores
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2007, 12:22:18 AM »
[quote name=\'davemackey\' post=\'163053\' date=\'Sep 7 2007, 04:56 PM\']
[quote name=\'HYHYBT\' post=\'162923\' date=\'Sep 6 2007, 03:37 AM\']
Did he ever reappear?
[/quote]
Who? Fritz or Dennis James?
[/quote]
Fritz.... but never mind, my copy of the book came in.
"If you ask me to repeat this I'm gonna punch you right in the nose" -- Geoff Edwards, Play the Percentages

Bob Zager

"Come on Down" In Stores
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2007, 10:54:01 AM »
I just picked up a copy yesterday, and I noticed on the back cover the notation:  "Cover photographs by Lisa Stahl!"  I assume it is the same person, who served as a model on the '94 syndicated show!

Mario500

"Come on Down" In Stores
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2007, 06:12:07 PM »
Monday night, I obtained "Come on Down" after a two week wait due to the local Books-A-Million store not having a copy of the book upon my first visit to the store. Here is my book review:

"Come on Down: Behind the Big Doors at The Price is Right" by Stan Blits and its subject both share a couple of things in common: they are fun and fast paced and they have the same writer to credit. Stan Blits, co-producer, staff writer, music director, and contestant coordinator of the long running TV game show "The Price is Right" shares with readers the stories of how the show came to be and how it continues to be with us everyday since 1972.

From the writer's acknowledgement of his fellow staff to his own version of the show in book form, readers, including folks with great interest in the subject and want to know more, will be taking in every word with very little reason to slow down except for some rest. Pictures from the show's archives and recent times decorate the book, making it more enjoyable and worthy of a place in your home library.

Stan Blits' writing style, informative as well as humorous, makes you want to keep going. Plus, the word font is easy to read. Readers with great knowledge of the show due to the immediate resources available may want to take a look at "Come on Down", for it is written from a perspective within the show.

You may not find everything you want to know about the show, mainly the rough times covered by various reporters and certain TV programs over the years, but Stan Blits was right to present the show from a more positive perspective compared to how they did it. It makes sense for a book about "The Price is Right", as written by a longtime producer, to be this good.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 01:41:22 PM by Mario500 »